Old 08-15-2019, 02:41 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 32
Niced 542 Times in 294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova P View Post
I would like to remind you that I still don't talk to you about anything that matters, since the last thread about this topic a couple of months ago, in which you were given ample opportunities to take back calling transgender people's bodies "mutilated" and instead doubled- and tripled-down on that position.

On a less-important note, I do find it amusing that you and I both "niced" Lines' comment. It may be the first thing we've ever agreed about, even if we each probably had different reasons.
Bringing people together through sarcasm.... Like we did before the before the Hadron collider...
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 08-15-2019, 02:49 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 131 Times in 69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcón View Post
Of course you have a different lifestyle. Does a Christian live just like a Muslim? Is it "Islamaphobic" to say that? Does a rich man live just like someone who's homeless? Is it bigoted to say that? How about a Latin family who speaks no English vs a typical "white" family. Is it racist to say they live differently? Does a transgender couple live just like a heterosexual couple? Is it transphobic to point out any differences there may be?

It's ok that people are different from each other. It doesn't take away from our humanity. Recognizing those differences and still treating each other with respect and love is what we should strive for.
When I go and visit my gay friend who lives on the east coast, and am exposed to the gay lifestyle, I find that the part of his lifestyle that has anything to do with his sexuality is inconsequential.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:53 PM

Years Playing: 21.3
Courses Played: 6
Niced 51 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgmc View Post
When I go and visit my gay friend who lives on the east coast, and am exposed to the gay lifestyle, I find that the part of his lifestyle that has anything to do with his sexuality is inconsequential.
Apparently your friend didn't teach you that its ignorant and odious to you the "L" word.

Old 08-15-2019, 03:04 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
Niced 313 Times in 185 Posts

No one has a lifestyle. they just live. now can we move on with a discussion instead of just griping at each other? please?
Old 08-15-2019, 03:06 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDickHyzer View Post
Apparently your friend didn't teach you that its ignorant and odious to you the "L" word.
I’m pretty sure he really alters his lifestyle for my benefit anyway. It’s mostly grindr and recruiting straights when I’m not there.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:07 PM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 1
Niced 1,141 Times in 584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova P View Post
Then don't. I haven't.

I have made precisely one entry into that ledger, and I have made it abundantly plain how to get off the list.
You know, I shouldn't be hypocritical. I DID do this with a poster one time. We just didn't get along, and said things we shouldn't have said. But we ironed things out and eventually had great conversations. Hopefully you and SD can do the same.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:08 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zontar View Post
No one has a lifestyle. they just live. now can we move on with a discussion instead of just griping at each other? please?
Well, the rich and famous most certainly have a lifestyle.

Old 08-15-2019, 03:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 19
Niced 790 Times in 469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Shoulder View Post
I can't know for sure, but it would appear that you are genuinely trying to learn and understand the topic. It does not go unnoticed.
Thanks and for sure, the main reason I started this topic was because it doesn't matter which side of the coin you're on, it's an incredible topic worthy of discussion. Hey, I'll be the first to admit I don't agree with alot in this thread, but we are very lucky to have Laura and others take part in this thread and help us have a better understanding of our own thoughts and opinions.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:02 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 107 Times in 36 Posts

I don't think "lifestyle" in and of itself is a derogatory term it just comes with how it's applied. To me personally lifestyle is the things you choose to do. Life is just who you are. I am trans and a lesbian but those are things I didn't choose. Things I did choose disc golf, fishing, camping so you could say I live a country lifestyle. Even people within the LGBTQIA... community live different lifestyles so to blanket them as one "lifestyle" can be derogatory to some I suppose. After all I am very different from other trans people that hit up clubs every night etc.. Hope that makes since.

Old 08-16-2019, 08:53 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 130 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDickHyzer View Post
Why is the word "lifestyle" so contentious? Especially when the context that it was brought about, was expressing acceptance.

I am trying to have a civil conversation but its next to impossible to keep up with what terms are forbidden. I am immediately met w/ backlash, calling me ignorant and that I am showing hatred (antipathy) for acknowledging and accepting that a transperson's "lifestyle" (oops, there I go again being hostile) is different than my own.
The word "lifestyle" is used in a derogatory sense (when compared to "life").
"nornal" (fill in the normative behaviour) people have a "life", whereas those who divert from that norm are considered having a "lifestyle".

Last edited by gingerandhoney; 08-16-2019 at 08:57 AM.