Old 06-21-2013, 04:35 PM

Courses Played: 2
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Playing my first Tournament Tomorrow, any tips?

Really excited about playing in my first tourney!

Its a smaller local tournament, 9 hole very technical course, 3 rounds, one day, 36 players. Here is the course http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=5655

Looking for any tips or advice from you guys.

I dont have a stool, which I have read is a good idea, but not really sure if its necessary?

I have only played in local league for a few years, so also would like to know if there are any rules or differences I should be aware of before heading out.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2013, 04:47 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 21
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

My only advice is make sure you have plenty of water or Gatorade to get you through the day. Also make sure you get there early enough to practice putting and throw a few drivers to get loose as well. If your league plays the rules as they should, nothing should be different there. Have fun!
Old 06-21-2013, 04:51 PM
Banned

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

keep a rulebook in your bag

don't put too much pressure on yourself, you are just doing what you enjoy doing

i like to wear silk boxers because they make me feel like a million bucks (comfort is important)

get there early so you can practice and get comfortable

you'll probably miss a putt. so what? don't let it derail your round
Old 06-21-2013, 05:02 PM

Courses Played: 2
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

haha! Never thought about the silk boxers!

Great idea bout the rule book too. OMW to go download.

We are pretty good bout playing the rules in league.

Here's a question tho, as far as figuring out if you are outside or inside the circle, as i am sure they wont be marked in any way, is that a judgment call from the group or how does that typically work?
Old 06-21-2013, 05:06 PM
Banned

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

you could carry a pre-measured piece of string, but it usually goes something like this "you guys think i'm outside the circle?" "looks about right" "cool"
Old 06-21-2013, 05:16 PM

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am going to be going to my first real tournament as well tomorrow. I had posted a while back in regards to getting my bag set up for it but i ended up getting some good "other stuff" advice as well. Take from this what you will

Via SIRRALPH:
"I have a little box that I keep in my trunk for tournaments. It has backups for all the discs I carry (or something similar enough to fill that role.)

But more importantly most times, it has an extra pair of socks (oh sh!t it's gonna rain), some boxers (ya never know...) some pain relievers, band-aids, a 5-hr energy, some protein bars, allergy meds, etc. Tournament play is all about that single stroke that makes the difference. Having a spare birdie/rosin bag or a dry pair of socks can make a big difference. And I've actually surprised myself with how many times I've had to dive into that box. "
Old 06-21-2013, 06:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.3
Courses Played: 76
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 173 Times in 106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by disc qualified View Post
keep a rulebook in your bag

don't put too much pressure on yourself, you are just doing what you enjoy doing

i like to wear silk boxers because they make me feel like a million bucks (comfort is important)

get there early so you can practice and get comfortable

you'll probably miss a putt. so what? don't let it derail your round
Bring enough to drink & don't forget towels. If you mess up don't sweat it just remember that other people in the tourney will make mistakes also. Just play like you always do...just another day at the park.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:41 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 44
Niced 6 Times in 2 Posts

Relax and have fun. You will be nervous for the first two holes. This is normal. You will miss a putt that you'd normally make. This is normal. Have a short memory when you shank a drive or miss a bad putt. In other words, don't take it to the next hole. Also, crack a (clean) joke or make fun of yourself in front if your card mates. It helps to loosen up everyone, because guess what? That other guy is nervous too.

Also, almost every foursome in a tourney has 4 types of players: 1. The casual, easy going dude who is much better than you. 2. The guy who takes it way too seriously and isn't as good as he thinks he is. 3. The stoner. 4. The d-bag that you hope you don't get grouped with in the next round.

Which one are you?
Old 06-21-2013, 09:51 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 73
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Have fun! That's the #1 thing. Don't let a bad shot get you out of your groove. Take plenty of drinks/snacks. Long rounds without it can suck.

You don't need a chair, although it is nice to have for long rounds.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:56 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 53
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

1. warm up before hand - lots of practice putts, drives,etc. 2. get to know the course if you can (which you should cuz it's local. 3. take it as a learning experience and have some fun regardless of how you do.