Old 12-01-2019, 01:43 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 543 Times in 207 Posts
Default Turkey Shoot idea/feedback

I had an idea a few weeks ago for a Thanksgiving Weekend Turkey Shoot at my local. 18 holes of dubs from the easy tees, payout to the pair with the most turkeys thrown. Tried it today and it was a pretty decent time. Not a lot of turnout but most of the regulars were there. Anyone else tried something similar?
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 12-01-2019, 02:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.8
Courses Played: 248
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,881 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Ogre View Post
I had an idea a few weeks ago for a Thanksgiving Weekend Turkey Shoot at my local. 18 holes of dubs from the easy tees, payout to the pair with the most turkeys thrown. Tried it today and it was a pretty decent time. Not a lot of turnout but most of the regulars were there. Anyone else tried something similar?
Completely different.

About this tournament
This is a cooperative community event - listed here under Ypsi Dubs to get it on the Scene and the word out to as many as possible.

Collect up any unused discs collecting dust in your closet, trunk or other storage locations. New and slightly used (no names or phone numbers/writing) disc to be awarded for DOTs at the end of the event. Get $5 off for your first donated disc and big warm feeling of giving for all the rest you donate.

"Bring your bag, Bring a Friend and enjoy the day full of Aces and DOTs with friends.

Two rounds of at least 24 holes all specially designed for the Ace Race

Modified Ace Race layout: an assortment of fun and new shots on most of the existing holes and maybe some extra holes to make an exciting 24 hole Ace Race course.

Payout: 100% Payout all money, donated discs and items will be awarded at this event.

Cash payout for Aces

Cost: $20
$5 off if you donate a disc for Dots
So the cost could be as low as $15.

If no Aces are hit (not very likely) then there will be a throw off with the top three winners will be paid out

Old 12-01-2019, 02:23 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 288 Times in 151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Completely different.

About this tournament
This is a cooperative community event - listed here under Ypsi Dubs to get it on the Scene and the word out to as many as possible.

Collect up any unused discs collecting dust in your closet, trunk or other storage locations. New and slightly used (no names or phone numbers/writing) disc to be awarded for DOTs at the end of the event. Get $5 off for your first donated disc and big warm feeling of giving for all the rest you donate.

"Bring your bag, Bring a Friend and enjoy the day full of Aces and DOTs with friends.

Two rounds of at least 24 holes all specially designed for the Ace Race

Modified Ace Race layout: an assortment of fun and new shots on most of the existing holes and maybe some extra holes to make an exciting 24 hole Ace Race course.

Payout: 100% Payout all money, donated discs and items will be awarded at this event.

Cash payout for Aces

Cost: $20
$5 off if you donate a disc for Dots
So the cost could be as low as $15.

If no Aces are hit (not very likely) then there will be a throw off with the top three winners will be paid out
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is DOT? (besides Dept Of Transportation)
Old 12-01-2019, 02:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.2
Courses Played: 151
Niced 3,969 Times in 1,636 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is DOT? (besides Dept Of Transportation)
If I'm not mistaken, dots refers to hitting metal. As in, if you hit metal off the tee, you put a dot on your scorecard for that hole.

Old 12-01-2019, 03:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.8
Courses Played: 248
Niced 1,881 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
If I'm not mistaken, dots refers to hitting metal. As in, if you hit metal off the tee, you put a dot on your scorecard for that hole.
Yup. A ball golf term for hitting greens in regulation and fairways in regulation. Here is means hitting metal. Dots are used for scoring in both examples.
Old 12-01-2019, 05:59 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 23
Niced 288 Times in 151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Yup. A ball golf term for hitting greens in regulation and fairways in regulation. Here is means hitting metal. Dots are used for scoring in both examples.
Oho! Thank you. Learn something new every day.

Old 12-08-2019, 10:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 1369
Niced 803 Times in 282 Posts

Abilene, TX I played in a turkey shootout Thanksgiving morning. A handfull of CTP's and an acepot, otherwise the only way to score was to get a turkey on the scorecard. They said this was maybe the 10th annual, and some years they have 30-40 people play. This year there was 15 people I think (kind of cold). Turkeys were pretty hard to come by, and disctractions were allowed (yelling while people are on the tee pad, or walking in front of those throwing, or dancing behind the basket while they're putting, though no touching or blocking shots - "Hey, wait, don't throw yet!!" was a common phrase throughout the day). I enjoyed it, enough that it could even be fun to play throughout the year, but I guess it could be a fun thing to look forward to that one day each year.