Old 07-13-2016, 12:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,059 Times in 801 Posts
Default Daedalus

I've thrown the G* and Champ Daedalus. Wasn't a huge fan of the G*. It seemed stubbornly stable and didn't glide very well. If you were able to flip it over it strangely didn't want to fight back and fade at all, but stayed flipped. Frustrating disc.

The Champion Daedalus on the other hand is a bomber. Stiffer plastic, more dome, and better glide. Nice flight too. You can rip it hard and it'll flip up, track right a bit before setting back late in flight. Great glide. IMO better distance capability than a Boss too.

Overall seems like a disc that might have some consistency issues. It's an OK driver, but IMO not groundbreaking/remarkable. It will work for those who want the speed and glide of a Boss, but slightly less stability.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2016, 06:39 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 43.7
Courses Played: 251
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 143 Times in 91 Posts

The Daedalus has become my new distance king. It glides for days. I've experimented with the different plastics & molds.
What I have found is that the light weight GStar makes for a great forehanny disc. The heavier Star makes for great straight, long shots. I have a heavier Champion, but haven't really had the chance to give it a good trial yet.

Another question, Daedalus related: What would the DX stamp look like?
Old 04-30-2020, 03:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Default Daedalus

I know this thread is 4 years old, but I feel like its time to throw some praise to the Daedalus. Specifically the champion Daedalus. I've been a little hit or miss with this mold over the years, but lately I've been finding the champion Daedalus to be a really nice understable bomber.

Thrown with a slight hyzerflip the Daedalus will pop up and then flex out in a nice S curve before gently fading. If I had to describe this disc in one phrase it'd be "Boss L". The Daedalus feels exactly like a Boss in your hand, but is quite a bit more understable.

With the Daedalus you need some dome. I've thrown a few flat ones and haven't been impressed at all. I also don't like it in G* plastic. Too flippy.

The Daedalus is a good driver for calm or tailwind conditions. It'll crush on gorgeous S curves if you get it up in the air with some speed. Top shelf distance. Head to head against a star Tern the Daedalus was matching it.

Somewhat underrated mold. I won't say every Daedalus is a good flier. I've thrown several bad ones. Good disc for noodle arms looking for a fast, long disc to maximize their power.

I've found the champion Daedalus to be just a hair less stable than a Shryke. The Daedalus is easier to flip up or turn over.
Old 06-12-2020, 02:02 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 297 Times in 149 Posts

I had not even heard of this disc until it showed up a while back as a thoughtful birthday present. As a 280 ft. average thrower of 6-7 speed discs, still cutting my teeth on higher speeds, the Daedalus is working nicely for me. I got both a Champ Daedalus in a domey, gummy Champ, and a Hades in ESP. The Daedalus is hands-down better for my arm and feels much more comfortable in the grip (and I do like the feel of the Hades).

The Hades I have to put a bit power into to get it turning. The Daedalus, not as much. But it's also easy to get it nose-up and turn it into a balloon. Have to put a little torque over on each of them, obviously, considering my low arm speed.

Distance-wise they both get me an extra ~50 feet at the expense of some accuracy. I think it's fair to market the Daedalus for less-experienced, less-powerful players. I'm having a lot of fun with it.
Old 06-12-2020, 03:57 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,261 Times in 1,034 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco40 View Post
I had not even heard of this disc until it showed up a while back as a thoughtful birthday present. As a 280 ft. average thrower of 6-7 speed discs, still cutting my teeth on higher speeds, the Daedalus is working nicely for me. I got both a Champ Daedalus in a domey, gummy Champ, and a Hades in ESP. The Daedalus is hands-down better for my arm and feels much more comfortable in the grip (and I do like the feel of the Hades).

The Hades I have to put a bit power into to get it turning. The Daedalus, not as much. But it's also easy to get it nose-up and turn it into a balloon. Have to put a little torque over on each of them, obviously, considering my low arm speed.

