Old 09-18-2017, 11:00 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 10
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 10 Times in 10 Posts
Default Gateway Dyes

Been saying for years I would try my hand at some dyes, finally got around to it, and now I'm hooked. Had a leftover Orange Tern and Flag Dyed HPP Warrior I've already gotten rid of, but have gotten a dozen done so far, really liking the newer Platinum and Diamond stuff, really takes the dyes well.

https://postimg.org/image/s4n45y1rp/
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2017, 04:16 PM

Courses Played: 1
Niced 12 Times in 8 Posts

Extra tip for gateway plastics.
Suregrips won't hold dye, diamond plastics will hold dye well for a good while, unfortunately the platinum will not if it sees any heat cycles or time in the sun.

I put Ozzie Smith doing a back flip on a platinum wizard, he is fading badly after a season of play.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:10 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 94
Niced 306 Times in 192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnietheAceHole View Post
I put Ozzie Smith doing a back flip on a platinum wizard, he is fading badly after a season of play.
That reminds me - one of the things I have been meaning to do is gather up a bunch of old dyes that I still have and take pics to compare with the original pics. I have some dyes that faded really bad in only like 6mo-1yr, but also have some that look still great 3 years later.

I'll try to get that started soon and others can add to it. Maybe we'll be able to find some trends.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-21-2017, 12:15 PM

Niced 20 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post
That reminds me - one of the things I have been meaning to do is gather up a bunch of old dyes that I still have and take pics to compare with the original pics. I have some dyes that faded really bad in only like 6mo-1yr, but also have some that look still great 3 years later.

I'll try to get that started soon and others can add to it. Maybe we'll be able to find some trends.
I think that would be a really cool topic to get going in the forum. See all the before and after pics get the plastic types and colors and start to compare notes and see if there is any kind of pattern to fading and migration of the dye. I have a few dyes that looked super good and then 6 months later they look like crap. I have others that are a year or more old and get thrown a ton and the dye has not faded or migrated very much at all. I would certainly participate in that if you get it going
Old 09-21-2017, 12:53 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 94
Niced 306 Times in 192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedmangled View Post
I think that would be a really cool topic to get going in the forum. See all the before and after pics get the plastic types and colors and start to compare notes and see if there is any kind of pattern to fading and migration of the dye. I have a few dyes that looked super good and then 6 months later they look like crap. I have others that are a year or more old and get thrown a ton and the dye has not faded or migrated very much at all. I would certainly participate in that if you get it going
I will. I have to remember to take new pics of discs that friends of mine have the next time I see them.

Old 09-21-2017, 06:11 PM

Courses Played: 1
Niced 12 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post

This could be a great tool here.
One thing I have noticed is that Lat64 Gold Line plastics are awesome for dyeing.
I put the missouri state seal on a gold line ballista in february. The guy that has it throws it on almost every shot and plays multiple times a day at least 3-4 days a week. Dye is starting to migrate a hair but it is dark and crisp on top as when I finished it.
I am interesting to see how it looks after next summer

Last edited by VinnietheAceHole; 09-21-2017 at 06:11 PM. Reason: spelling