Old 12-24-2019, 07:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 747 Times in 583 Posts
Default Most disappointing new disc of 2019

Now that the year's almost over, I feel like I can definitely say what my most disappointing new disc of 2019 is. By that I mean a mold that came out this year that fell woefully short of expectations when throwing.

Without further ado, my disappointing disc of 2019 was the Kong/Zeus. When Discraft introduced this disc during the spring I was expecting a long, glidey Destroyer type disc. The Kong/Zeus was a HUGE letdown for me. I've now thrown 3 of the proto Kongs, and my results were similar with all 3. They're glideless and pretty much relentlessly overstable. For the life of me I can't make a Kong fly flat for any great length. Even compared to McBeth star Destroyers these things are short and glideless.

2 of my Kongs are flat and 1 is really domey. Despite the difference in looks they still all fly really beefy. My average Destroyer shot is probably 390'. The Kong for me averages something more like 360'. No matter what I do I can't make the Kong zip for any better yardage. The disc is stubbornly clunky and wants to find the ground quickly.

One positive thing about the Kong is that its overstable enough you at least know where it'll go when you throw it. The wind doesn't affect the disc, and it is a consistent (short) flier. I also love the swirly ESP look.

Still, humongous bummer disc for me. I wanted so badly for the Kong to be a legit Destroyer competitor. It isn't. MUCH shorter and beefier for me.

What is everyone else's most disappointing new disc of the year?
Sponsored Links

Last edited by Twmccoy; 12-24-2019 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-24-2019, 07:12 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 368 Times in 233 Posts

Have you thrown any of the production Zeus?
I felt the same way about the protos when they came out, a local Discraft guy had me throw a couple back to back with some beat in Z Forces, I thought the Force was far an away the superior disc. The production run Zeus flies much different, to me at least, than any protos did, much more glide and less OS. It actually has a point to existing instead of being a worse version of a beat-in Force.
Old 12-24-2019, 07:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 747 Times in 583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasissouth View Post
Have you thrown any of the production Zeus?
I felt the same way about the protos when they came out, a local Discraft guy had me throw a couple back to back with some beat in Z Forces, I thought the Force was far an away the superior disc. The production run Zeus flies much different, to me at least, than any protos did, much more glide and less OS. It actually has a point to existing instead of being a worse version of a beat-in Force.
No. Obviously I'd like to try one of the new Zeuses. If I throw one and love it I'll gladly come back on here and discuss it. So far though I just can't stand the proto Kongs.
Old 12-24-2019, 07:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 75
Niced 313 Times in 184 Posts

You just cant let it go huh? Lol
From the reviews, you have been told the majority were not what u have.

But to add to the thread i will say..... Axiom Pyro

I thought it was going to be wasp-like or a workhorse mid. It was just beef for me and i have no need for that.
Old 12-24-2019, 08:16 PM
I'm With Her

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,294 Times in 1,688 Posts

I got a (Pre-Luna) McBeth Prototype putter. The plastic feels great, and it's the best-flying putter out of my paws and into the chains that I've found to date. Despite the price, I was considering buying one or two more and using them as my main putting putters.

That's not the disappointment; what followed is. They said they couldn't duplicate that same plastic, which I never believed and still don't. Then they made some changes, and the various Lunas are not quite the same mold. I understand that: they're made for Paul McBeth, and he won his fifth World Title with it. But I am disappointed that those wonderful pre-Luna McBeth Prototypes didn't continue to get made.

I guess my other disappointment was the Patrol. I never could quite get that disc to be consistently good for me on turnover shots. The good news is that the M4 is working very well in that capacity, so I'm set there...

Niced: (1)
Old 12-24-2019, 09:24 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 25
Niced 893 Times in 742 Posts

The more recent runs of DX Dragon are a disappointment. The DX Dragoon are R-Pro like plastic similar to the stiff R-Pro used for the Wahoo and the stiff Pro Rhyno yet are the same like my older DX Dragon which is fine, but the last year disc I got and this year runs of DX Dragon I felt in store have a wax to the discs that is so waxy I fear that later when I need to get a new DX Dragon in a few years the mold plastic will be mostly wax with just enough plastic to the mold to hold the wax from melting in temps above 80-85 F. I say let the Innova people make a Blizzard Champion Dragon at 150 grams so that some players would not need a waxy disc for water shots, or downwind open shots, and open hole bombers.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 12-24-2019 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-24-2019, 09:30 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 230 Times in 108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
The more recent runs of DX Dragon are a disappointment. The DX Dragoon are R-Pro like plastic similar to the stiff R-Pro used for the Wahoo and the stiff Pro Rhyno yet are the same like my older DX Dragon which is fine, but the last year disc I got and this year runs of DX Dragon I felt in store have a wax to the discs that is so waxy I fear that later when I need to get a new DX Dragon in a few years the mold plastic will be mostly wax with just enough plastic to the mold to hold the wax from melting in temps above 80-85 F. I say let Innova make a Blizzard Champion Dragon at 150 grams so that some players would not need a waxy disc for water shots.
Of course Casey would say a dx dragon was the most disappointing disc of 2019. Never change. Now for the op and saying Kong is the most disappointing disc of 2019. I would agree if the production was the same as the proto. But the proto is more like a force and the production run has more turn and glide.

Niced: (2)
Old 12-24-2019, 09:38 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 116 Times in 70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
The more recent runs of DX Dragon are a disappointment. The DX Dragoon are R-Pro like plastic similar to the stiff R-Pro used for the Wahoo and the stiff Pro Rhyno yet are the same like my older DX Dragon which is fine, but the last year disc I got and this year runs of DX Dragon I felt in store have a wax to the discs that is so waxy I fear that later when I need to get a new DX Dragon in a few years the mold plastic will be mostly wax with just enough plastic to the mold to hold the wax from melting in temps above 80-85 F. I say let the Innova people make a Blizzard Champion Dragon at 150 grams so that some players would not need a waxy disc for water shots, or downwind open shots, and open hole bombers.
Time to put down the egg nog Casey

Old 12-24-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm0514 View Post
Of course Casey would say a dx dragon was the most disappointing disc of 2019. Never change. Now for the op and saying Kong is the most disappointing disc of 2019. I would agree if the production was the same as the proto. But the proto is more like a force and the production run has more turn and glide.
Not a new disc but the DX plastic for Dragon has changed again in 2018-2019 and permanently to a waxy version unlike the previous version that just had a layer of wax that needed to come off same as most other production DX. In fact the 2019 discs are almost slippery wax when new unlike the 2018 I have that is a grip type wax, having felt the plastic for the DX Dragon mold in 2019.

Innova is getting worse and worse at making DX Dragons, I would take a badly made Blizzard Champion Dragon just to avoid the plastic.

Old 12-24-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERB brooks View Post
Time to put down the egg nog Casey
Nope I do not put alcohol in my egg nog. I do drink though but that was not the case for this.

Niced: (2)