Old 12-01-2018, 11:11 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 579 Times in 362 Posts

-Good, thick wool socks. My feet stay really warm, even in weather below 20 degrees.
-Base layer gear. I buy the cheap stuff for long underwear (CostCo brand, or Champion brand from Target if you don't know anyone with a CostCo membership) and good hearty stuff for upper body. This allows me to wear a less bulky jacket, which in turn means my throwing mobility is less restricted.
-Lots of microfiber towels.
-One glove, Michael Jackson style, with a handwarmer inside. It goes on the left (off) hand when throwing and on the right (throwing) hand between shots.
-And the obvious stuff...wind-resistant jacket, hat, neck gaiter that can cover your mouth, etc
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2018, 06:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 726 Times in 508 Posts

This is a pretty cool thread. If I may expand it a bit, I played my first tournament today (Dec. 1) now it was expected to be unseasonably warm. It wasn't. It was 42 and raining. I brought a zip lock with extra towels, rain jacket, waterproof boots (proved futile) extra pair of socks for round two (TD and all players decided one round would be sufficient) and my winter golf pants that are essentially just outdoorsy stretch fabric "hiker's" pants. I realized today that I need to find some sort of universal rainfly (my bag doesn't have one) or maybe a different bag for tourney play in rain something small IDK. umbrella wasn't enough today. Anyway, he do you prep for tournament play in the rain? Tips and tricks?
Old 12-01-2018, 07:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.4
Courses Played: 152
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,975 Times in 1,639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippenripp View Post
This is a pretty cool thread. If I may expand it a bit, I played my first tournament today (Dec. 1) now it was expected to be unseasonably warm. It wasn't. It was 42 and raining. I brought a zip lock with extra towels, rain jacket, waterproof boots (proved futile) extra pair of socks for round two (TD and all players decided one round would be sufficient) and my winter golf pants that are essentially just outdoorsy stretch fabric "hiker's" pants. I realized today that I need to find some sort of universal rainfly (my bag doesn't have one) or maybe a different bag for tourney play in rain something small IDK. umbrella wasn't enough today. Anyway, he do you prep for tournament play in the rain? Tips and tricks?
There aren't a whole lot more ways to prep for a 42 and rainy tournament and come out happy on the other side. That's simply the most miserable conditions to play in. Honestly, I'd rather it be 15 degrees colder so that the rain comes down as snow instead. Snow won't soak you through quite as fast.

A rainfly of some sort to keep your bag/discs drier longer would help. Beyond that, I'm not sure what more you could do if you've got a good rain jacket and lots of towels. Maybe waterproof pants of some sort? Maybe gaiters to keep water out of the top of your boots (which is probably why they proved futile).

Sometimes the best way to get through a round like that is to abandon all efforts to keep your hands and discs dry and just get accustomed to throwing everything wet. For that, you need to stick to more base plastics for grip. I played a tourney years ago in which it poured down rain all day. Plus side was it was in June so not cold but it was wet as hell. The guy who won (and won big) tossed his bag into his car after attempting some warm-up holes and played the whole day with just a DX Roc, DX Aviar, and a mini. No towels, no umbrella, just played everything wet. He might have lost a little distance on the longer holes but he was always in control and in the fairway.

Niced: (3)
Old 12-01-2018, 07:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
There aren't a whole lot more ways to prep for a 42 and rainy tournament and come out happy on the other side. That's simply the most miserable conditions to play in. Honestly, I'd rather it be 15 degrees colder so that the rain comes down as snow instead. Snow won't soak you through quite as fast.

A rainfly of some sort to keep your bag/discs drier longer would help. Beyond that, I'm not sure what more you could do if you've got a good rain jacket and lots of towels. Maybe waterproof pants of some sort? Maybe gaiters to keep water out of the top of your boots (which is probably why they proved futile).

Sometimes the best way to get through a round like that is to abandon all efforts to keep your hands and discs dry and just get accustomed to throwing everything wet. For that, you need to stick to more base plastics for grip. I played a tourney years ago in which it poured down rain all day. Plus side was it was in June so not cold but it was wet as hell. The guy who won (and won big) tossed his bag into his car after attempting some warm-up holes and played the whole day with just a DX Roc, DX Aviar, and a mini. No towels, no umbrella, just played everything wet. He might have lost a little distance on the longer holes but he was always in control and in the fairway.
Was reaching for baseline all day and you're correct about the boots it was raining into the top of them. My partner and I still came out in a 3way the for first with some funny munny to spend at the local shop. Was fun when in a looking back sense, kinda miserable getting through it.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:21 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 32
Courses Played: 68
Niced 20 Times in 11 Posts

Pant leg goes on the outside of the boots. Stops rain and snow from getting in. Best setup is taller boots with pants that are tight around them. You could probably use a tie or something to make that happen. I've gone hiking for hours in -15deg in 1-3' of snow with completely dry, warm feet. (after that, DG is a breeze) And no wool socks needed with good boots. Not that wool socks aren't a better idea. My boots are Keen insulated steel toe/shank, but some lighter winter boots would be good, too. My family is starting to try out Baffin, great winter boots.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37
Courses Played: 248
Niced 2,864 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post

Terrific post. I use a golf set of rain gear, pants and jacket. Not water resistant, water proof. Bolded a couple fantastic points above. Sometimes all the effort of managing a rainfly, towels, umbrella....just become a distraction in tournament play.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:45 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 222 Times in 107 Posts

I have a Fade bag (duffle bag style) and if you get the shoulder straps they have a built in rain fly that covers your bag nicely. You can put extra towels on top of your discs.

A cart with an umbrella holder attachment and stuff the saddle bags full of towels. Also a rain fly for the putter pouch. I can even fit a light rain coat in the saddle bags with towels.

Put a clip on an umbrella "arm" towards the center and attach a towel. The towel stays dry cuz it's right under the umbrella.

Wear long socks with long pants. The socks can stay dry, especially in snow.

Ziploc bags for phone/wallet/keys.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Terrific post. I use a golf set of rain gear, pants and jacket. Not water resistant, water proof. Bolded a couple fantastic points above. Sometimes all the effort of managing a rainfly, towels, umbrella....just become a distraction in tournament play.
Yep. It's true LOL. today was my first tournament and I prepped my bag to deal with everything I could think of, but the kind of rain today was unstoppable (unless you have a Cart with umbrella and all that) good point about the pants on the outside as well.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-09-2018, 07:47 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 16 Times in 9 Posts

Any thoughts on Friction gloves for winter play? I have not used them, but seems to me they would be better than exposed skin in cold temps.

I love all of the other tips, I plan on adding a few to my winter game. I have always layered up and used a handwamer (Eyeing the zippo ones mention before) in my throwing hand glove, that I take off and hold in my left hand as I throw.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:22 PM
Par Member

Niced 207 Times in 108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by simes549 View Post
Any thoughts on Friction gloves for winter play? I have not used them, but seems to me they would be better than exposed skin in cold temps.

I love all of the other tips, I plan on adding a few to my winter game. I have always layered up and used a handwamer (Eyeing the zippo ones mention before) in my throwing hand glove, that I take off and hold in my left hand as I throw.
Those friction gloves are more for playing in heavy rain. They are very thin and don't offer any warmth, which is fine because I don't think they are designed to keep hands warm, more designed for rain play.

I've seen a few people play very well with one of those gloves on. I'd imagine it's a matter of a lot of practice and really breaking and wearing them in similar to a baseball glove.