Old 05-26-2017, 09:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 141
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 169 Times in 118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Howl View Post
Footage never really does a course justice, but maybe more so at Dela. And in person, as Ian said, you can spot the lines.

I love tight courses. They're not as pretty as a manicured golf green or open park, but they're better for the heart of the sport....just maybe not the pocket.

https://youtu.be/2m4zjJvjUUk?t=10m
I suspected as much. I love wooded, tight courses too as a typical Carolinian but a couple of those holes looked like they were just randomly throwing into a canopy of trees and picking up the pieces after lucky or unlucky bounces. I wish the video guys had telestrator technology and could circle the gaps to hit a la Madden on courses like this, would help a lot. I definitely don't like this trend towards open, ball golf style courses just for filming benefits so I'm all for helping technical courses get the respect and accolades they deserve.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 05-27-2017, 07:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 32
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 172 Times in 97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
I definitely don't like this trend towards open, ball golf style courses just for filming benefits so I'm all for helping technical courses get the respect and accolades they deserve.
What? You're not with the watering down of the sport to appeal to a "potential" mass audience?

Old 05-27-2017, 02:45 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 47
Niced 141 Times in 58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
I suspected as much. I love wooded, tight courses too as a typical Carolinian but a couple of those holes looked like they were just randomly throwing into a canopy of trees and picking up the pieces after lucky or unlucky bounces. I wish the video guys had telestrator technology and could circle the gaps to hit a la Madden on courses like this, would help a lot. I definitely don't like this trend towards open, ball golf style courses just for filming benefits so I'm all for helping technical courses get the respect and accolades they deserve.
Yeah 12 is probably the worst hole on the course, and it's exactly like you describe.

This seems kinda counter intuitive, but golf courses are actually harder to film than wooded ones. On a golf course the can take any line, and go high in the sky. The push to move to golf courses is all about getting more spectators on the course.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-27-2017, 03:57 PM

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 15 Times in 6 Posts

Really enjoyed watching the FPO round 2 on DeLa. Provided a better sense of the different lines on the course. Was interesting to see 3-4 different styles of play. Paige is clearly the most well-rounded player; would like to see her play MPO on the right course. Jennifer played a lot of the same lines as Paige but w/o the overall tee-to-green skill. I was not familiar with Madison. She lacks some distance, but man she had some touch up shots. Seemed clear Val is still figuring out her new discs. She needs a few to beat in quicker, as the talking heads said. She nailed a few putts, complete with her "always surprised with the result" reaction.

Great commentary by Ian and Jamie. Thought you guys did a good job of highlighting the skills the women bring to the game with thoughts on thee different approaches they were taking.

Is R3 on the golf course? Can't think FPO will play well on that course, but what do I know?
Old 05-27-2017, 04:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 8
Niced 256 Times in 215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalhghnss View Post
The push to move to golf courses is all about getting more spectators on the course.
I don't disagree, though I think part of it is allowing the real power players to throw long, long throws in front of those spectators.

The problem with it is that I've heard a number of people tell me in person, not to mention a number of posts on these and other boards, that the open game of golf course layouts is "boring". And I think they have an excellent point when they say that...

Old 05-27-2017, 06:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.4
Courses Played: 2
Niced 185 Times in 137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalhghnss View Post
Yeah 12 is probably the worst hole on the course, and it's exactly like you describe.

This seems kinda counter intuitive, but golf courses are actually harder to film than wooded ones. On a golf course the can take any line, and go high in the sky. The push to move to golf courses is all about getting more spectators on the course.
At least two posters, in the bowels of DGCR, have suggested they are looking at ways to handle both filming and spectators on wooded builds they're considering.

Niced: (1)