Old 01-08-2020, 05:43 PM
Par Member

Niced 58 Times in 41 Posts

Here is a tip that has saved me strokes.

Don’t be afraid to lay up and take a par.

When I first started doing tournaments I would run long putts that I had little chance of making. If I didn’t draw metal I would sail past the basket leaving myself an equally long putt coming back the other way and if I missed that putt then I was looking at a bogey at best. In other words, rather than risk a long birdie and end up with bogey I started laying up and taking the sure par. Probably saved me three or four strokes per game.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2020, 09:15 AM

Years Playing: 0.7
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post
Here is a tip that has saved me strokes.

Don’t be afraid to lay up and take a par.

When I first started doing tournaments I would run long putts that I had little chance of making. If I didn’t draw metal I would sail past the basket leaving myself an equally long putt coming back the other way and if I missed that putt then I was looking at a bogey at best. In other words, rather than risk a long birdie and end up with bogey I started laying up and taking the sure par. Probably saved me three or four strokes per game.
I understand the logic completely behind that, but I always grew up taking the risk with sports. I've heard a lot of "have fun" which might lead to less laying up than would be smart. lol
Old 01-09-2020, 11:41 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,077 Times in 635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Fairbanks.1023 View Post
I figured what better place to play competitively at first.
Have you paid competitively at local minis where you pay anywhere from 5-20.00 to play against other players? Typically they have divisions where you could play against other similar skilled players. If you answer no..to this.. then I would disagree with your comment above.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:39 PM
Par Member

Niced 58 Times in 41 Posts

Yeah, if the only thing on the line is a score or bragging rights or even just a tag I will often make bold moves. If there’s money on the line I try and make smart shots.
Old 01-09-2020, 05:16 PM

Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
Have you paid competitively at local minis where you pay anywhere from 5-20.00 to play against other players? Typically they have divisions where you could play against other similar skilled players. If you answer no..to this.. then I would disagree with your comment above.
I'm not quite following? So it wouldn't be smart to play my first tournament at my home course? (That's what I was alluding to).

The only time I've played for any money is when some of the league guys get together for random doubles, but I wouldn't consider that the same.
Old 01-09-2020, 05:19 PM

Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post
Yeah, if the only thing on the line is a score or bragging rights or even just a tag I will often make bold moves. If there’s money on the line I try and make smart shots.
I would have to agree, depending on how much money I suppose. If it's an inconsequential dollar amount then I'd rather have the peace of mind knowing that I'm trying to make what is now a risky/tough shot more routine. I grew up playing golf watching Tiger in his prime so the "go for it" mentality seems to have stuck lol.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:49 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 39
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 137 Times in 79 Posts

Well, Rec is fine. Have fun, and manage your score. Go for birdies when it makes sense, pars are good and know when to let a stroke go so you don't lose 2 or more.
Send us a picture of your winning if all goes well.

Quote:
So I've been playing consistently (at least once a week) for about 4 months. I just registered for my 1st tournament. That being said, it's an unsanctioned tournament at my local course in early March. I figured what better place to play competitively at first.

I don't want this to come off conceited, but how would I know if I should play Rec or intermediate? I've gotten mixed opinions from the guys in my local club. I can "bomb" and scramble pretty well considering how new I am, so I would hate to show up have other guys get mad if I run away with it...not saying that that's going to happen. I really have no idea. Are there general rules of thumb for divisions? I was thinking play Rec at least until I win a sanctioned rec tourney then possibly move up?

Any opinions would be appreciated
Old 01-10-2020, 12:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
I'm not quite following? So it wouldn't be smart to play my first tournament at my home course? (That's what I was alluding to).

The only time I've played for any money is when some of the league guys get together for random doubles, but I wouldn't consider that the same.
Paying money to play in local minis helps prepare for the mental adjustment of playing in your first real PDGA event. People always react differently when money is on the line. lol..

Now...if you're goal is to just have fun with no care how you play, or how anyone else plays, you're just there for the "experience" then by all means go for it. But some people don't like the tournament scene due to many reasons. It can be very serious, very quiet, someone who is a rule nut will question/call everything, etc, etc. People you play with casually all of a sudden get "serious" because they want to win merch, trophy, etc, etc. Yes, all this happens even in the rec division from time to time. lol..

I've played in over 100 tournaments, they are a blast, but there is definitely a learning curve when it comes to playing in them. Especially the pace, if you're a fast player or routinely play by yourself, I would suggest slowing way..down..when you play. lol.. Good luck!
Old 01-10-2020, 12:30 PM

Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
Paying money to play in local minis helps prepare for the mental adjustment of playing in your first real PDGA event. People always react differently when money is on the line. lol..

Now...if you're goal is to just have fun with no care how you play, or how anyone else plays, you're just there for the "experience" then by all means go for it. But some people don't like the tournament scene due to many reasons. It can be very serious, very quiet, someone who is a rule nut will question/call everything, etc, etc. People you play with casually all of a sudden get "serious" because they want to win merch, trophy, etc, etc. Yes, all this happens even in the rec division from time to time. lol..

I've played in over 100 tournaments, they are a blast, but there is definitely a learning curve when it comes to playing in them. Especially the pace, if you're a fast player or routinely play by yourself, I would suggest slowing way..down..when you play. lol.. Good luck!
Haha thanks for the clarification. I've played other sports for money and am better under pressure so my thought is that having money on the line should only help me, as weird as that sounds. As for the pace of play, I've played by myself and in a gang of 12 people so I've been exposed to both. This tournament scene sounds very similar to my high school golf team...should be interesting lol. Thanks!

Niced: (1)

Old 01-10-2020, 04:35 PM
* Ace Member *

^^^ you are good to go! Good luck and let us know how you do.