Old 04-19-2021, 07:40 PM

Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default Any advice on how to throw farther with CP

Hi guys I have cerebral palsy and I was wondering if anyone can give me some tips or advice on how to to get more distance on my throwing as a LH/BH and LH/FH player. I can get to about 130-150ft with a standstill throwing back and if I throw correctly. Forehand not that far. Some tips or advice would be greatly appreciated I would love to be able to keep up with my friends on the course. Thanks everyone
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 04-19-2021, 08:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 38
Courses Played: 252
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 6,055 Times in 2,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco96 View Post
Hi guys I have cerebral palsy and I was wondering if anyone can give me some tips or advice on how to to get more distance on my throwing as a LH/BH and LH/FH player. I can get to about 130-150ft with a standstill throwing back and if I throw correctly. Forehand not that far. Some tips or advice would be greatly appreciated I would love to be able to keep up with my friends on the course. Thanks everyone
Cerebral Palsy is a disorder that impact a VAST array of movement, muscle tone, balance, and posture. I think you might have to outline how your disorder impacts your ability to throw. Most form queries are better posed with a short video of your throw. Given those things, there are some terrific technique "gurus" here that might be able to give some advice and drills to get you down the fairway with your friends.

Old 04-19-2021, 08:43 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 20
Niced 2,108 Times in 1,168 Posts

Quote:
Research very light discs. You can get both understable and overstable discs anywhere from 105-140g. Those should add some easy distance for you.

Old 04-19-2021, 08:59 PM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 17
Courses Played: 346
Niced 5,877 Times in 2,482 Posts

I'm far from a technique guru, but I'm thinking the people who are could help more if they saw what you're doing (or aren't doing).

As Ru4, your condition can manifest itself in a lot of different ways. I can't imagine they'd be able to coach you up without having at least a decent idea of what's going right or wrong to begin with.

Old 04-19-2021, 09:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 212
Niced 1,083 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
I think the above post about understanding exactly how your CP has affected your mobility/strength is very pertinent. If you have specific questions as you go forward or try to apply DGCR advice, it may be worth asking. But here are some tips:

1) Disc selection does matter. In general you want to find something that doesn't fade out too quickly. I think something in the speed 5-6 range, kind of light, and stable-to-understable is a great choice. If I was to buy a disc for you, it would be a 150s X Stratus.
2) Embrace that a disability may limit your disc golf game, but do continue to work on all the basics (footwork, weight shift, hip rotation, swing plane, grip, release angles... and improving your forehand!)
3) Play catch with people, either using putters or standard catch discs.

Old 05-02-2021, 10:31 PM

Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

Thank you all so much for your support and advice it means alot to me ♥️

Niced: (1)