Old 01-27-2017, 02:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 44
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 667 Times in 389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaine View Post
In part 2 of the Aussie Open first round, Paul CRUSHES a forehand Shryke shot (Thanks Eagle for saying the disc he threw). Shryke made it to the champs tournament bag
Haha, wow, I should go pick up the rest of the FR's from the local PIAS. If Paul keeps it in the bag (and eventually makes it a sig disc), those will end up being worth a mint in 2 years.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2017, 02:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.7
Courses Played: 76
Niced 179 Times in 111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaine View Post
In part 2 of the Aussie Open first round, Paul CRUSHES a forehand Shryke shot (Thanks Eagle for saying the disc he threw). Shryke made it to the champs tournament bag
I just got done watching part 2. I was really surprised by what discs Eagle said Paul was throwing. He mentioned Paul throwing the Shryke, PD2 & (returning to his bag) Firebird.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:31 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,264 Times in 1,664 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscinFiend View Post
I just got done watching part 2. I was really surprised by what discs Eagle said Paul was throwing. He mentioned Paul throwing the Shryke, PD2 & (returning to his bag) Firebird.
In the CCDG "Champs v. Chumps 3" videos, Paul showed off his Sexton Firebird. Sexton was commentating and said he did not know Paul had put that in his (Paul's) bag. But yes, the Sexton FB is in Paul's bag, and it appears the Monster experiment is ovah.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Maybe Paul has finally abandoned the dream of the All-McBeth-Signature bag then? I'm not saying I know he had that dream, but it certainly looked like the direction he was trying to take, what with bagging the Teebird3 and the Monster instead of the (already taken) Teebird and Firebird.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:50 PM
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugheshilton View Post
Maybe Paul has finally abandoned the dream of the All-McBeth-Signature bag then? I'm not saying I know he had that dream, but it certainly looked like the direction he was trying to take, what with bagging the Teebird3 and the Monster instead of the (already taken) Teebird and Firebird.
I agree that Paul McBeth was throwing the Monster and MF-Teebird3 so that one or both would become signature discs if he'd won his fifth world title. And I do note that Paul went back to the Sexton Firebird, not any other one, so maybe his (so-called) "struggles" with regular Firebirds are legit...

As to the Teebird3, Paul seems to be doing well with it, and Paul does like the "3" series of discs... Roc3, Mako3, etc.

As to the Shryke... we'll see if it becomes his main forehand driver...
Old 01-27-2017, 04:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 137
Niced 258 Times in 114 Posts

Quote:
...but it certainly looked like the direction he was trying to take, what with bagging the Teebird3 and the Monster instead of the (already taken) Teebird and Firebird.
Paul said somewhere on video that the Monster replaced the Firebird because he didn't trust the FBird's release on harder throws (spikes, FH), and the wider rim of the Monster felt better in his hand.
He threw a lot of Destroyer forehands last year, if the Shryke has the same rim thickness it may be more of the FH path he is looking for right out of the box instead of counting on 'tuned' Destroyers to get that same flight.

Yes, all speculation but that's what DGCR does best
Old 01-27-2017, 05:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Yes I am aware of Paul's stated reasons for throwing the Monster. He used to throw regular champion Teebirds too. Certainly he has the pick of the litter in terms of discs and there are plenty of flat champion Teebirds out there, so why Teebird3 if not to have some molds in his pocket with no current sig on them in case of another world championship? Even if he did want to go to an all-sig bag, I seriously doubt he would have told anyone that in an interview; it might sound a little arrogant or presumptuous. Anyway, we'll see if both the Monster AND Sexton FB are in his bag this year. The Sexton FB is a little less overstable than standard flat champion Firebirds in my experience and definitely less overstable than the Monster. He might just be bagging both molds for different shots.
Old 01-27-2017, 05:37 PM
Snowflake

Quote:
Yes I am aware of Paul's stated reasons for throwing the Monster. He used to throw regular champion Teebirds too. Certainly he has the pick of the litter in terms of discs and there are plenty of flat champion Teebirds out there, so why Teebird3 if not to have some molds in his pocket with no current sig on them in case of another world championship?
Like I said before, McBeth likes the flat-topped "3" series discs. He's been throwing Roc3s a good while now, and he bags the Mako3 as well. So even if it's not to be a sig disc, I am not surprised McBeth went to the Teebird3. He's certainly done well with it.

Quote:
Anyway, we'll see if both the Monster AND Sexton FB are in his bag this year. The Sexton FB is a little less overstable than standard flat champion Firebirds in my experience and definitely less overstable than the Monster. He might just be bagging both molds for different shots.
Is McBeth bagging the Monster at all? Was he using it at the Aussie Open? I don't remember him using a Monster in the Champs v. Chumps, but he might have and it wasn't talked about.

I can see McBeth using the Sexton Firebird instead of either the regular Firebirds or Monsters. But I guess we'll see over time...
Old 01-27-2017, 06:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

McMahon's mention probably sold 100+ Shryke's

Old 01-27-2017, 09:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Is McBeth bagging the Monster at all? Was he using it at the Aussie Open? I don't remember him using a Monster in the Champs v. Chumps, but he might have and it wasn't talked about.

I can see McBeth using the Sexton Firebird instead of either the regular Firebirds or Monsters. But I guess we'll see over time...
He was definitely bagging the monster at the end of last season (he has a pink champion one I believe). I don't remember if he threw it in Champs vs. Chumps, but pretty sure it came out during the last regular season tournament. He doesn't throw the Monster a lot though; it's mainly a utility disc for big, high spike hyzers.

One reason that I think he could bag both is that in the Aussie Open video he threw the Sexon Firebird on a ~400 foot straight to hyzer skip shot. I couldn't see him using the Monster on that shot; the Monster wants to knife down right out of his hand; it wouldn't do that 400 foot line with the big skip at the end the way the Sexton Firebird did.

Niced: (1)