Old 10-17-2014, 11:31 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 29
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Bethesda DGC in Durham, NC

Hey all,

Bethesda is my home disc golf course. It's within walking distance of my house, and although it's a bit "rough" and underdeveloped, I still find it really challenging, and definitely representative of courses here in NC.

My post today is somewhat inquisitive. In this course, there are obvious remnants of a better disc golf course. There are concrete teepads, and signage that has been taken down and forgotten. The course was redesigned to accommodate a walking path. It looks as though the course was now an afterthought, even though I'm sure the fairways were a lot bigger and longer before the sidewalk.

While it sucks, I do understand why the city would install them. But at the cost of a nicer course?

I was curious if anyone knew when and why the changes were made. If anyone knows who the course designer is and how to get in contact with him/her, I would like to help maintain and possibly improve the course if I can.

I'm free after work a few times a week, and could meet up for direction. I have access to power tools and could even work at leveling tees and getting rid of roots.

I just want to help improve my local course, since it seems like it's been a bit forgotten since the sidewalks were installed. All and any information is appreciated, guys and gals.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by Moify; 10-17-2014 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 38.9
Courses Played: 391
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 100 Times in 60 Posts

The course designers are Carl Schumacher and Gary Rains. (They are listed on the course page.) Carl, especially, is a work horse, so I bet he would be thrilled to get your help on the course! I have no idea if they are still putting in time at Bethesda, though. Gary used to be active in DORDA. Send me an email to playdiscgolf (at) gmail.com and I can give you their email addresses.

The new 18 hole course is a vast improvement over the old course! You can find my review notes for the old course here. I was generous not to mention that the old layout ended in the middle of the park with a huge long walk back to the parking lot. You can also read reviews of the old layout, including mine, here.

I believe that the sidewalk was put in first and the disc golf course was built around it.

I haven't been back out there to the new layout in over a year, so I don't know about the current conditions.

But I think that every area should have a Green level course, so this fills a niche in the Triangle.

Last edited by Olorin; 10-17-2014 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:43 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I didn't realize they improved it! I didn't know it used to only be a 9 hole course. And honestly, I thought maybe the sidewalks were where the old fairways used to be.

It's a great course, but I just know it could be made a little better. I'll shoot you an e-mail here in a bit. This is exciting. I can improve the signage and tees, I already walk the course and pick up trash once a week.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 38.9
Courses Played: 391
Niced 100 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moify View Post
I can improve the signage and tees, I already walk the course and pick up trash once a week.
You are a saint! Seriously. Litter irritates me no end.

I'm sure that Gary and Carl would love for you to be involved!

Do you know about DORDA?
Old 10-20-2014, 10:24 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I did not know about DORDA! I was looking at their website last night. I think I'm going to get a bag tag today.

Leigh Farm is one of my favorite courses in the area. They've added like ten alternate baskets.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 169
Niced 150 Times in 76 Posts
Send a message via AIM to New013

yeah man, the original 9 hole course was awful. it was just as short, possibly tighter and definitely more ridiculous. on top of that nobody ever played it or took care of it so it was basically a constant jugle.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:04 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I honestly had no idea. I always thought the opposite. That they had just gone through and abandoned nice, long fairways. I guess it's just strange to see the old teeboxes and signage scattered around. That's why I want to help. I can at least try to improve the teeboxes somehow. Remove roots, etc. Hell, I could do that while I play a round really. Spray paint the "tee rocks" yellow to match the signage.

Old 01-28-2018, 11:31 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Moify I tried to post reply but I think it got lost. Bethesda is my local park too. I'd like to help you in a cleanup /fixup project anytime. I've been stockpiling treated lumber to use for benches and bridges there. Let's talk or throw together soon or meet at Ponysaurus for a beer. I'd like to start focusing on East Durm disc golf for a change. I'd hate for parks and Rec to think we don't care about the Bethesda course