Old 12-07-2018, 03:41 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 24 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvphobic View Post
The names make no sense, which is why the flight numbers can help out newer players. But even then you need to learn what "glide, fade, & turn" are. But it is no different than any other sport's jargon
Which is why I picked Discraft when i started. 4 numbers didnt understand, one number great. All of my friends that day were picking cool animal stamps and i thought the numbers would give me an advantage. Which is how i ended up with an X-Clone and OAT.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 12-07-2018, 04:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 133
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,404 Times in 423 Posts

Quote:
I think this is because there isn't a solid "convention" like Discmania & Prodigy. I can't imagine coming into the sport and trying to figure out Innova's or Discraft's discs at this point. How is a Leopard different than a Cheetah? Thunderbird vs T-bird vs Destroyer? Firebird & Ape? The names make no sense, which is why the flight numbers can help out newer players. But even then you need to learn what "glide, fade, & turn" are. But it is no different than any other sport's jargon.

What bothers me MOST is that Innova used to be the company with the animal names, then they started getting into mythical creatures (Ok, I guess)... BUT then they added things like Destroyer, Mirage, Wedge, Dart, TL, & Dominator. COME ON INNOVA. Stop messing with me. Pick a scheme.
Yeah, just in a weird way Innova's naming "feels" right - now that completely may be a function of them being the biggest and OG beveled edge company...

...but at the same time the irony is that Dynamic clearly does have a system, it just takes some thought, it doesn't come immediately.

"Lucid" plastic actually is a great moniker based on the definition of the word, but its connotations make my brain go other places and it doesn't connect.

Same with "BioFuzion" - Ok "fusing" and "biology" - I guess I can eventually get "recycled plastic" out of that - but it's just not the first things my brain puts together.

File this under "technically correct, but not as marketable".

Marketing is a fickle thing - I understand "Champion" and "Star" plastic connotations in relation to sports performance better than the concepts that use dictionary definitions.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 2,055 Times in 487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
Yeah, just in a weird way Innova's naming "feels" right - now that completely may be a function of them being the biggest and OG beveled edge company...

...but at the same time the irony is that Dynamic clearly does have a system, it just takes some thought, it doesn't come immediately.

"Lucid" plastic actually is a great moniker based on the definition of the word, but its connotations make my brain go other places and it doesn't connect.

Same with "BioFuzion" - Ok "fusing" and "biology" - I guess I can eventually get "recycled plastic" out of that - but it's just not the first things my brain puts together.

Marketing is a fickle thing - I understand "Champion" and "Star" plastic connotations in relation to sports performance better than the concepts that use dictionary definitions.
Jamie, I am with you, but I honestly think that is something in OUR head. Our disc knowledge space is getting full. Because you are right that I seem to have no problem with most of Innova & Discraft's lineup.

But if you think about it, Star & Champion don't really MEAN anything. You wouldn't know which was better by just hearing it.

We are just set in our ways, old men.

Old 12-07-2018, 06:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 682 Times in 331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefKoolaid View Post
Go to literally any Kroger. Seen in Cleve, Cbus, Dayton, and Cincy
Literally any Kroger? As opposed to illiterately?

I don't shop at Kroger, it creeps me out.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:51 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 65
Niced 686 Times in 328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecoin View Post
Literally any Kroger? As opposed to illiterately?

I don't shop at Kroger, it creeps me out.
Is this guy why?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg iigvckI.jpg (115.0 KB, 75 views)

Old 12-07-2018, 07:03 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 74
Niced 1,506 Times in 368 Posts

Per a post on her FB page, Cynthia Ricciotti is re-upping with DD for 2019.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 67
Niced 682 Times in 331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.Luke View Post
Is this guy why?
No, I don't know that guy, never seen him.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 34
Niced 346 Times in 218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post

Quote:
Jamie, I am with you, but I honestly think that is something in OUR head. Our disc knowledge space is getting full. Because you are right that I seem to have no problem with most of Innova & Discraft's lineup.

But if you think about it, Star & Champion don't really MEAN anything. You wouldn't know which was better by just hearing it.

We are just set in our ways, old men.
Exactly, especially when they have a Pro plastic, that isn't the best? And then throw in DX, XT and then Gstar? Talk about a curve ball lol

Dynamic makes just as much sense or not as the others I suppose... but at least they have a naming scheme that they've stuck to.

Niced: (3)
Old 12-07-2018, 07:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 133
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,404 Times in 423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by @iDiscGolf View Post
Exactly, especially when they have a Pro plastic, that isn't the best? And then throw in DX, XT and then Gstar? Talk about a curve ball lol

Dynamic makes just as much sense or not as the others I suppose... but at least they have a naming scheme that they've stuck to.
Caveat again that we're all biased in terms of familiarity by how the market was born and how it evolved, but I can make sense of Pro, Champion, Star in connection with the price points. I just think about people.

"Not all pros are champions, and not all champions are stars. The most expensive is the hardest label to attain."

Old 12-07-2018, 07:40 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 73
Niced 34 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B The V View Post
Drew Gibson posted about heading down to Nashville for something that will change his life. Does Innova have him under contract next year? Might be headed to Prodigy???
Also, nothing that goes on a hotdog is as gross as what is in a hotdog, but lets not talk about that.
He’s supposed to be coming out with some kind of training tool that automatically adds the training lines to show if you’re in the correct position in different phases of your throw. Something like that, he’s been alluding to it on Instagram for a little bit. Maybe he’ll be joining on disc golf instruction with Will.