Old Yesterday, 10:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 35.2
Courses Played: 230
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 671 Times in 316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
Also - old dude divisions hustle and play more mind games with one another than any division. Masters Worlds last year was an eye opener for me. Whooo boy, once that testosterone production slows...let's just say it's convinced me that when that day comes for me I'll be looking into supplements to stay balanced!
This is conjecture, supposition and a totally unsubstantiated comment. Come back and talk this nonsense when you have the life experience to do so.

There are a grand total of one, non-competition protected division in the entire PDGA pro/am divisioning structure. It seems myopic to dismiss the rest of potential players in any tournament you run. You can cater to the 18-30 y/o, male, open players all you want, but that is not growing the sport or servicing your local scene as a TD.
Sponsored Links
Old Yesterday, 10:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.1
Courses Played: 124
Niced 1,717 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
The important thing to note is that you and your fellow mid-level players knew your place. You also knew that if you wanted more spotlight and a chance at bigger prizes, you had to go against tougher competition.

Some people get full of their MA3 or MA50 selves and lobby for treatment on the level of MA1/FA1/MPO/FPO, but they're afraid to play against those people and prove that they deserve it.

Generally speaking, tournament prizes are just an organized gambling system---everybody places bets with their entries, and the winners take the pot according to a set formula.

I don't see why better players have more right to do so among themselves, than weaker players.

Then we get to added cash, and if the TD wants to sweeten the pot for all the skill levels, why not?

It's true that the MA1s and MPOs are better players. But they're not contributing any more to the tournament than anyone else, or bringing in any more revenue.

It's a little different when you get to the higher level events---NTs, DGPTs, and Majors. The MPOs (and to some degree, FPOs) still aren't bringing in much revenue, but they are the face of growing the top level of the sport. It makes some sense to promote them, and support them, more.
Old Yesterday, 10:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 33
Niced 543 Times in 263 Posts

I would wager that Master's age players have way more expendable income, especially if they're into the tournament scene, than your average 18-25 year old.

Plus disc golf as a whole would do well to promote the game as a lifetime sport.

Especially the competitive side.

Older folks are still quite competitive.

I work at a Golf, Sports and Event Complex.

Those older guys (and gals) still go hard.

But they do prefer to play with people their age for the most part.

Niced: (1)
Old Today, 09:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 35.2
Courses Played: 230
Niced 671 Times in 316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post
I would wager that Master's age players have way more expendable income, especially if they're into the tournament scene, than your average 18-25 year old.

Plus disc golf as a whole would do well to promote the game as a lifetime sport.

Especially the competitive side.

Older folks are still quite competitive.

I work at a Golf, Sports and Event Complex.

Those older guys (and gals) still go hard.

But they do prefer to play with people their age for the most part.
Around here they are also the backbone of the fairly robust disc golf scene. They are the ones putting in courses, attending all the meeting and and discussions revolving around this. They run most of our clubs, they are most of our TD's.

Niced: (3)
Old Today, 10:29 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 4
Niced 276 Times in 152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Per Competition Manual 2.01
K. A Tournament Director may, by indicating it on the registration form, restrict the divisions offered in their event. Absent such notice, the Tournament Director shall offer for competition any division which has four or more players that are eligible and who wish to compete. Tournament Directors may offer divisions with fewer than four players at their discretion. (See Section 1.03 I)
So it's ultimately up to you as the TD what you want to do with those requests.

As a TD myself, I always limit the divisions I offer. However, my policy is that I will open a division not on my list if there are four or more interested players. I feel that's the fairest way to do it.
This quote from the manual is all I needed to see. While I agree with some aspects of the article, I think more flexibility is better and given how much autonomy this gives TDs I'm not sure there is a huge problem. I hate the idea of forcing anyone to move from AM to MPO. I do agree we should structure payouts with AMs in a way where a TD can maybe make some actual profit off an event (trophy only with players pack). Part of what may be attractive to a "sandbagger" is the hundreds of dollars in plastic they are winning. Limit that to a trophy and maybe that's an incentive to move up.

Easier said than done though. If I'm sitting behind a registration table and 4 guys are begging me to open a 55 MA2 division it will be hard to say no - but sometimes you gotta hold your ground and let a grown man cry it out.

Old Today, 10:38 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 4
Niced 276 Times in 152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Around here they are also the backbone of the fairly robust disc golf scene. They are the ones putting in courses, attending all the meeting and and discussions revolving around this. They run most of our clubs, they are most of our TD's.
While I don't disagree and it's the same story in my region and most of the areas I have traveled too, I just don't think the PDGA's rules/structure has much to do with these folks doing what they do. In my experience that 1 small group of bad ass volunteers (typically boomers) who basically do everything are doing what they do because they love the game. That and they have the personality type that you see across most TDs/Volunteers. While limiting divisions may lead to lower registration rates I'm not sure it will hurt the volunteer base.

All that said, based on what JC quoted from the manual I think things are OK as they are for now. Long sided, I hope there is an AM and PRO tour one day and we have a prize purse and deep enough talent pool for there to be less divisions. Many of today's C-Tiers will just be like the local tournaments at your public golf course.

Last edited by Lazerface; Today at 10:39 AM. Reason: grammer