#1  
Old 09-06-2013, 10:05 PM
smitdavi's Avatar
smitdavi smitdavi is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bloomington
Courses Played: 37
Posts: 241
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default No Mans Land...at least for me

I am a noob, I've been playing for 3 weeks now. I've got my drives straightened out, right around 300'. I use the straddle/push putt method for my putts, but right now I struggle right at the 50' range. It's a little far for me to use my regular putt, and jump putting is a little advanced. It's weird because I feel a lot better 100' out than I do at 50'. I can nestle my Buzzz right up next to the pole, but when I get closer most of the time I run it way past the basket, leaving a hell of a comeback. My main putter that I have fallen in love with is an Ion Neutron. So, any advice?
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-06-2013, 10:13 PM
davetherocketguy's Avatar
davetherocketguy davetherocketguy is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Southwest Michigan
Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 87
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,813
Niced 1,972 Times in 789 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitdavi View Post
I am a noob, I've been playing for 3 weeks now. I've got my drives straightened out, right around 300'. I use the straddle/push putt method for my putts, but right now I struggle right at the 50' range. It's a little far for me to use my regular putt, and jump putting is a little advanced. It's weird because I feel a lot better 100' out than I do at 50'. I can nestle my Buzzz right up next to the pole, but when I get closer most of the time I run it way past the basket, leaving a hell of a comeback. My main putter that I have fallen in love with is an Ion Neutron. So, any advice?
Sounds like you need more confidence with your putter at different distances so I suggest putter only rounds every now and then. It is quite an eye opener to see how far and controlled you can get a putter off the tee. In essence, sounds like you just need to practice at some different distances with it. Also, you've only been playing 3 weeks so don't go too hard on yourself.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-06-2013, 10:28 PM
Kodachrome's Avatar
Kodachrome Kodachrome is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South St. Paul, MN
Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 6,611
Niced 155 Times in 107 Posts
Default

yeah; there are certain distances that are tougher.

i recognized my shortcomings farther out and started carrying a light putter; a 166g summit for long putts. some people like lid-type discs for them as well.

the bottom line is that if you want to get better at those distances, you will have to practice and get better snap on the putt. learn to connect your hips to your arm through your torso to get the arm speed and then just a little *flick* and the disc will go on its way. i truthfully don't even jump putt. i get a more horizontal push than vertical from my stance.

learn to anticipate the fade as well if you're far out. there's nothing wrong with a bit of a hyzer putt. it's the natural direction the disc wants to travel so it's more predictable anyway. it'll give your disc a better chance of going in because of the area of the chains vs angle of attack, but be warned that too much angle will increase your odds of a rollaway.

keep working at it; you'll be alright.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-06-2013, 10:28 PM
smitdavi's Avatar
smitdavi smitdavi is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bloomington
Courses Played: 37
Posts: 241
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
Sounds like you need more confidence with your putter at different distances so I suggest putter only rounds every now and then. It is quite an eye opener to see how far and controlled you can get a putter off the tee. In essence, sounds like you just need to practice at some different distances with it. Also, you've only been playing 3 weeks so don't go too hard on yourself.
I love my putter off the tee, as long as it's not a 400'-500' hole lol. It's my security blanket a lot.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-06-2013, 10:33 PM
BrotherDave's Avatar
BrotherDave BrotherDave is offline
Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Darkhorse Ranch
Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 168
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 15,236
Niced 2,468 Times in 1,148 Posts
Default

Polecat. (or other lid type disc).

OR

Experiment with different throws and grips to see what gives you some more accuracy without grunting. Personally, a stagger putt (kind of a push/spin/lob hybrid that's nose down if I can help it) for anything within the circle (unless I need to straddle around an obstacle) and farther out I switch to a straddle putt b/c I can use more weight shift without losing balance. Farther out, if I don't feel like running the Polecat straight at it, I'll switch up to what I call a pendulum putt which is basically a stunted backhand throw where I keep my elbow straight and swing the disc down and up at a hyzer angle so that the disc pops out at the bend of the arc towards the target. Disc pops out at a consistently manipulated hyzer and the arm continues the pendulum arc the other way as my follow through; it's kind of like a chip shot in golf. The bottom line is anytime the distance is testing the limits of using my form at a comfortable 80% of power (requiring me to throw 90% or more of power) my accuracy suffers greatly so I switch to a different form that allows me to throw with a comfy 80% or less of power again.

Whichever trick/style your game settles on, what absolutely cannot be stated enough is that nothing helps your putting like sticking with one putter (mold at least) and learning how to make it fly in as many different ways as possible. Be one with your putter. So once you settle on a putter that feels good, stick with it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-06-2013, 10:37 PM
smitdavi's Avatar
smitdavi smitdavi is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bloomington
Courses Played: 37
Posts: 241
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks everyone for some awesome advice. It actually all made sense to me I have two putters, a RFF 174 wizard and a 174 Ion Neutron. The Ion feels way more comfortable in the hand so I've been using that about 99% percent of the time.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-06-2013, 10:39 PM
davetherocketguy's Avatar
davetherocketguy davetherocketguy is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Southwest Michigan
Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 87
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,813
Niced 1,972 Times in 789 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitdavi View Post
I love my putter off the tee, as long as it's not a 400'-500' hole lol. It's my security blanket a lot.
Nope. I would even suggest practice rounds even if the holes were that long. Think about it, so you can only rip your putter out to 150-200' and on a hole like that there would be a lot of opportunity for practice.
Reply With Quote
 

  #8  
Old 09-06-2013, 10:42 PM
smitdavi's Avatar
smitdavi smitdavi is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bloomington
Courses Played: 37
Posts: 241
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
Nope. I would even suggest practice rounds even if the holes were that long. Think about it, so you can only rip your putter out to 150-200' and on a hole like that there would be a lot of opportunity for practice.
Guess I didn't think of it that way...more practice.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Old mans big bag veek Bag Suggestions & Feedback 5 10-28-2013 09:36 PM
One mans mission to cleanup/expand his local course. PLEASE HELP DGCR! akguanja Disc Golf Courses 35 08-23-2012 11:17 PM
Public Course on Private Land (Land Ownership Contracts/Agreements) EagleEyes General Disc Golf Chat 3 06-08-2012 12:08 PM
The ultimate rich/lazy mans disc golf cart! hippiediscdude General Disc Golf Chat 24 04-16-2009 01:47 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.