Old 06-15-2017, 10:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 122
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 568 Times in 347 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
Flyboy is close enough to Charlotte, especially if you get an opportunity to play the Viper layout. I played the regular Flyboy layout, but saw some of the Viper course along the way....holy cow, those looked like some extremely difficult holes.
The DGCR page is showing it as extinct?

Flyboy was on my mind for years but when I saw that I figured I was too late. Is it still open?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimimc View Post
I don't believe Iron Hill is near as tough as it used to be. We've spent the last 9 years tweaking this and that as well as cleaning up the first layer of rough
Appreciate the info. I'd still like to check it out based on what I've heard about it, but I'll temper my expectations a bit.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2017, 11:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.6
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,684 Times in 1,585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
The DGCR page is showing it as extinct?

Flyboy was on my mind for years but when I saw that I figured I was too late. Is it still open?
It's open at limited times, if you can wrangle an invite.

And worth whatever it takes to do that wrangling.

But it's not quite the brutal course you're looking for.....more of a dream course.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:29 AM
Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 168
Niced 2,439 Times in 1,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab Man View Post
Pipeline DGC in Spartanburg SC. It might have been a combination of the course and the 95 plus degree July day, but that course kicked my butt the day we played it.
Spartanburg is a nice destination of courses to hit regardless, but Pipeline does have some really crazy holes, mostly crazy in a good way. I dunno if it's all that more challenging than say, RL Smith though?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
I see you have yet to play Rockness Monster and Sasquatch. Both physically challenging and challenging golf. Played from the longs both are really tough.
The most challenging part is driving to Roxboro. Man is that in the middle of nowhere. Rockness is a seriously wooded course and I think Mike would like it b/c it's a very secluded course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerealman View Post
WR Jackson (IDGC) in Appling, Ga.
Back 9 at Harmon Hills in Fall Branch, Tenn.
Harmon is fantastic but the first 18 I don't think will trouble Mike at all. It's mostly pretty open holes on rolling farmland. Mike has the arm to take "Simon" routes and really do some damage on a lot of those holes but it is a seriously great course. That tertiary nine that I think Cerealman is referring to is actually my favorite part but I don't think it's as difficult as Sugaree. It's basically very Sugaree-esque (lots of huge rocks) with a bit less elevation and more defined fairways. Gorgeous holes and a decent hike though.

I'd probably recommend Black Jack as a brutal course if it hasn't been mentioned yet. You really feel the elevation change taking a toll on your body as you play that one, tight lines, tough to get footing, tree kicks can be disastrous. Not really brutal in an extreme sense but Rock Ridge in Pittsboro is a really well designed course in relation to assigned par and multi-throw holes. Combined with Rockness they're probably the best wooded courses in middle NC. You can fit in Jones Park (Charlotte-esque holes) and Buckhorn (older but still fairly challenging, especially the water holes) with Rock Ridge without driving too much.

Niced: (2)
Old 06-16-2017, 07:02 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 116
Niced 249 Times in 100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
That tertiary nine that I think Cerealman is referring to is actually my favorite part but I don't think it's as difficult as Sugaree. It's basically very Sugaree-esque (lots of huge rocks) with a bit less elevation and more defined fairways. Gorgeous holes and a decent hike though.
That may have been true the last time you played Sugaree, but not today. The hardest hole, #1 has been split into two holes and all the non-original holes have been thinned out considerably. It's more about fun now,unless you play the supercourse layout,which is way more difficult than the HH wooded nine.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by Mando; 06-16-2017 at 07:07 AM.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:19 PM
Resident Toad Licker Extraordinaire

Courses Played: 2
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Idlewild - Burlington, KY

Not sure if this was already mentioned but this course is beastly.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 42
Niced 92 Times in 57 Posts

If you ever make it to the Austin area, Manor East Metro (just Manor to locals) is a top notch course that will abuse you when you leave the fairway, and you will leave the fairway, especially playing from the longs. I'm talking brambles, mesquite, cactus (lots of barrel cactus, which is the worst), and even the occasional rattlesnake.

Texas States was played there recently, I think 2014. There is video online.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:20 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 20.1
Courses Played: 168
Niced 231 Times in 109 Posts

In my neck of the woods I would have to go with Pickard and Blue Valley. Not bad during mild weather but a real bitch in the heat.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1023

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=67
Old 06-17-2017, 11:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 122
Niced 568 Times in 347 Posts

/thread

Old 06-17-2017, 11:39 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 52
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Panther Creek in Morristown TN

Old 06-18-2017, 11:27 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 161
Niced 17 Times in 11 Posts

I'd agree that the third set of 9 on Harmon Hills is among the hardest stretch of holes that I've played. Part of that is probably because the previous 18 aren't a walk in the park either.

Nockamixon is definitely one of the most brutal courses I've played, but it's pretty crazy how fair it still is.

I'd call Whippin' Post and Woodshed brutal as well, but definitely in a fun way.

Some others:

The Black Course and Orange Crush in WV
Armco Park - Blue in KY
Friends of Punderson in OH
Idlewild

Last edited by BigAl724; 06-18-2017 at 11:32 AM.