Birdie Member

Years Playing: 21.6
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by zj1002 View Post
We would too...

I would seriously suggest the Apex Purple as well. They hold annys pretty well. It is best keep secret of the second run. Very similar to the Eternal Blue first runs.
I need to beat my purples in more. They hold a line and make a wonderful S curve or flex shot, but I am not getting them to hold the anny line the entire flight like I can with a River or Maul. And I am hoping to remove those 2 models out of the bag... I am just getting one River beaten to the point I believe I can remove the maul.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2017, 03:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 28
Niced 44 Times in 28 Posts

I got a Purple Apex 2nd run and it's a good disc, just too similar to my beat-in S-PD. I'm going to carry it for a while and use it in place of my S-PD to see how it does with some wear.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:12 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 15
Niced 57 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zj1002 View Post
We would too...

I would seriously suggest the Apex Purple as well. They hold annys pretty well. It is best keep secret of the second run. Very similar to the Eternal Blue first runs.
One of my purple Apexs is pretty broken in now. I've started using it for long annys and flip ups that surprise me with how little power they need. It's not much more stable than my C-line FD honestly. It doesn't so much want to turn from flat shots, but if you start it out on the anny angle it holds it for nearly the entire flight.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-04-2017, 03:08 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 23
Niced 73 Times in 55 Posts

Late to the party here, but I recently lost a nicely seasoned champ thunderbird. I've no problems snagging another champ thundy to put back in the bag, but I wouldn't mind giving the alpha a try because I've heard a lot of praise about it (and they're perty). Any particular plastic/run/color/dome profile that would give me similar flight? Looking for that straight to fade with good glide.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:03 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 57 Times in 50 Posts

I’m struggling to find my groove with this disc. The only shots I find myself reaching for it on are pretty situational. Where there’s a bit of wind and I would normally throw a mid, but I worry it won’t quite get there, or will get pushed around too much.

I find my pearly green just doesn’t get a ton of distance for me, compared to my Teebirds. And it’s pretty swingy, a fair bit of turn and fade. So potentially very workable but challenging to rip with consistency.
It could also just be that straight shots are more needed on my home course.
I think I need to take it out for a 1 disc round and try to get to know this disc a little more.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 83
Niced 317 Times in 214 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkimbertx View Post
One of my purple Apexs is pretty broken in now. I've started using it for long annys and flip ups that surprise me with how little power they need. It's not much more stable than my C-line FD honestly. It doesn't so much want to turn from flat shots, but if you start it out on the anny angle it holds it for nearly the entire flight.
This is my experience as well with my purple that's starting to season. Give it just a little nudge to take that turn and it just flat out carves and holds its for most of the flight before fighting out.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.4
Courses Played: 29
Niced 177 Times in 109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reniger View Post
Damn. An Alpha replacing an FD? I have several Alphas, but I haven't seen any that I would deem "understable" like most FDs... I'm jelly.
zj is right, i hit a lot of trees on some of my home courses lol . this is my first alpha i ever got and have been throwing it ever since. it is not as understable as my sfd yet but it is close. i think my beat up eternal is close to the purple apex from the 2nd run but less stable still.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.4
Niced 177 Times in 109 Posts

while i was not the first to coin the disc of the decade phrase for this disc i still feel it deserves at least disc of the year. i still am very honest about how i feel about this disc and has surpassed the initial new disc phase. the new disc love usually lasts a short while for me but this has been a well received disc locally and nationally. i think a lot of people are just taking to it well because its not a super fast, overstable or understable disc,its a disc that anyone can use and build a bag around. its been great watching friends and letting new friends see what i see in this disc.

like everything else though, opinions will vary.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-08-2017, 08:52 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 100
Niced 29 Times in 13 Posts

Depending on run/color of course, I think of it as a teebird for mortals. When I was in my earlier years of playing, the teebird was my go-to for every fairway shot. Now, probably due to extra weight and less flexibility, I find it hard to really get on top of a teebird and get that 330-350 straight flight. The Alpha can fill that spot easily.

Great disc so far. I look forward to throwing it more this winter. Really looking like it will be the go-to fairway for 2018 for me.

Old 12-13-2017, 04:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.4
Niced 94 Times in 74 Posts

Well, I picked up two Pearl Eternals today - one pink and one green. I initially thought the pink was the Candy version, so I was expecting something quite OS. Apparently it is Pearl, because these two seem to fly basically the same.

After about 30 throws this afternoon, my first impressions are very positive. They fly pretty close to my seasoned Rivals, only a little longer and a little faster. On a couple throws they were getting close to touching distances I normally reach with my Outlaws. Really interesting disc that I plan to throw a lot more. I am a little nervous this mold may blow up my current fairway lineup, but we will see as I continue to test them out over the next few months.

Oh and the plastic is great. I dig the pearly look and they are nice and flat.