Old 01-31-2020, 04:49 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 0.7
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 29 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odedge View Post
I think a slight hyzer is easier to replicate, but I think a flat shot is more important to learn. With a flat shot, you can get more out of the disc doing the work for you since there is a wide range of understable to overstable discs.

In addition, I think it's easier to then tweak a flat shot into varying degrees of hyzer and anhyzer angles if you want to manipulate the discs even more.
So I should stick with the flat shot?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2020, 05:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20
Courses Played: 172
Niced 850 Times in 352 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayph1n View Post
I would suggest two things:

1. Limit the number of discs you throw when learning. Neutral putter, neutral mid, neutral fairway. Get a few of each so you can replicate throws with the same disc. Throw those same discs over and over again so you learn how they fly.

2. Learn to throw those discs on different angles. Throw three hyzers in a row. Throw three annies in a row. Throw three flat shots in a row. Try to get as consistent as possible with each angle. And see what works best for you.

A truly flat shot is probably the most difficult shot to throw in disc golf. A little off either way and the results can be quite different. That is why most people default to either slight hyzer or slight anny (flex shot) for their default.

Putters are great when learning to throw. Putters do what you tell them, for better or for worse, so they give you really good feedback (except about nose angle, but that was not your question).

Good luck!

Niced: (1)
Old 01-31-2020, 05:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.2
Courses Played: 95
Niced 1,600 Times in 617 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
No!!
You want to throw a flat shot but the release should not be flat all the time. To your original question do not release flat.

Niced: (2)

Last edited by Jay Dub; 01-31-2020 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-31-2020, 05:20 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
Niced 371 Times in 226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monocacy View Post

1. Limit the number of discs you throw when learning. Neutral putter, neutral mid, neutral fairway. Get a few of each so you can replicate throws with the same disc. Throw those same discs over and over again so you learn how they fly.

2. Learn to throw those discs on different angles. Throw three hyzers in a row. Throw three annies in a row. Throw three flat shots in a row. Try to get as consistent as possible with each angle. And see what works best for you.

A truly flat shot is probably the most difficult shot to throw in disc golf. A little off either way and the results can be quite different. That is why most people default to either slight hyzer or slight anny (flex shot) for their default.

Putters are great when learning to throw. Putters do what you tell them, for better or for worse, so they give you really good feedback (except about nose angle, but that was not your question).

Good luck!
solid advice here. honestly limiting discs to 5 or fewer will really help your game when learning.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-31-2020, 06:05 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monocacy View Post

Good luck!
Currently I have a few Buzzz, Mantis, and Focus. I also have some understable stuff like Sting and Heat along with a Comet.
Old 01-31-2020, 06:09 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
No!!
You want to throw a flat shot but the release should not be flat all the time. To your original question do not release flat.
Ok so I want to have a hyzer finish. I have basically been trying to finish all my throws flat.
Old 01-31-2020, 06:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Ok so I want to have a hyzer finish. I have basically been trying to finish all my throws flat.
Not sure about hyzer "finish". I was talking about release. How you finish is after you release the disc.
Old 01-31-2020, 06:38 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
Not sure about hyzer "finish". I was talking about release. How you finish is after you release the disc.
Ok so the release shouldn't be flat but finish could be.
Old 01-31-2020, 06:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
What is finish? I am not understanding.
Just release it naturally with a slight hyzer release and don't worry about the finish.

One thing newer players do that want to learn is over think it, you're getting to that point.

Old 01-31-2020, 06:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
This describes rolling your wrist, that's a bad habit I have sometime. You don't want to do that.
Hyzer release and follow thru the same, flat release and follow thru the same, an-hyzer release and follow thru the same.