Old 11-15-2018, 11:58 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 115
Niced 295 Times in 144 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
That's valid. He's already got the underlying business, and weekend events are supplemental.

For most TDs, the financial rewards aren't there.

I'm not saying we shouldn't do it---just that the reasons aren't financial. Moreso with the pros, but either way, we're doing it for other reasons. And clearly, right now, it's worth the effort to enough people, to bring top pros to their course or town, and perhaps video coverage, that they keep doing it.
Yep, I TD a couple/three events a year. Have made a couple dollars a couple times but usually break even or lose a few bucks. I do it out of pride for the courses I've been involved in designing, building, and/or take care of. Not saying this is the way it should be though. I'm at the point where I'm not going to do it if I can't profit a bit.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2018, 12:12 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.9
Courses Played: 160
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 149 Times in 45 Posts

There are a lot of things being said on this thread that are just not true. Also, we need to be patient and let Steve present his plan. I talked with both Steve and Terry yesterday, and while I was surprised at the Smashboxxx announcement (and a little sad), Steve has a vision and he has a done a great job with the DGPT so we should give him the benefit of the doubt.

Also, Smashboxxx isn't going anywhere. I have already been in communications with the PDGA media team and JV and Terry about Pro Worlds. I am sure they will do a great job with Pro Worlds.

Also, Jomez will be fine as well. The idea that they would create their own tour is ludicrous. The amount of work that has gone in to creating the DGPT is absolutely insane. Steve has people who do logistics, media, marketing, social media, sponsorship, etc etc etc. Jomez's core competency is filming disc golf events, not running a Tour. Yes, maybe they can find some good A Tiers that they can film, and I am sure they will. But who says they won't be filming any Pro Tour events? Even if Steve doesn't contract Jomez to film events, tournaments could still choose to hire Jomez (or CCDG) to come film their event. Yes, it may not be lead card, but Jomez isn't going anywhere. If I was a betting man I would say Jomez will be filming at Ledgestone in 2019, and maybe CCDG as well.

Also, its silly to think that Pros will not follow the money. The pros like Jomez and CCDG (and I am very fond of them myself). But right now these pros don't have luxury to play a bunch of the smaller A Tiers. For starters, there is so much more money involved with DGPT events. The entry fees are higher (and a lot of pros get their entry fees paid for) and the added cash is a lot higher. So they are going to these higher priced events with a lot of donators paying a $225 entry fee. At the smaller A Tiers, the entry fees may only be $100, and the added cash is probably only $3000 or so. They simply can't afford to play a lot of the smaller events.

Also, the idea that a bunch of other tournaments can just magically raise their added cash to a larger level is silly as well. If those tournaments could do that they would have already done that and they would have already considered trying to join the NT or the DGPT. The bottom line is, unless you spend 300+ hours running a large scale event, you probably won't be able to raise enough money to run a DGPT or NT event and you certainly won't be able to make a profit off of it. To do it right you need to put the time in, and most people (understandably so) don't have the time for it.

Quote:
Will sales of ledgestone discs be down this year because people are upset over the media policy?
That answer is a definitive no. I have already sold 12,000 disc to vendors for the 2019 releases.

Quote:
Not for me, Swirly GLO ESP Mantis, ESP Cyclone, ESP Bangers (although I'll probably get a couple of MJ's when the drop on Black Friday).
We are excited to bring back the Cyclone for a small, limited run!

Old 11-15-2018, 12:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,111 Times in 646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohtoVillage View Post
Also, Jomez will be fine as well. The idea that they would create their own tour is ludicrous. The amount of work that has gone in to creating the DGPT is absolutely insane.
Dodge started with zero followers. Jomez is approaching 100k. That makes a huge difference when it comes to starting up something. Just sayin....
Old 11-15-2018, 12:25 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 43
Niced 35 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
Dodge started with zero followers. Jomez is approaching 100k. That makes a huge difference when it comes to starting up something. Just sayin....
100k YOUTUBE followers.

Yes, they make money via merch sales and through partnerships, I'm sure. But 100k followers doesn't instantly mean money or mean anything to the viability of a tour.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-15-2018, 12:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 31
Niced 851 Times in 414 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinkecm View Post
100k YOUTUBE followers.

Yes, they make money via merch sales and through partnerships, I'm sure. But 100k followers doesn't instantly mean money or mean anything to the viability of a tour.
I believe a large portion of their revenue comes from the ads in their videos (rather than payouts from YouTube directly). CCDG's the same way IIRC, though Ian can correct me if I'm wrong.

Niced: (2)
Old 11-15-2018, 12:32 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 86
Niced 77 Times in 49 Posts

I think Jomez pro could do a mini tour. They could sell fundraising discs and sponsor the tournaments they film. They wouldn’t need to sponsor many tournaments. Maybe 4 or 5.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:35 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoobyPls View Post
I believe a large portion of their revenue comes from the ads in their videos (rather than payouts from YouTube directly). CCDG's the same way IIRC, though Ian can correct me if I'm wrong.
They also get around $1000 from their patreon followers per video.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:42 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 43
Niced 35 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosteve View Post
I think Jomez pro could do a mini tour. They could sell fundraising discs and sponsor the tournaments they film. They wouldn’t need to sponsor many tournaments. Maybe 4 or 5.
But why? What's the benefit? Do we need another tour?
Old 11-15-2018, 12:45 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
But why? What's the benefit? Do we need another tour?
Jomez needs more events to film.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,111 Times in 646 Posts

Quote:
But 100k followers doesn't instantly mean money or mean anything to the viability of a tour.
Ofcourse, my point was starting with 100k followers is a pretty good asset. At the end of the day, it's all about the money. Pros will follow the money trail regardless if it's the Disc Golf Pro Tour or the DGCR Tour.