Old 01-21-2016, 10:20 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 14
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default DG as Transitional Land Use

Hi,
I have noticed a trend where DG courses easily go into public parks on the edge of civilization and then as growth happens around the area courses get re-purposed.

I'm looking for thoughts on an idea; isn't it easier in the long run to create non-profits, buy property - build your own course - and then later threaten to build a few hundred condos; and then negotiate giving the land to the gov with the condition it remains a DG course in perpetuity?

In my area the start-up cost would be about 250K. I live in a fast growing area but suspect the gov would pay you back the 250k and take over the course in under 10 years.

Maybe the plan would include doing the first course w/ the gov so you could grow enough interest to raise the 250k - then move on ...
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2016, 12:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 213
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 311 Times in 186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffboi View Post
Hi,
I have noticed a trend where DG courses easily go into public parks on the edge of civilization and then as growth happens around the area courses get re-purposed.

I'm looking for thoughts on an idea; isn't it easier in the long run to create non-profits, buy property - build your own course - and then later threaten to build a few hundred condos; and then negotiate giving the land to the gov with the condition it remains a DG course in perpetuity?

In my area the start-up cost would be about 250K. I live in a fast growing area but suspect the gov would pay you back the 250k and take over the course in under 10 years.

Maybe the plan would include doing the first course w/ the gov so you could grow enough interest to raise the 250k - then move on ...
Good luck getting a public entity, like a municipality, to have an attorney advise them to do anything in perpetuity. That's the famed Ozzie & Dan Silna giveaway.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 87
Niced 1,970 Times in 789 Posts

Quote:
Hi,

Lol wut.

I have never heard of any branch of any government anywhere doing such a thing. Especially the local muni's since they can collect property tax if someone else owns the land. Yes, they are greedy like that. I'm just having a hard time envisioning a real life scenario where this would happen. Has something like this happened in the real world before? Examples?
Old 01-21-2016, 12:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 29
Niced 361 Times in 229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
Lol wut.

I have never heard of any branch of any government anywhere doing such a thing. Especially the local muni's since they can collect property tax if someone else owns the land. Yes, they are greedy like that. I'm just having a hard time envisioning a real life scenario where this would happen. Has something like this happened in the real world before? Examples?
Cities do buy land for new parks so it's not out of the question, I'd be more concerned with getting the $250k to buy and build the course in the first place. Has anyone ever used gofundme for a dg course, or is that not an appropriate venue?
Old 01-21-2016, 01:01 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consult20 View Post
Cities do buy land for new parks so it's not out of the question
This is correct - thank you!

Some places have Rural & Critical Land Trusts and when you drive around you see the signs that say "This x acres was preserved by x city name"

Here is an example http://www.bcgov.net/departments/Pla...eservation.php

The 250k is for sure an issue, but the program is potentially self-sustaining as the "entity" could possibly get market value making a profit to repeat the process.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:03 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
Lol wut.

Examples?
http://www.bcgov.net/departments/Pla...eservation.php
Old 01-22-2016, 12:41 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 22.7
Courses Played: 45
Niced 25 Times in 15 Posts

^ We have something similar in Michigan but I don't think DG would fall under any of those categories.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:06 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 67
Niced 673 Times in 326 Posts

Quote:

The 250k is for sure an issue, but the program is potentially self-sustaining as the "entity" could possibly get market value making a profit to repeat the process.
Could you translate this into English please?
Old 01-22-2016, 09:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 29
Niced 361 Times in 229 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joecoin View Post
Could you translate this into English please?
Not trying to be funny (ok maybe a little), but the way that was worded made me think it sounds like an Amway/pyramid scheme for disc golf courses

Old 01-22-2016, 10:03 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 127
Niced 3,696 Times in 1,587 Posts

It won't work. Or, at least, it would be very hard to make work.

Assuming you could buy suitable land for $250,000, you'd have to have your non-profit raise $250,000 in cash. Otherwise, you'd never get financing, and if you could you'd be paying $15,000 or more a year in interest. Who's donating that much cash, to this project?

Then you'd have all of the other expenses of installation and maintenance.

Under the assumption that the government would buy that land at some point. Even if they decide to buy more parkland, there's no guarantee that they'll choose yours over some other parcel someone is selling, perhaps cheaper. The existing disc golf course is unlikely to make a big difference to them.