Old 05-06-2014, 04:36 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default How is GStar Rhyno

Anyone try out the new GStar rhyno? Is it similar to xg champions? Impressions on it?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2014, 04:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 74
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I've not thrown the Rhino, but I've thrown a handful of other GStar discs. Each of those were less stable than their Star counterparts. I'd assume Rhynos continue that trend. Also probably pretty soft.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 177
Niced 123 Times in 76 Posts

I am absolutely loving it. It is great for pinpoint control when driving and it sticks to the chains incredibly well. I cannot compare it to other Rhynos because my experience is limited, but of the Rhynos I do remember throwing, I am enjoying the GStar far more.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:54 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 18.9
Courses Played: 75
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 14 Times in 9 Posts

I like em, nice and flat and grippy
Old 05-06-2014, 04:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 177
Niced 123 Times in 76 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRaph View Post
I've not thrown the Rhino, but I've thrown a handful of other GStar discs. Each of those were less stable than their Star counterparts. I'd assume Rhynos continue that trend. Also probably pretty soft.
Not completely true. GStar Leopards and Roadrunners have a touch more stability than their Star counterparts. If anything, it seems the more stable the Star inherently is, the less stable GStar is (while still being stable to overstable). Conversely, it seems that the less stable a Star disc inherently is, such as Leopards and Roadrunners, the more stable it will be in GStar. For every mold of GStar I have thrown, the general rule of thumb seems to be that GStar has moved the mold closer to true stability.

I have not thrown the Sidewinder, Tern, or Daedalus, so I am not going to go as far as saying all molds hold to my observation.

Even the Roc3 which initially seemed more stable than a normal Star Roc3 did not hold that extra stability long and I find that it is now, after two weeks, on par with my Champion Roc3s.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 28
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Mine is new but it's flying like a slightly more stable R-Pro, probably closer to the Pros they have in the pro shop.

It doesn't flop on the ground quite like the R-Pros but it's definitely less stable and skips less than any champ I've thrown.

As far as I'm concerned it's perfect and expect it to beat in to a nice sweet spot. If you like Rhynos I have a feeling you will like this disc.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:54 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRaph View Post
Nope. They're stable. And they have decent glide, and grip. The only downside I see to them is the sharp flashing on the bottom. But definitely a great addition to my bag

Niced: (1)
Old 05-06-2014, 08:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.7
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 244 Times in 156 Posts

Hmm now i have to try one. I was concerned with them being domey and not being os. I never liked star rhynos so i was already hesitant about gstar.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 5
Niced 858 Times in 596 Posts

It would not be the first time I've had to sand down flashing... I don't see that as a downside unless I can't find sandpaper, or a file, maybe a kitchen knife.. or a sharp rock. Man I didn't want to hear about this but morbid curiousity got the better of me. I'm gonna forget I read this and keep playing with that Envy, that showed up, last week, with some other discs.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:36 PM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 175
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 747 Times in 339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarkquart View Post
Not completely true. GStar Leopards and Roadrunners have a touch more stability than their Star counterparts. If anything, it seems the more stable the Star inherently is, the less stable GStar is (while still being stable to overstable). Conversely, it seems that the less stable a Star disc inherently is, such as Leopards and Roadrunners, the more stable it will be in GStar. For every mold of GStar I have thrown, the general rule of thumb seems to be that GStar has moved the mold closer to true stability.

I have not thrown the Sidewinder, Tern, or Daedalus, so I am not going to go as far as saying all molds hold to my observation.

Even the Roc3 which initially seemed more stable than a normal Star Roc3 did not hold that extra stability long and I find that it is now, after two weeks, on par with my Champion Roc3s.
G-star Leopards are more uinderstable than star leopards.