Old 11-29-2018, 03:14 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 526 Times in 300 Posts

Hard question to answer really. In my personal experience headwind distance I think is all, or most of what would be missing.

In this vein I have thrown just to see in comparison MF TB, Seasoned Star TB, JL EagleX, slightly seasoned Star Eagle X, not sure how used Champ TB and EagleX in same condition and fairly used C-FD.

I've thrown these all a couple times on a big long hole with an elevated tee so able to really watch the flight and compare.

The biggest difference in wanting to eliminate a TB I think would just come from the ability to throw into a headwind. Though I don't have a second run FD. The Eagles that have the HSS to standup to a decent headwind are outdistanced by the Teebirds by a pretty good amount and the harder fade of the champ EagleX I had a hard time placing the shot where I wanted in those cases.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2018, 04:29 PM
I'm With Her

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,295 Times in 1,689 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
Question on this mold for possibly taking over a good chunk of my bag - backstory:

I like FDs, and typically pair them with a teebird and firebird or two to round out my fairway driver slots. Considering possibly trying out a set of Eagles to take over the S/OS and OS fairway slots alongside a spectrum of FDs, and leave the 'birds at home.

What am I missing out on leaving eschewing teebirds and firebirds for a star eagle X and the beefiest, highest PLH champ eagle X I can find? Anyone try pairing eagles with FDs, how does it go?

I like flip to fade, but I also appreciate the glide of a teebird which I think probably does a better 2nd run FD impression than a star EX. Thoughts?
Try the Eagles, see how they work out for you and your bag. If it works, great. If not, go back to what you were doing before. The only thing you'd be missing out on is the fun of trying something new, if you don't try something new...
Old 11-29-2018, 06:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 558 Times in 360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Try the Eagles, see how they work out for you and your bag. If it works, great. If not, go back to what you were doing before. The only thing you'd be missing out on is the fun of trying something new, if you don't try something new...
I'll def try an eagle alongside some other options, and thanks above too regarding the various teebs and eagles on the downhill D hole.

The primary reason I like the idea of eagles over the 'birds is that I imagined I could get away with 1 less mold... we all know how that goes.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:48 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 15
Niced 466 Times in 283 Posts

Eagles will definitely go flip to fade, and you might be surprised on how much glide a worked in eagle has. DX eagles glide real nice as well.

Question: anyone seem or heard of luster X or L eagles? Seems like the eagle of either variety could be real nice in luster, or the newer pearly champ that is floating around these days.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:16 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 26
Niced 94 Times in 80 Posts

I love my DX Eagle Ls for turnovers and Ls for dead straight shots.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:47 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 280 Times in 163 Posts

Still in search of a workhorse driver, was thinking of picking up a dx Eagle to experiment with cycling base plastic. Are the 150 class dx eagles significantly less stable than max weight? I’ve seen mention of 150 class eagles maintaining their stability.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:28 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.4
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 217 Times in 109 Posts

In general I think 150 class holds up well, what 150 class I have is premium plastic though.

Yeah it gets blown around in the wind more, and yeah if you torque it they’re going to hold turn longer.

Depending on course, temperature, and how I’m feeling I’ve got a couple 150 class discs I’ll gag and throw a fair amount. Always fun when somebody asks what you just threw and you tell them 150 class blah blah blah.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:10 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 26
Niced 94 Times in 80 Posts

I cycle Eagles currently have X and L molds in Champ and DX plastic and it’s been amazing both BH and FH
Old 12-18-2018, 09:48 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 74 Times in 58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
Question on this mold for possibly taking over a good chunk of my bag - backstory:

I like FDs, and typically pair them with a teebird and firebird or two to round out my fairway driver slots. Considering possibly trying out a set of Eagles to take over the S/OS and OS fairway slots alongside a spectrum of FDs, and leave the 'birds at home.

What am I missing out on leaving eschewing teebirds and firebirds for a star eagle X and the beefiest, highest PLH champ eagle X I can find? Anyone try pairing eagles with FDs, how does it go?

I like flip to fade, but I also appreciate the glide of a teebird which I think probably does a better 2nd run FD impression than a star EX. Thoughts?
Eagle and FD combo works great. I use a mix of plastics of each and that pretty much covers everything I need. Since I picked up a c-line FD to pair with my g-line. I don't see much point in carrying a Teebird any longer other than I like it, and the fluorescent macaroni and cheese color on the one I have is really easy to find.

Old 12-18-2018, 10:49 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 15
Niced 466 Times in 283 Posts

Eagle and teebird can coexist, especially a beat teebird/ fresh eagle x. I don’t think it’s necessary for the most part personally. Since I started throwing ELs I haven’t even thought about my teebirds. Champ x, worked in X or fresh L, worked in L is the combo for fairways. Maybe toss a worked in Leo on the end and that’s 90% of teeshots over 300’ for me.