Old 09-10-2019, 12:46 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 45
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 206 Times in 97 Posts
Default Ratings and Divisions Question

I am not a TD, but I am curious as to whether a TD can bump someone up a division if said person's rating is higher than the division they are registered in.

A friend of mine has played one sanctioned tournament in Rec and got 2nd place and updated today to a 917. But he played in a highly participated unsanctioned tournament earlier in the year in the same division and played badly, so I don't know how well the one tournament represents his overall tournament skill. He is signed up for a sanctioned tournament on the 21st and 22nd in Rec still.

Just trying to get an idea of what might happen to him when we sign in.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links

Last edited by jeremyhilss; 09-10-2019 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.8
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,555 Times in 1,490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyhilss View Post
I am not a TD, but I am curious as to whether a TD can bump someone up a division if said person's rating is higher than the division they are registered in.

A friend of mine has played one sanctioned tournament in Rec and got 2nd place and updated today to a 917. But he played in a highly participated unsanctioned tournament earlier in the year in the same division and played badly, so I don't know how well the one tournament represents his overall tournament skill. He is signed up for a sanctioned tournament on the 21st and 22nd in Rec still.

Just trying to get an idea of what might happen to him when we sign in.

Thanks in advance!
The applicable rule is Competition Manual 2.02

Quote:
A, Players are allowed to enter a ratings-based division they would otherwise be ineligible to participate in only under the following circumstances:

1. If approved before the event by the PDGA Tour Manager.
2. Players who have become ineligible for a division due to a ratings update may participate for two weeks following the update, provided they are pre-registered for the event in question, at the discretion of the Tournament Director.
The TD can bump him up, but does not have to as the tournament is within the two week window. Best bet would be for your friend to get in touch with the TD and find out how he wants to handle it. Perhaps with an explanation of the situation, specifically the fact that the rating is based on one good tournament and nothing else, he may let your friend stay in Rec.

Niced: (1)

Old 09-10-2019, 08:15 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 45
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 206 Times in 97 Posts

Thanks for the input!