Old 06-23-2018, 06:33 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 10 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjacko View Post
This came up on my phone from a year ago. It's almost hard to watch. Look how I'm throwing in a massive tail wind so I can feel like I throw really far SMH.
Looked at one of my throws from year ago and all I can think of how lucky I am of finding this site. Brilliant minds are helping us here is all I can say!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2018, 09:51 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 184 Times in 128 Posts

I was at Walmart for an emergency tire replacement and they had A disc for sale; a Dana Vichi Pro Destroyer. I had time to kill so I went out back and threw it a dozen times or so, and it was the first time I think I truly felt 'effortless distance'. I still have a lot of work left, but I think I'm finally understanding what I'm supposed to be doing with the hips. I was throwing what I would call a wraith line (flip up to slight turn, finish straight) 425' out to close to 440'. I couldn't really see myself throwing these distances without a massive flex before this. The other thing I'm trying to incorporate into the routine is visualizing the spot on the teepad where I want the disc to be at the hit. It seems to help me push the disc out the pocket with a slightly more closed posture.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 215
Niced 1,771 Times in 1,149 Posts

Need to take off and land with your spine tilt balanced forward:

Niced: (1)
Old 06-27-2018, 11:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,647 Times in 1,100 Posts

^Get your spine/torso to where your plant is going to be at...anticipate that...then the foot arrives to catch you.

Old 06-28-2018, 02:26 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Need to take off and land with your spine tilt balanced forward:
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
^Get your spine/torso to where your plant is going to be at...anticipate that...then the foot arrives to catch you.
Yeah, that makes a ton of sense. I guess I'm trying to anticipate the tilted spiral in the x-step where I need to lead with the upper body weight above/balanced to help accelerate the weight shift as I shift the hips below.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:08 PM
Eagle Member

I was throwing really well for a few days after the previous video, then like clock work I started pressing too hard and forgetting to hop, and completely lost it. Could hardly get past 375'. Last two days I slowed down, concentrated on staying inside my frame, and ALWAYS remember to hop, and the disc is coming out with heat again. Had 3 throws in a row after an awesome casual round all hit 450' laser measured. Got a quick clip while I was at it. Still need to get better hip rotation and and opening up early, but I'm pretty happy with my form for function right now. My hyzer game has taken off exponentially as well.

Old 07-13-2018, 12:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Still looking back early and off balance leaning behind your rear foot with front foot leading stride instead of balanced inside/leveraged forward and centered with Hershyzer/Buttwipe leading stride while looking forward. Your legs also never crossover.

You end up in really wide stance and too far behind your plant and rising/jumping throughout the plant/swing and spinning out the front foot/hip, instead of landing more upright on plant leg and being compressed against the ground.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:58 AM
* Ace Member *

It's looking very fast in the forward swing in a good way.

With the looking back early stuff, it seems to me that during the X-step and backswing you are acting like the disc weighs nothing. Mirror the forward swing in a way, where you have to turn the torso to move the disc back. Right now you're locking it where you want with your arm position during the X-step then pushing it back to where you want, instead of doing the turn back or tug of war type of thing. You can see in those side by side pics above that Kallstrom is going to turn his torso/body to continue the reachback, whereas you are going to use a lot of disconnected arm motion.

Old 07-13-2018, 04:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
It's looking very fast in the forward swing in a good way.
I disagree with ^ part, for the same reason what you wrote about the disc not being heavy enough, it's too fast and yanking/jerking out of the backswing instead of a slow smooth rhythmic transition from behind and upright on front leg. BJ needs to slow down to accelerate through the hit. His forward swing is over within just a couple frames all same speed. Top throwers forward swing are several frames longer and accelerate each frame.

Force = mass * acceleration. Not Force = mass * speed. There is a big difference between those two concepts. There is no rhythm without smooth acceleration. Rhythm is why slow is smooth and smooth is far. Speed has no rhythm or acceleration and is choppy.

Forward swing should initiate slow like molasses like arm/disc is wet heavy towel and accelerate late through the hit. Stride also needs to accelerate, just like how a pitcher strides, starts really slow stride leading with butt/hips and accelerates late off the mound before planting. Everything goes slow to fast ground up.

Old 07-13-2018, 12:29 PM
* Ace Member *

^Unrelated, he pronates so much through release that it almost looks like he's throwing a screwball.