Lift
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2019, 10:21 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,502 Times in 1,885 Posts

At 330, any driver over speed 9/10 is worthless. Stick to the tried and true molds like Valks, Sidewinders, Roadrunners, or Orion LSs. And then a Orion LF/Thunderbird for windy days.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-19-2019, 11:28 AM

Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
At 330, any driver over speed 9/10 is worthless. Stick to the tried and true molds like Valks, Sidewinders, Roadrunners, or Orion LSs. And then a Orion LF/Thunderbird for windy days.
I’ve always found this to be a funny thing. MOST all your top FPO women don’t touch 400’ most days. Take for instance Jennifer Allen the Current women’s record holder. She threw 387’ in the 2019 long drive competition at worlds 2019. What’s her distance driver of choice? 12 speed Destroyers?

Last edited by Aquajunky02; 12-19-2019 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-19-2019, 12:26 PM

Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

Streets to be fair I don’t necessarily disagree with you I just find it funny men are always told “don’t throw a such speed disc until you can throw some other one x amount of feet”. When you consider your Average healthy male player probably throws in the 300-400’ range which is around most top FPO females. Discs don’t know if a Man or Woman threw them. I totally agree with the form first argument though. Your recommendations I also agree are good. Let’s be real the Valk held the record for a decade. It can bomb.

Last edited by Aquajunky02; 12-19-2019 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-19-2019, 01:15 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 356 Times in 244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquajunky02 View Post
Streets to be fair I don’t necessarily disagree with you I just find it funny men are always told “don’t throw a such speed disc until you can throw some other one x amount of feet”. When you consider your Average healthy male player probably throws in the 300-400’ range which is around most top FPO females. Discs don’t know if a Man or Woman threw them. I totally agree with the form first argument though. Your recommendations I also agree are good. Let’s be real the Valk held the record for a decade. It can bomb.
It kind of depends on what OP wants. I think the point in recommending 9/10 speed is that at 330 ft max, there's too much risk reward with a 12 speed driver. I mean, sure I can throw any flippy distance driver maybe 30 ft farther at times (Thrasher, Tern, Pro Destroyer, Renegade, whatever) though not always. But after enough experience in disc golf I think many come to the conclusion that one is more accurate with 9 speed and for the most part it's just not worth it the variance that a wider rimmed discs provide by nature. Plus the speed 9's can still bomb.

And, top pro female throwers, although female, likely throw a lot farther than most male DGCR members. I don't believe most of you that say you max out at 400-450 (sorry). And to your point, if I'm in distance competition, I'm throwing one of those flippy 12 speeds, but not on the course.
Old 12-19-2019, 04:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquajunky02 View Post
I’ve always found this to be a funny thing. MOST all your top FPO women don’t touch 400’ most days. Take for instance Jennifer Allen the Current women’s record holder. She threw 387’ in the 2019 long drive competition at worlds 2019. What’s her distance driver of choice? 12 speed Destroyers?
It's funny you bring up JA because I feel like when I see her throw in tournament coverage, she is spraying those 12 speeds all over the place. She'd probably be better off clubbing down to a Valk/Thunderbird/Teebird, backing off her throw a little and throw it exactly where she's aiming.

Old 12-19-2019, 04:19 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 27
Niced 499 Times in 308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
It's funny you bring up JA because I feel like when I see her throw in tournament coverage, she is spraying those 12 speeds all over the place. She'd probably be better off clubbing down to a Valk/Thunderbird/Teebird, backing off her throw a little and throw it exactly where she's aiming.
What about Paige Shue? She is rarely the longest thrower on her card when I watch FPO coverage, and she forces over fast drivers on an anny release flex line. That's basically the opposite of what most DGCRs recommend. And yet, she keeps the disc in the fairway while playing that way and she has a world title to her name. So would you really tell her she's better off discing down to an Escape?

Niced: (2)
Old 12-19-2019, 06:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
What about Paige Shue? She is rarely the longest thrower on her card when I watch FPO coverage, and she forces over fast drivers on an anny release flex line. That's basically the opposite of what most DGCRs recommend. And yet, she keeps the disc in the fairway while playing that way and she has a world title to her name. So would you really tell her she's better off discing down to an Escape?
Sure. Besides, Escapes can go pretty far.

Old 12-19-2019, 07:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 193
Niced 715 Times in 466 Posts

You mentioned max D is 330'. Is that a consistent 300-300'? Or a "I yoinked the heck out of this one and got it to 330' but would have a tough time replicating the shot..."?

Either way, one disc I recommend is a Pro Leopard. It could be one of your regulars very soon. It does well both at 100% and 75% power and definitely has more than 330' distance potential. Learning how to throw hyzer flips and turnovers with it will be useful even if you're not using it for max D, and it is a good disc for both form work and the course.

If you want a max D disc, I wouldn't be surprised if a Tern worked well for you. There seems to be general agreement that it's a speed 12 that works relatively lower for "lower speed arms." Speeds 9 & 10s, particularly Valkyrie (maybe Pro or flippier Star), but also a Sidewinder (Star?) or Heat, also seem like decent options.

Old 12-19-2019, 08:05 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
You mentioned max D is 330'. Is that a consistent 300-300'? Or a "I yoinked the heck out of this one and got it to 330' but would have a tough time replicating the shot..."?

Either way, one disc I recommend is a Pro Leopard. It could be one of your regulars very soon. It does well both at 100% and 75% power and definitely has more than 330' distance potential. Learning how to throw hyzer flips and turnovers with it will be useful even if you're not using it for max D, and it is a good disc for both form work and the course.

If you want a max D disc, I wouldn't be surprised if a Tern worked well for you. There seems to be general agreement that it's a speed 12 that works relatively lower for "lower speed arms." Speeds 9 & 10s, particularly Valkyrie (maybe Pro or flippier Star), but also a Sidewinder (Star?) or Heat, also seem like decent options.
That is I can consistently hit 330' with the scorpious. And I will be the first one to admit that it is to fast a disc for my arm speed. I can consistently hit 220 - 230 with my putters but only get 260 with my mids. I am sure it is something in my form and this winter I am spending time with my putters and mids. If it is a 300' hole I have to throw my Patriot or teebird to reach it. I do play mai ly wooded courses so me actually having the room to go for a big shot is not very often.