Distance-wise they both get me an extra ~50 feet at the expense of some accuracy. I think it's fair to market the Daedalus for less-experienced, less-powerful players. I'm having a lot of fun with it.
Most US discs -2,2 for say something like a Valkyrie/ rubbery DX Dragonor more US then that, the disc will do the Balloon up if you nose the up, Same goes for most 180 Gram max diameter discs 5 grams less then max or more, the disc will if nosed up tend to balloon in a high float glide.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-27-2020, 07:08 PM
Par Member

Niced 15 Times in 14 Posts

i ve been throwing ocasdional 171 orange champ daedalus recently...i like it calm downwind.will get turn not much fade...to me its a straighter slightly shorter king(10 15 ft)...i like it for low straight shots that can finish right...and use it for long fairway shots on par 5s....my bosses feel faster out of the hand but similar distance...have been getting a good bit of turn out of bosses if any headwind at all...but in a good way
Old 11-27-2020, 07:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grogden View Post
i ve been throwing ocasdional 171 orange champ daedalus recently...i like it calm downwind.will get turn not much fade...to me its a straighter slightly shorter king(10 15 ft)...i like it for low straight shots that can finish right...and use it for long fairway shots on par 5s....my bosses feel faster out of the hand but similar distance...have been getting a good bit of turn out of bosses if any headwind at all...but in a good way
The last few Daedaluses I've thrown have been domey champions. Good drivers. They turn, but not enough to be flippy. Great glide and huge distance.

These things will go over 450' routinely. I find Kings to be much flippier.

If Innova made a "BossL" it'd be the Daedalus.
Old 12-01-2020, 04:59 PM
Par Member

Niced 15 Times in 14 Posts

i was throwing vip king vs champ daedalyus vs blizz katana downwind/crosswind over right shoulder... The daedalus was the big winner in this.. got one bomb thrown hyzer flip a little high did not measure but was considerably further than the katana..i dont want to say upper 400s..+...but the king was 400 and not a good one..it turned into the wind and got slapped...this was a lot further but left.
Old 12-01-2020, 05:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grogden View Post
i was throwing vip king vs champ daedalyus vs blizz katana downwind/crosswind over right shoulder... The daedalus was the big winner in this.. got one bomb thrown hyzer flip a little high did not measure but was considerably further than the katana..i dont want to say upper 400s..+...but the king was 400 and not a good one..it turned into the wind and got slapped...this was a lot further but left.
The Daedalus will surprise you. Those things are so long when you hit them just right. I've had problems with the Daedalus before, but lately all the ones I've seen have been long bombers that can handle some power without getting too flippy.

FWIW, all the bad Daedaluses I've thrown were flat G*s. Domey champions are way, way better.

Niced: (1)

Old 12-01-2020, 08:06 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 98 Times in 70 Posts

I threw my pancake flat champ Daedalus on the course today as part of my newly built Teal only bag. Holy cow is it beefy! It demonstrates some flip up, but never turns over. I threw it on a force over high anny line on one hole in which I find this type of shot to be the best drive off the tee, and it fought out of the anny about 250 feet into its flight, and never thought about holding it. I then later threw it hard and flat into a roughly 10-15mph headwind on a different hole, and I got a sweet full flight massive S curve out of it with a healthy fade, and I thought I bombed it. I then proceeded to walk to the basket (380 feet out) to expect to find the Daedalus well beyond it, given the tremendous turn and fade it demonstrated, but to my dismay I found it about 20 feet in front of the basket. For reference, in the previous round on the same day, I threw my brand new Hybrid Raider into that same 10-15mph headwind on a same flight line, and it S'd out about 30 feet beyond the basket.

All this told me two things: 1, it's extremely beefy and not a turnover utility disc at all (at least not right now,), but two, this thing has no glide to it. Even on a full flight, it didn't get much distance at all on its turn.

I would try some newer domey champ Dadealus's, but I think I'll just stick to a Star Shryke for this kind of shot.