Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 26.7
Courses Played: 142
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,030 Times in 450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesethin View Post

If I read it correctly...

A unless the TD has given prior notice that they are NOT offering certain divisions, they MUST allow any division that have 4+ players.

Or differently phrased. A TD can only refuse to offer a division if there are 3 or fewer players or the TD gave prior notice.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Very nice find! I've never seen that since I don't limit divisions.

Thanks for clarifying.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 01-13-2020, 12:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,359 Times in 961 Posts

Because players should be able to ram a division down a TD's throat... my argument would be that the absence of a division on a registration page DOES constitute notice that the division is not offered.

Old 01-13-2020, 06:03 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 39
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 137 Times in 79 Posts

I am just messing around with you. For all of you who think the PDGA is a group of crusty old men, well, you may be right on that note, but they do have our best interest at heart.

I may never join but I understand the need for standards and rules. Thank you for taking the time to do the job that most would not.

I once ran a board as president, nine members plus 43 employees. I hated the place within months and never stepped foot on the country club grounds after that year. I stepped down 6 months into the first year.

The only other job that may be harder then yours is TD at disc golf event, another thankless job. I hear complaints and my response is the the , "why don't you run it next year genius"....

Sorry for pocking fun at you, thank you for the effort as always.

Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
are you referring to 2012 when the touring guys showed up to Cedar Hills Doubles on Tuesday? Or another time?

Old 01-13-2020, 08:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,089 Times in 638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenb View Post
I havenít played a tournament since 2015, but when I was playing menís rec and trying to just cash, it seemed like it was every single tournament. Some new pdga member would play rec and get a score that would have won intermediate or even advanced. Then all the local tournaments made menís rec trophy only to address it, so I could no longer have a goal of trying to cash. So I lost interest in playing menís rec, and I had already gotten pushed into advanced women with my 828 rating. I had no other ladies to compete against locally, and never a menís novice division around here, So no more local tournaments for me.
828 is no where close to an advanced division, male or female. Where the hell are you playing and who is the TD where you can cash as an am in rec or be pushed into an advanced division due to a 828 rating? Seriously...it's been a few years, you may want to check out the local PDGA scene again. wow...
Old 01-13-2020, 10:28 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.8
Courses Played: 367
Niced 1,777 Times in 872 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
828 is no where close to an advanced division, male or female. Where the hell are you playing and who is the TD where you can cash as an am in rec or be pushed into an advanced division due to a 828 rating? Seriously...it's been a few years, you may want to check out the local PDGA scene again. wow...
The cutoff for Am Women is 825. Above that, you can't play Intermediate, only Advanced.

https://www.pdga.com/pdga-documents/...points-factors

Old 01-14-2020, 02:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 89
Niced 50 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
The cutoff for Am Women is 825. Above that, you can't play Intermediate, only Advanced.

At the time, 800 was the cap for womenís intermediate. I was instrumental in getting it raised to 825 and having a womenís novice division added (by posing a rude question to The PDGA President for a podcast) The divisions seemed seriously out of whack especially for women only tournaments, but there were a lot of ladies unhappy with the change.

The 25 point change seemed kind of arbitrary to me. Menís intermediate ratings brake points were selected to straddle the average menís rating, and the break points for the other divisions were based on the standard deviations. Iíd prefer to see something like that done for womenís divisions.

Old 01-14-2020, 08:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,089 Times in 638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post

well ok then... I never realized there were different ratings thresholds for women in am divisions. 825 seems awfully low to force a player into advanced, regardless of gender.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:00 AM
Flippy Flopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
well ok then... I never realized there were different ratings thresholds for women in am divisions. 825 seems awfully low to force a player into advanced, regardless of gender.
850 - 875 golf will cash in most open women events. 825 to not allow someone at intermediate is more than fair.

Old 01-14-2020, 10:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 89
Niced 50 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
850 - 875 golf will cash in most open women events. 825 to not allow someone at intermediate is more than fair.
Cutoff for menís int is 935, and top rated pro man is currently 1060, a 125 point difference.

Cutoff for womenís int is 825, and the top rated pro woman is currently 976, a 151 point difference.

Not a huge discrepancy, and when you take into account the larger ratings spread for women, who knows? Maybe womenís int does straddle the average womenís rating.

At local tournaments though, with no menís novice division and menís rec being trophy only, there was a black hole for women rated 825-850. It was a local problem though, and I think there is now a local TD who is not running menís rec trophy only, so I might start competing again this year if thatís the case.

Old 01-14-2020, 11:03 AM
Flippy Flopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenb View Post
Cutoff for menís int is 935, and top rated pro man is currently 1060, a 125 point difference.

Cutoff for womenís int is 825, and the top rated pro woman is currently 976, a 151 point difference.

Not a huge discrepancy, and when you take into account the larger ratings spread for women, who knows? Maybe womenís int does straddle the average womenís rating.

At local tournaments though, with no menís novice division and menís rec being trophy only, there was a black hole for women rated 825-850. It was a local problem though, and I think there is now a local TD who is not running menís rec trophy only, so I might start competing again this year if thatís the case.
The way to compare isn't how far off the top player in the world is, rather the average score to cash in a division.

I don't have that data but I imagine if a lady averaged 825, she would cash in advanced women around 40 - 50% of the time.