Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 01-16-2020, 01:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 789 Times in 427 Posts

Sent you a PM, no need to drag it out here. But since you asked...
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2020, 07:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 748 Times in 584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeHyzer View Post
Myself, I recently discovered the distance potential of poppy top Star Mamba's. I usually throw S-Line Emperors for my golf distance shots(350-400 depending on the shot I'm throwing). However, a buddy that owns a brick and mortar disc golf shop turned me on to these poppy top Mamba's and it's been pretty amazing. For as narrow as the rim is, these things go forever. Thrown with a bit of hyzer, they flatten up about the 250 mark, fly straight another 50, turn over a little for another 100 and then hyzer back the last 25-50. I've had a few shots that amazingly hit the 450 mark, which for me is an absolute crush because I normally max out at 400 on a good toss.
I agree on the Mamba. I don't throw them often, and they don't really suit my game. However, they are probably the longest speed 11 disc I know of. Every once in a while in the field I'll take a heavy star or champion Mamba out to mess around with. Really long hyzerflips. I've probably gone 450' with a Mamba as well.

The Mamba isn't consistent for me at all. Way too flippy. If you miss your release angle even a little bit the disc will turn and burn ridiculously.

Another somewhat similar disc capable of big yardage is the Mystere. Not quite as flippy as the Mamba. Same general flight though.

Most Mambas for me are 11, 6, -4, 2. Too much high speed turn to really lay into.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by Twmccoy; 01-16-2020 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 748 Times in 584 Posts
Default 2020 longest discs

I'm not going to start a new thread on this, but I'll just list what are currently my longest discs. Some things change in a couple years, and some don't.

1: G* Shryke. This disc was at the top of my list 2 years ago, and it still is. SUPER long driver. Flippy, but still capable of taking a lot of arm. The 6 glide rating is what really makes the difference with the G* Shryke. It just floats out there longer than any other mold consistently.

2: L64 Knight. This disc is simply incredible. Its the fastest, widest-rimmed driver in the Trilogy lineup. For me its also the longest. Not as touchy as a King, Ballista, or Destiny. Faster than all 3. Just a hair less glide than a Shryke. I will call this the most underrated distance driver I've ever seen. No one throws them.

3: Star Tern. Oldie, but a goodie. Very few molds can match or surpass a star Tern for sheer distance. They can be erratically flippy, but hitting the right release angle will yield pretty much unparalleled distance.

4: G* Katana. The Katana has always been on my radar as being a long mold, but in G* plastic its tough to beat. Similar to the Knight in flight. Flippy, but still able to handle good power. I've thrown 3 or 4 G* Katanas in the last year, and all have been ridiculously long and glidey.

5: Relativity: A newcomer to the list. Very erratic flier, and quite understable. Top shelf distance when you smash it just right though. Easily the longest mold I've thrown in the MVP/Axiom family.

Honorable mentions: Captain, Ballista.

On the radar: Corvette, Sheriff, Raider, Colossus.

Old 01-16-2020, 09:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 21 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Maniac View Post
I may have you mistaken for another user on DGR like 10 years ago. I know jubuttib or whatever the spelling was is another person.... Dont mind me im just reminiscing
I'm definitely not new on this site, but my memory isn't great lol
Old 01-17-2020, 09:39 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17
Courses Played: 101
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 188 Times in 94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I agree on the Mamba. I don't throw them often, and they don't really suit my game. However, they are probably the longest speed 11 disc I know of. Every once in a while in the field I'll take a heavy star or champion Mamba out to mess around with. Really long hyzerflips. I've probably gone 450' with a Mamba as well.

The Mamba isn't consistent for me at all. Way too flippy. If you miss your release angle even a little bit the disc will turn and burn ridiculously.

Another somewhat similar disc capable of big yardage is the Mystere. Not quite as flippy as the Mamba. Same general flight though.

Most Mambas for me are 11, 6, -4, 2. Too much high speed turn to really lay into.
I only throw it when I know there's no trouble to get into It usually works for me 2 out of every 3 throws. I'll take those odds in the open. I have learned my lesson trying to thread the needle with a Mamba. The lesson is, don't.

Niced: (2)
Old 01-17-2020, 05:44 PM
I'm With Her

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,296 Times in 1,690 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeHyzer View Post
I only throw it when I know there's no trouble to get into It usually works for me 2 out of every 3 throws. I'll take those odds in the open. I have learned my lesson trying to thread the needle with a Mamba. The lesson is, don't.
Generally agree. The Mamba is a lot of fun to throw, but can be inconsistent in windy conditions or when thrown with poor form. Mysteres are good discs, but there are supply issues with them, especially in the weights I prefer. Right now I'm really liking discs in Pro plastic, so I'm liking Pro Wraiths, Pro Terns, and Pro Shrykes and I-blend Pharaohs.

Old 01-17-2020, 06:54 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17
Courses Played: 101
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 188 Times in 94 Posts

I’ll give honorable mention to the I-Blend Emperor. It’s a flat out bomber of a disc too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2020, 08:48 PM

Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

I'm gonna second my blizzard katanarecommendation I played the other day with a nice player who is throwing broken in star destroyer am I katana was going 50 to 100 past them with 9 out of 10 good shots

Old 01-18-2020, 08:56 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 10
Niced 51 Times in 29 Posts

For controlled distance its a 166 Zeus. For all out max Distance it’s the Big Z Nuke.