Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 01-17-2020, 09:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 28
Niced 49 Times in 30 Posts

Thanks for the advice so far. Two of the discs I thought might get mentioned for this are the Freedom and King. Is there a reason nobody has mentioned these? I have thrown the Freedom a bit and at first I tried to hyzerflip it, but it was too beefy for me to do that. When released flat I was getting some nice S shots, but have only done this throw like twice. I haven't thrown a King at all. Maybe these discs are too fast for 350' distance?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2020, 10:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 748 Times in 584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skurf View Post
Thanks for the advice so far. Two of the discs I thought might get mentioned for this are the Freedom and King. Is there a reason nobody has mentioned these? I have thrown the Freedom a bit and at first I tried to hyzerflip it, but it was too beefy for me to do that. When released flat I was getting some nice S shots, but have only done this throw like twice. I haven't thrown a King at all. Maybe these discs are too fast for 350' distance?
Freedom is flat garbage. Even if you hyzerflip it the disc will most likely turn and burn. The Freedom is really long, but extremely hard to get on a good distance line. All the thing wants to do is flip over. If you don't quite get enough on it the disc stalls uselessly. I'd rate the Freedom as one of the worst high speed driver molds ever made. DD discontinued it for a reason.

The King is somewhat better, but I still don't highly recommend it. Really flippy and hard to control. At 350' you'd probably have OK luck with a King. Any longer than that and you'll be flipping it wildly.

Look hard at the Tern and Shryke if you really want a good hyzerflip disc. Both of those will provide every inch of distance your arm is capable of.

Niced: (2)
Old 01-17-2020, 11:45 PM
I'm With Her

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,296 Times in 1,690 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
Freedom is flat garbage. Even if you hyzerflip it the disc will most likely turn and burn. The Freedom is really long, but extremely hard to get on a good distance line. All the thing wants to do is flip over. If you don't quite get enough on it the disc stalls uselessly. I'd rate the Freedom as one of the worst high speed driver molds ever made. DD discontinued it for a reason..
Agree the Freedom is one of the worst molds ever made. Not just high speed molds, but all molds. Additionally, it's one of the most inconsistently made molds ever: one disc will be flippy understable, and the next will be a glideless, overstable brick. And like Twmccoy said, it's OOP (and good riddance).
Old 01-18-2020, 12:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 748 Times in 584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Agree the Freedom is one of the worst molds ever made. Not just high speed molds, but all molds. Additionally, it's one of the most inconsistently made molds ever: one disc will be flippy understable, and the next will be a glideless, overstable brick. And like Twmccoy said, it's OOP (and good riddance).
I just can't think of any class player who would benefit from throwing a Freedom. Very new players don't have the skill to put it on a distance line consistently, and skilled players sure as hell want nothing to do with a mold that flippy.

DD makes a couple pretty good understable drivers, but the Freedom isn't one of them. Heck, even the Captain is worth a look. Frankly, I like the Captain more than the King. It just flies in a more manageable manner, and isn't as prone to flipping.

Throwing a good hyzerflip is a great skill to have for any disc golfer. However, if you choose the wrong disc it'll become a shot you learn to dread and fear throwing on the course. The Freedom is 100% the wrong disc choice for anything except possibly rollers.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 89
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 50 Times in 33 Posts

You want to release flat and reliably fade late? No turn? In various winds? Teebird?

Niced: (1)
Old 01-18-2020, 05:48 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 27
Niced 500 Times in 309 Posts

Quote:
King is a good disc, but it is a hyzerflip disc at 350' power and you said you don't want to do max D hyzerflips anymore. I have no experience with Feedoms (nor do I plan to) so can't help you there.
Old 01-18-2020, 06:01 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 19
Niced 55 Times in 39 Posts

Star Tern or Star wraith for sure! But I don’t throw flex lines unless the shot really calls for it.
Old 01-18-2020, 06:40 PM
Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 168
Niced 2,466 Times in 1,148 Posts

Quote:
The Freedom is justly OOP. It's the Dynamic Disc's Groove. The King is usually way too sensitive. There's only like 1 run of domey Kings that would be good for what you're looking for but they're too hard to track down.

At your distance, you might want to look at a Trespass. They like to S-curve naturally and generally fly a full-flight line well if you throw them flat. Trying to throw perfectly flat for max D is really setting difficulty mode to hard though. Way easier to either find a less touchy disc you can hyzerflip and still hook up or a more HSS disc than you can flex on an easily repeatable anny line. GL
Old 01-18-2020, 07:11 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 18
Niced 196 Times in 115 Posts

The Nuke SS doesn't ever get much love, except in the hyzerflip department. It's pretty reliable there if you have the armspeed for it, which it sounds like you have.

Old 01-19-2020, 12:24 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 2
Niced 470 Times in 337 Posts

I'm gonna take a different approach to answer this than anyone else. Look at something slightly OS with some turn, but in the speed 9/10 area. I'm thinking Undertaker or CD2 here. They fly almost as far as most distance drivers but are more controllable which should lead to more consistent distance for someone who is used to hyzerflipping US stuff for distance.