Old 09-24-2019, 10:53 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 48.4
Courses Played: 60
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 390 Times in 215 Posts

Debbie Downering...
Seems like if goal is for consistency of the workout incorporating running along with field work in a large open field would be more sensible. Not looking errant throws, not needing to gauge at a run what other players are doing or where they are, clean and clear ground to run on., ect
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2019, 01:19 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17
Courses Played: 103
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 358 Times in 170 Posts

or this http://www.wfdf.org/sports/discathon

Niced: (1)
Old 09-24-2019, 02:07 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 42
Courses Played: 150
Niced 90 Times in 48 Posts

I used to discathon my way around the course pre-round before tourneys. It was a great way to wake up and get my mind and body sharp. I was also playing elite-level Ultimate, so I was in great shape. If I tried to do it now...heart attack city.

Gregg Hosfeld is/was probably the king of running thru disc golf courses. He would time his rounds.
Old 09-24-2019, 03:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 148
Niced 314 Times in 184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodosaurus View Post
On a busy course, speed golfers can be annoying. Last year I was playing an 18-hole course, you had to wait on almost every hole for the previous group to finish. They weren't particularly slow, it was just stacked. A speed golfer came through and passed us 4 times. He ended up slowing everyone down. Maybe once would have been fine, and maybe it was because of the stress of an already slow game. But I'd suggest only playing speed golf when the course is at least moving.

That said, I've played a few times. Because of the previous incident, I'm now a bit self conscious when I ask to play through.
I've done a lot of it over the years - definitely a morning golf activity.
Old 09-24-2019, 03:14 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 75
Niced 33 Times in 17 Posts

I do this every now and then. I take a buzzz and tuck a towel in my shorts if its a little wet. I try to play courses that are over 5400 feet of golf distance, ensuring I will run at least a mile and a half in 18 holes. I don't really worry about the time, only that I stay at a good pace and never walk, only take breaks to throw. It's fun and has really helped my buzzz game. I have added 10% to my distance and definitely improved my shot shaping and accuracy.
Old 09-24-2019, 03:16 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 75
Niced 33 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDSM View Post
Debbie Downering...
Seems like if goal is for consistency of the workout incorporating running along with field work in a large open field would be more sensible. Not looking errant throws, not needing to gauge at a run what other players are doing or where they are, clean and clear ground to run on., ect
the whole point of doing this is to combine a fun activity (playing a round of disc golf) with what most consider a boring and tedious activity (cardio) in order to get the best of both worlds. I do pick courses that are advantageous for this style (not crowded, open, not much trouble, long)
Old 09-25-2019, 07:08 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,509 Times in 1,013 Posts

Trey Hamlet (kachtz on here) is the king of the running round. Most recent was the Hawk Hollow USWDGC layout in 25 minutes shooting a 51 (1060-ish golf). His 2 disc running rounds probably average about 30 points higher than his tournament rounds.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,387 Times in 682 Posts

I don't run but I've tried my hand at 'speed golf'. Basically get loose and ready to throw, and play a short course. I was able to manage -15 in 44 minutes on a short course. It's pretty fun, it makes you either focus on playing better, or playing faster. Of course, when I go try this, the course is typically fairly slow.

I'd like to do this more often, but would likely get better actual workout results if I could run (my left knee is wrecked, long story but I don't run anymore) or add other things into it. At that point though, I'd rather just go work out!
Old 09-25-2019, 08:43 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 85
Niced 15 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HmRnKngJC25 View Post
How can you measure success? Does running faster out weigh scoring lower?
Why not count every 30 seconds as another stroke since that is the PDGA-prescribed duration in which to complete a throw? Say you focus on the golf rather than speed and shoot a 50 in 30 minutes, "score" is then 110. Same course the next day really focusing on speed, shoot a 60 in 25 minutes to "score" another 110.

Old 09-25-2019, 09:01 AM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 175
Niced 797 Times in 370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemilemore View Post
http://rattlingchains.com/?p=602

Add some pushups in for missed putts!
Ive been messing with adding in burpees to my normal round on the finishing holes to help simulate pressure at the end of a tournament round. I few burpees to spike the heart rate before all shots to simulate nerves. No clue if its working or not since I probably wont get to play another tournament round til 2020.