Old 02-07-2020, 07:20 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 0.7
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 167 Times in 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
I've watched a couple of these Brodie videos finally with Paul and Hanna. He's really not as annoying as some folks are making him out to be. There are guys that show up to my leagues that are WAY more annoying than that and plus it just seems like he's just relaxed and having fun with the game.
Did you see the one from months ago when he plays with Simon and Paul? It's night and day. He was putting on quite an annoying "bro" performance before, whereas now he seems much more reasonable.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2020, 07:56 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 220 Times in 117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan P. View Post
...So the disc clearly isn't included (as it couldn't be defined as a part of the player's body unlike clothing or shoes could be considered a part of it, and even if it could, you'd have to show in that situation that the person was using the basket to support their weight).
Paul is wrong, but not by your reasoning. Todl gives the right reasoning in #543.

In the scenario being discussed the disc isn't considered a supporting point, it is considered an object that provides support. See bolded bit below.

Quote:
A supporting point is any part of the player's body that is, at the time of release, in contact with the playing surface or any other object that provides support.
The disc isn't part of the player, it is just an object that provides support. But it doesn't matter, because as Tod says, it isn't providing support at the point of release so is irrelevant.

And also, it doesn't matter how much weight you are putting through a supporting point, if you are in contact with it, it is providing support.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2020, 07:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 88
Niced 2,085 Times in 838 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco40 View Post
Did you see the one from months ago when he plays with Simon and Paul? It's night and day. He was putting on quite an annoying "bro" performance before, whereas now he seems much more reasonable.
I haven't but I'll bet that people like Paul told him to tone it down a notch or three. Probably was told something like, "Hey that stuff might have worked with your ultimate crowd but it isn't going to work with DG." He might be annoying to some but he isn't stupid.

Old 02-08-2020, 12:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,246 Times in 711 Posts

Really starting to wonder what disc golf content he'll have once the season starts?

Niced: (1)
Old 02-08-2020, 09:41 AM
Par Member

Niced 206 Times in 107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
He is very productive, two videos in 18h . . .more videos in a week than most discgolf pros makes in a year
Brodie on his own has more Youtube views than the entire Jomez, Central Coast, and Disc Golf guy catalog combined. Go ahead and add in any of the other production companies like Spin TV, Gatekeeper, Prodigy as well.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 60
Niced 86 Times in 53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesethin View Post
The disc isn't part of the player, it is just an object that provides support. But it doesn't matter, because as Tod says, it isn't providing support at the point of release so is irrelevant.

And also, it doesn't matter how much weight you are putting through a supporting point, if you are in contact with it, it is providing support.
Fair, I didn't consider it to be a "supporting point"

However, in your second paragraph above, I'm not sure I agree. You're describing a "contacting point". Why wouldn't the rules say that instead of supporting point? A supporting point would, by definition, be a point that supports. Can you clarify?
Old 02-08-2020, 01:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24
Courses Played: 150
Niced 479 Times in 219 Posts

Quote:

However, in your second paragraph above, I'm not sure I agree. You're describing a "contacting point". Why wouldn't the rules say that instead of supporting point? A supporting point would, by definition, be a point that supports. Can you clarify?
Supporting Point is defined in 802.04.B: A supporting point is any part of the player's body that is, at the time of release, in contact with the playing surface or any other object that provides support.

Objects that provide support: the ground, a tree, a rock, the basket.
Objects that don't provide support: tall grass, leaves, spiderwebs.

If you are making contact with an object that provides (or, essentially is capable of providing) support, then it's a supporting point. I'd extend that to secondary contact as well - that is, if you're holding an object, and that object is touching something that provides support. That could be you leaning on a crutch that's supported on the ground, or holding a stick that's touching the ground, or holding a disc that's touching the basket.

What does not count as a supporting point is if your arm makes incidental contact with weeds, tall grass, or leaves as you're swinging your arm.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 870 Times in 458 Posts

To me its like putting an UFC fighter in a ring with a boxer... and tell him hes gotta box. No matter how much you train him for boxing, hes got boxers to beat.

Will be interesting to see for sure.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:25 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 220 Times in 117 Posts

Quote:

Toddl has covered most of what I was going to say. But a couple of further or clarifying points.

The definition of a supporting point actually uses the word contact:
Quote:
A supporting point is any part of the player's body that is, at the time of release, in contact with the playing surface or any other object that provides support.
'Providing support' is only used in the second clause of the sentence in relation to ' any other object...'.

And the Q&A section users the same language:

Quote:
QA-TEE-2: I threw my drive off a raised concrete tee pad. When I let go, the front of my foot was hanging off the front edge of the pad. Was that a stance violation?

No. The rule states that all supporting points must be within the teeing area at the time of release. “Supporting point” refers to any point on the player that is in contact with the playing surface (in this case the tee pad), rather than to a complete body part such as a foot. The part of the foot that is hanging off the end is not a supporting point because it is not in contact with the playing surface, so no violation has occurred.
Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Old 02-08-2020, 11:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 60
Niced 86 Times in 53 Posts

Thanks guys. I see what you're saying, and at the same time, I wish the rules were clearer. "that provides support" is vague, both in the meaning of the phrase and the construction of the sentence.