Old 01-18-2020, 10:04 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 108 Times in 68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusch_bag View Post
I saw someone on reddit post some flight numbers, but I do not see them anywhere. Am I blind?
10/4/0/3
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2020, 11:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 748 Times in 584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechamp View Post
10/4/0/3
Innova already makes a driver with those exact numbers..... the Starfire! Only they would do something like this.

Kinda like with the Thunderbird and Savant.

I appreciate the need to keep things fresh and release new stuff, but Innova has created a HUGE glut in their driver lineup. Lots of overlap. It can be confusing to people who don't know discs very well.

Niced: (2)
Old 01-18-2020, 11:19 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,716 Times in 750 Posts

And most people I know who know discs well can't throw them well anyway.

Old 01-18-2020, 12:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 129
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 950 Times in 417 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
Innova already makes a driver with those exact numbers..... the Starfire! Only they would do something like this.

Kinda like with the Thunderbird and Savant.

I appreciate the need to keep things fresh and release new stuff, but Innova has created a HUGE glut in their driver lineup. Lots of overlap. It can be confusing to people who don't know discs very well.
I thought that the Savant was more of a direct overlap with the Viking. (And, fwiw, Discmania's CD2.) Whereas the Thunderbird is more overstable.

But more importantly:
This new driver in the Starfire slot seems like it's specifically designed to compete with the Discraft Anax. Which is hilarious to me, because I took the Anax to be a pretty blatant attempt at a Discraft McThunderbird or McPD clone. So now they're just exchanging blows in the stable/OS control driver arena. (Which is fine with me!)
Old 01-18-2020, 12:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 748 Times in 584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowBot View Post
I thought that the Savant was more of a direct overlap with the Viking. (And, fwiw, Discmania's CD2.) Whereas the Thunderbird is more overstable.

But more importantly:
This new driver in the Starfire slot seems like it's specifically designed to compete with the Discraft Anax. Which is hilarious to me, because I took the Anax to be a pretty blatant attempt at a Discraft McThunderbird or McPD clone. So now they're just exchanging blows in the stable/OS control driver arena. (Which is fine with me!)
I just think its silly to put out 2 discs with the exact same numbers. I mean, what are the differences here? Rim depth and width?

For a 10, 4, 0, 3 flight the Starfire has it covered. I can't really imagine what else someone could want in that slot.
Old 01-18-2020, 02:10 PM
Double Eagle Member

The counterpoint would be that people might like different hand feels. I've always thought it made sense to have a beaded OS putter and non-beaded OS putter in the lineup, even if they have identical flight numbers.

You can kinda make the same argument for drivers. For example, think of the Roadrunner and Sidewinder. Depending on material and wear, they can fly all the same lines. (Flight numbers be damned!) But the difference in my mind is that the Sidewinder wing is concave on bottom, whereas the Roadrunner wing is basically straight. So if you have a strong preference on that hand feel difference* then there's plenty of room in the lineup for both molds.

*I'm really teeing this up for ODRB...

Last edited by ThrowBot; 01-18-2020 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Elaine Ane
Old 01-18-2020, 02:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 32
Niced 671 Times in 407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowBot View Post
The counterpoint would be that people might like different hand feels. I've always thought it made sense to have a beaded OS putter and non-beaded OS putter in the lineup, even if they have identical flight numbers.

You can kinda make the same argument for drivers. For example, think of the Roadrunner and Sidewinder. Depending on material and wear, they can fly all the same lines. (Flight numbers be damned!) But the difference in my mind is that the Sidewinder wing is concave on bottom, whereas the Roadrunner wing is basically straight. So if you have a strong preference on that hand feel difference* then there's plenty of room in the lineup for both molds.

*I'm really teeing this up for ODRB...
Hand feel is crucial ThrowBot. That issue came up for me recently where I dropped the BuzzzOS for the Caiman. They have very similar flights with the Caiman being a touch more stable. Caiman is just much more comfortable.

I really like stopping by brick & mortar stores to fondle the inventory & see what feels right instead of buying blind on the interwebs.

Definitely room to have two molds with the same flight #s but different feels.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-18-2020, 04:19 PM
I'm With Her

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,296 Times in 1,690 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I just think its silly to put out 2 discs with the exact same numbers. I mean, what are the differences here? Rim depth and width?

For a 10, 4, 0, 3 flight the Starfire has it covered. I can't really imagine what else someone could want in that slot.
Flight numbers are not the Gospel: they are neither standardized nor consistent, and should only be used for general reference. The new Invictus might fly just like a Starfire, or it might not. Time will tell if the Invictus is a new Starfire or a new Monster... or neither...

(Note: this is not aimed specifically at Twmccoy; I just happened to hit 'quote' to his post...)

Last edited by SD86; 01-18-2020 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,512 Times in 1,889 Posts

Hmmmm another useless OS disc...pass.

Niced: (2)

Old 01-18-2020, 04:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

Yeah, hand feel is such a funny thing in my game.

For drivers, I used to not care 1 iota about hand feel. Since I started working more on my backhand that has changed a lot. Also, the observation was made (here on DGCR) that a lot of my favorite drivers have a low profile grip on the inside of the rim. That was an eye-opening revelation for me; maybe I had a subconscious hand feel preference that I didn't even realize! But on a side note: I think the Tern is TOO shallow on the grip. Or else my fingers have gotten too chubby, lol.

For putters and mids, bead vs. no bead is my main consideration for hand feel. I like to backhand beaded discs, and for the longest time I could ONLY forehand non-beaded. Two things have changed that:

1.) I realized that I can 1-finger flick a Roc with a slightly looser grip than is required to get a driver up to speed. And man, Rocs do great things. This is an area where I think my game has room to grow still.

2.) Switch to a 2-finger "peace sign" grip on putter FH throws. This move is straight outta my old Ultimate go-to playbook, but it took me a long time to get comfortable with it when throwing golf discs.

So in summary:
Yeah, hand feel is a big deal. That's why I don't mind overlap in the "flight numbers" of different molds in a manufacturer's lineup.