Old 04-07-2014, 01:25 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 62
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Skyline Wilderness Park (Napa, CA)

Am I in the minority when I say this is a horrible course? I played it this past weekend and I don't see why so many people play here. The walk in was horrible, the parking was horrible, the poison oak everywhere, rude people playing behind us, holes not matching where the washer says they are....all around just a bad course.

I have been able to check it off my "wishlist" but I have not placed it on my "wish I didn't play" list.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2014, 02:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.8
Courses Played: 248
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,883 Times in 813 Posts

I cannot side with ya, Fntsy. I thought it was a beautful area, the flora and fauna are unique to a Michigander like me. Wonderful elevation, something again I rarely get to play. I don't mind a walk, that is what drew me to the game. I play in poison ivy all summer, so being on the lookout for oak is second nature and walking a fairway to see the pin is normal for a course I have not played before. Now rude people is very unfortunate, but likely not the norm. Good luck in the quest to find a more suitable course, though.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 201
Niced 8 Times in 4 Posts

I played it once, and really liked it. If you can't handle a little walk or nature, maybe this isn't your sport.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:16 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 250
Niced 31 Times in 22 Posts

I think there's a sale on big boy pants at walmart...
Old 04-07-2014, 03:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 330
Niced 2,685 Times in 1,283 Posts

Playing Devil's Advocate (but never having played this course), try to provide an objective account of your opinions in your eview, without an undue amount of emotion. As long as you say in tyour review supports your rating and is well thought out and presented, it should provide some useful info. Chances are if one person feels that way, so do some others.

A dissenting point of view isn't necessarily wrong, but IMHO, the further from the norm one's point of view is, the greater the need for objectivity and substance in the review.

The key is to find reviewers who have played courses you're familiar with, and share your DG values... then look at their reviews for courses you haven't played to get a guage on whether or not they are you're idea of fun. Maybe others share your values, maybe they don't.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 04-07-2014 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:27 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 43
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Uhh...seriously?

Walk in is beautiful, and gets you warmed up for the hilly round up ahead. You can park on the grass/weeds closer to the trail, or choose to be in the paved parking lot (with some shade) next to the restrooms and practice basket.

There is definitely quite a bit of poison oak out there, but the course is varied and challenging. As for the people, I've played the course probably 70 times and only twice run into rude/drunk people that were distracting. Next time, just take a 20 minute break and enjoy the scenery and let them play through.

Sorry to hear you had a bad round - can happen anywhere. Too bad as I think it's a top notch course.

Tim S.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 330
Niced 2,685 Times in 1,283 Posts

Just read the OP's review: I get that wet conditions have a bigger impact on some courses (particulary those with elevation), but did you even try to imagine how the course would play in nicer conditions? Some cousres are really fun in the right conditions, but miserable in others. Might that be the case here?

Commenting on course vibe based on the people you came across during a single visit seems a bit shortsighted as well. That's kind like saying all BMW drivers are a-holes because one guy driving a BMW cut you off. I think you need a larger sample size before making a statement like that.

Poison Oak is a good point and tangible, but it seems you're making some blanket statements that wouldn't necessarily apply to someone else's visit.

Just my $02. worth...

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 04-07-2014 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:43 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 31
Niced 382 Times in 142 Posts

My only criticism was that the map I printed online wasn't that helpful for a first timer when there wasn't anybody else on the course to follow. I had to go back and play several holes. Other than that, I liked the course a whole lot. Good elevation changes. Beautiful scenery. Wild turkeys gobbling around.

The walk is worth mentioning in a review but, for me, it wasn't so far that I was deterred from playing the course.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:09 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 67 Times in 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fntsygamr View Post
Am I in the minority when I say this is a horrible course? I played it this past weekend and I don't see why so many people play here. The walk in was horrible, the parking was horrible, the poison oak everywhere, rude people playing behind us, holes not matching where the washer says they are....all around just a bad course.

I have been able to check it off my "wishlist" but I have not placed it on my "wish I didn't play" list.
If the walk was horrible, NEVER go to Stafford lake. Mud? One day after a heavy rain? The course is mostly on south facing slopes and has concrete tee's. It dry's off pretty quick. I fail to see an issue. Place your shot's better. Also, rude people happen everywhere but are rarely the norm. Honestly, I would have had a similar review of Aquatic Park if I'd only relied on the first visit. I held back and went back on a weekday when the course was playable and actually liked it in spite of the joggers and the bums. All courses deserve a second chance is all I'm saying. One bad experience does not paint a proper picture.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:47 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 18
Courses Played: 831
Niced 31 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beereakfast View Post
If the walk was horrible, NEVER go to Stafford lake. Mud? One day after a heavy rain? The course is mostly on south facing slopes and has concrete tee's. It dry's off pretty quick. I fail to see an issue. Place your shot's better. Also, rude people happen everywhere but are rarely the norm. Honestly, I would have had a similar review of Aquatic Park if I'd only relied on the first visit. I held back and went back on a weekday when the course was playable and actually liked it in spite of the joggers and the bums. All courses deserve a second chance is all I'm saying. One bad experience does not paint a proper picture.
IMO safety issues like the ones at Aquatic are very different from amenity/vibe issues like the ones the OP brought up about Skyline. The former are serious issues that can and have caused courses to get pulled, and lead to less courteous players causing problems with other park users. The latter are more a matter of taste, they're important to some and not really to others.

I happen to think Skyline is a little overrated, it's a cool fun course but I didn't think it was amazing, but that's for totally different reasons than the ones brought up in this thread.