#241  
Old 05-26-2017, 09:12 PM
BrotherDave's Avatar
BrotherDave BrotherDave is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NC
Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 141
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 13,241
Niced 169 Times in 118 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Howl View Post
Footage never really does a course justice, but maybe more so at Dela. And in person, as Ian said, you can spot the lines.

I love tight courses. They're not as pretty as a manicured golf green or open park, but they're better for the heart of the sport....just maybe not the pocket.

https://youtu.be/2m4zjJvjUUk?t=10m
I suspected as much. I love wooded, tight courses too as a typical Carolinian but a couple of those holes looked like they were just randomly throwing into a canopy of trees and picking up the pieces after lucky or unlucky bounces. I wish the video guys had telestrator technology and could circle the gaps to hit a la Madden on courses like this, would help a lot. I definitely don't like this trend towards open, ball golf style courses just for filming benefits so I'm all for helping technical courses get the respect and accolades they deserve.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #242  
Old 05-27-2017, 07:50 AM
Streets's Avatar
Streets Streets is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 32
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 5,975
Niced 172 Times in 97 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
I definitely don't like this trend towards open, ball golf style courses just for filming benefits so I'm all for helping technical courses get the respect and accolades they deserve.
What? You're not with the watering down of the sport to appeal to a "potential" mass audience?

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #243  
Old 05-27-2017, 02:45 PM
Royalhghnss's Avatar
Royalhghnss Royalhghnss is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Courses Played: 47
Posts: 939
Niced 141 Times in 58 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
I suspected as much. I love wooded, tight courses too as a typical Carolinian but a couple of those holes looked like they were just randomly throwing into a canopy of trees and picking up the pieces after lucky or unlucky bounces. I wish the video guys had telestrator technology and could circle the gaps to hit a la Madden on courses like this, would help a lot. I definitely don't like this trend towards open, ball golf style courses just for filming benefits so I'm all for helping technical courses get the respect and accolades they deserve.
Yeah 12 is probably the worst hole on the course, and it's exactly like you describe.

This seems kinda counter intuitive, but golf courses are actually harder to film than wooded ones. On a golf course the can take any line, and go high in the sky. The push to move to golf courses is all about getting more spectators on the course.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #244  
Old 05-27-2017, 03:57 PM
Orioles_Lefty Orioles_Lefty is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 25
Niced 15 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Really enjoyed watching the FPO round 2 on DeLa. Provided a better sense of the different lines on the course. Was interesting to see 3-4 different styles of play. Paige is clearly the most well-rounded player; would like to see her play MPO on the right course. Jennifer played a lot of the same lines as Paige but w/o the overall tee-to-green skill. I was not familiar with Madison. She lacks some distance, but man she had some touch up shots. Seemed clear Val is still figuring out her new discs. She needs a few to beat in quicker, as the talking heads said. She nailed a few putts, complete with her "always surprised with the result" reaction.

Great commentary by Ian and Jamie. Thought you guys did a good job of highlighting the skills the women bring to the game with thoughts on thee different approaches they were taking.

Is R3 on the golf course? Can't think FPO will play well on that course, but what do I know?
Reply With Quote
  #245  
Old 05-27-2017, 04:19 PM
SD86's Avatar
SD86 SD86 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Atlanta, GA
Courses Played: 8
Posts: 4,538
Niced 256 Times in 215 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalhghnss View Post
The push to move to golf courses is all about getting more spectators on the course.
I don't disagree, though I think part of it is allowing the real power players to throw long, long throws in front of those spectators.

The problem with it is that I've heard a number of people tell me in person, not to mention a number of posts on these and other boards, that the open game of golf course layouts is "boring". And I think they have an excellent point when they say that...

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
 

  #246  
Old 05-27-2017, 06:45 PM
lyleoross lyleoross is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Years Playing: 21.4
Courses Played: 2
Posts: 2,640
Niced 185 Times in 137 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalhghnss View Post
Yeah 12 is probably the worst hole on the course, and it's exactly like you describe.

This seems kinda counter intuitive, but golf courses are actually harder to film than wooded ones. On a golf course the can take any line, and go high in the sky. The push to move to golf courses is all about getting more spectators on the course.
At least two posters, in the bowels of DGCR, have suggested they are looking at ways to handle both filming and spectators on wooded builds they're considering.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.