Old 01-09-2014, 12:53 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 31
Niced 376 Times in 141 Posts
Default Insurance for New Course on Public Land

Who is responsible to provide insurance? The city or the club? As a club we're offering to provide baskets, teepads, signs, labor, etc. and were just asked about insurance. My initial assumption was that it would fall under the city as the course and the land it's on will remain open to the public.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2014, 12:55 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 109
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 220 Times in 123 Posts

General insurance should fall on the municipality that owns the land. They may ask you for event coverage for tournaments.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:56 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.9
Courses Played: 702
Niced 1,782 Times in 806 Posts

I believe the city would need to hold the policy. The question would be whether the club had to pay for the incremental cost if any for this to be added to the city's current policy if they have one. Or if they don't have one and don't wish to be self insured for this site, the club might have to pay for it for the city. I would suggest checking with Snapper at Morley to see how they handle the insurance there.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:48 PM
*Super Moderator*

Thanks for the info.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 222 Times in 97 Posts

I think the local club had to pay for the insurance at the most recent city course installed here. Semd a PM to Rizbee, he can help you out.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:53 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,112 Times in 746 Posts

Owners always have to hold the policy thus are ultimately responsible for the costs but who they pass that onto is another story. This goes for anything you insure--- it would be fraudulent to insure something you don't have title rights to. The park is like the city's home but the stuff "in it" could be similar to the club being a renter and providing their own policy or contributions to cover.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:38 PM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
I believe the city would need to hold the policy. The question would be whether the club had to pay for the incremental cost if any for this to be added to the city's current policy if they have one. Or if they don't have one and don't wish to be self insured for this site, the club might have to pay for it for the city. I would suggest checking with Snapper at Morley to see how they handle the insurance there.
I'll get in touch with Snapper. Thanks for recommending that. I wonder if Morley's pay-to-play status means that anybody without their wristband is trespassing and, hence, not covered.

The area in question is historically inhabited by meth head encampments. The city spends A LOT of money booting them out and cleaning up all the garbage every couple of years. Crime is rampant in the area and the local businesses are fed up. Disc golf will help eliminate unsavory people from moving back to the area. My concern is our liability if we agree to provide insurance. Let's say a wigged out chap comes back looking for his stash, falls, and breaks his neck. Does that affect our insurance or does the person have to be involved in the intended activity?

The surrounding area is also one of the best bird watching areas in the northern-southern coast. Let's say a bird watcher trips and falls because the area is now free from meth zombies. Does that affect our insurance?

I'm still not in the place where I feel that we should be the ones providing insurance unless we have an official event. So many variables. I mean, who puts up insurance when they build basketball courts, tennis courts, and baseball diamonds?

Last edited by zenbot; 01-09-2014 at 11:49 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:38 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,112 Times in 746 Posts

unless the DG course and or equipment was the reason some accident occurred there is no worry.

public liability insurance covers owners in situations like these. It would be like trying to sue the people who chose to adopt a highway and clean up the trash for negligence if you got a flat tire and crashed on their section of the highway. The DG club is basically just another granted user of the space no different from anyone else. Unless the city gives partial ownership there is no way they could make you pay for insurance which covers the land itself-- improvements and events are different for sure but the park also should have ordinances which make activities "un-lawful" in the first place outside of what is designated at the park and further removing any liability.
Quote:
Section l—Purpose
The Park District deems it reasonable, necessary, and desirable to
provide an Ordinance specifying rules and regulations in order to
provide for the safe and peaceful public use of Park District areas
and facilities; for the educational and recreational benefit and
enjoyment of the public; for the protection and preservation of
the property, facilities, and natural resources of the Park District;
and for the safety and general welfare of the public.

Section 2—Authority
under Minnesota Statutes,
Chapter 398, in performing its primary duty of the acquisition,
development, and maintenance of large parks, wildlife sanctuaries,
forests, and other reservations and providing the means for
public access to historic sites, lakes, rivers, streams, and other
natural phenomena, is granted full power and authority to acquire
and establish parks and to operate, maintain, protect and improve
a park system and conduct a recreational program. As an aid to
the accomplishment of this duty, the Board is granted the authority
to enact Ordinances and to declare that the violation thereof
shall be a penal offense.
Permits and fines help pay for costs to insure as well with separate insurances required by those who take use of the park and events exclusively. So if DG is an integral part of the park and open to all patrons just like a playground then its on them for sure. I'd call huge BS if they tried to make your club cover it on a daily basis.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:17 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 74 Times in 32 Posts

The club carries the policy in Charlotte. We just restructured it in the fall. That said, the P&R department has their own coverage. But anything that happens during a club event is covered under ours.