#3091  
Old 03-05-2020, 09:47 PM
ThrowaEnvy's Avatar
ThrowaEnvy ThrowaEnvy is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pender Is. B.C.
Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 5
Posts: 2,588
Niced 1,025 Times in 697 Posts
Default

Yeah it's kind of sad how people have missed out... round here noone touches mids , mostly drivers at 200' holes haha.. Oooh that rim doesn't feel as nice, that's weird.. I like something smoother.. And thinner..

TBH though until DGCR I had no idea either.. Had 50 discs before I got a Comet.. And got better.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #3092  
Old 03-06-2020, 06:43 AM
warmuth warmuth is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 34
Niced 27 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy View Post
Yeah it's kind of sad how people have missed out... round here noone touches mids , mostly drivers at 200' holes haha.. Oooh that rim doesn't feel as nice, that's weird.. I like something smoother.. And thinner..

TBH though until DGCR I had no idea either.. Had 50 discs before I got a Comet.. And got better.
So true. The majority of people I end up playing with throw anny flex drivers on every shot that isnt a putt.
Reply With Quote
  #3093  
Old 03-06-2020, 09:00 AM
Three Putt's Avatar
Three Putt Three Putt is offline
*Super Moderator*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rolla, MO.
Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 136
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 9,614
Niced 3,248 Times in 1,167 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmuth View Post
Im always amazed how many people dont know about comets. Its one of the three types of discs I throw that people always ask wtf is that?
We have a college here and all the time I end up trying to talk the college kids out of selling a Comet/Roc/whatever that they tried for a day and didn't like. It the whole "Be patient, learn how to throw backhand, go back to them in a year and work with them" speech. Left on their own, I think that entire crew of 40 guys would just flick PDs and Destroyers for the rest of their lives.

In a lot of ways I'm glad I leaned to play when there were so few options. I remember not liking deep putters and trying to avoid the Aviar like the plague when I started, but there were so few other options that I ended up sucking it up and learning to throw an Aviar. Now I never notice if a disc feels deep; it's not an issue. Players today have 50 kajillion shallow putters on the market to help they avoid learning to deal with disc with a deep grip, so there are going to be a lot of really great discs that they are never going to try.

I have a friend that I talked into buying an LE Comet back in the day, he tried to sell it to me after a few weeks. When I asked why, he gave me the "I don't know, it feels icky" song and dance. I went Red Forman on him and told him to put his big boy pants on, suck it up and throw the damn Comet. A couple of months later it was his Facebook profile picture when he aced with it.

tl;dr: People need more Red Forman in their lives.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #3094  
Old 03-06-2020, 12:14 PM
ILUVSMGS18 ILUVSMGS18 is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Keeseville, NY
Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 12
Posts: 1,843
Niced 530 Times in 374 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
We have a college here and all the time I end up trying to talk the college kids out of selling a Comet/Roc/whatever that they tried for a day and didn't like. It the whole "Be patient, learn how to throw backhand, go back to them in a year and work with them" speech. Left on their own, I think that entire crew of 40 guys would just flick PDs and Destroyers for the rest of their lives.

I have a friend that I talked into buying an LE Comet back in the day, he tried to sell it to me after a few weeks. When I asked why, he gave me the "I don't know, it feels icky" song and dance. I went Red Forman on him and told him to put his big boy pants on, suck it up and throw the damn Comet. A couple of months later it was his Facebook profile picture when he aced with it.

tl;dr: People need more Red Forman in their lives.
As a college kid myself, who quite closely resembles Eric Forman, I couldn't agree more that the world right now needs infinitely more Red everywhere.

Reply With Quote
  #3095  
Old 03-07-2020, 08:04 AM
Buiscutboy's Avatar
Buiscutboy Buiscutboy is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Da UP
Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 35
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 1,297
Niced 74 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmuth View Post
Im always amazed how many people dont know about comets. Its one of the three types of discs I throw that people always ask wtf is that?
How strange. People usually just say, "wtf how did you get all the way over there?" When I throw.
Reply With Quote
  #3096  
Old 03-07-2020, 10:00 PM
ILUVSMGS18 ILUVSMGS18 is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Keeseville, NY
Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 12
Posts: 1,843
Niced 530 Times in 374 Posts
Default

Threw my beat Elite-X Comet on a downhill hole that is almost a 90 bend to the basket at the bottom of the hill. I ended up 50' or so past the pin and missed the putt.

Reply With Quote
  #3097  
Old 03-08-2020, 01:53 AM
mcodyclapp's Avatar
mcodyclapp mcodyclapp is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 190
Niced 78 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Picked up an X and a 2019 MJ the other day. They bookend my ESP and Big Z perfectly, and now I have a full spectrum of Comet flights.

Played a Comet(s) only round right after buying them, still putting with my P2s for the sake of getting good putting practice in. Tied my personal best score on the course, granted there were no par 4 pin placements in. So glad I finally decided to try this mold out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Reply With Quote
  #3098  
Old 03-08-2020, 05:18 PM
tirepizza's Avatar
tirepizza tirepizza is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wilmington, NC
Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 313
Niced 66 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcodyclapp View Post
Picked up an X and a 2019 MJ the other day. They bookend my ESP and Big Z perfectly, and now I have a full spectrum of Comet flights.

Played a Comet(s) only round right after buying them, still putting with my P2s for the sake of getting good putting practice in. Tied my personal best score on the course, granted there were no par 4 pin placements in. So glad I finally decided to try this mold out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
The last new x comet I had was pretty stable (read: finished with fade) for a comet. I have a lot of comets and none ever started "beefy" like that. It was more of a roc ish flight. I gave it to my dad. That being said, I'm sure it'll beat into a nice comet eventually, he hits a lot of trees.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #3099  
Old 03-08-2020, 06:20 PM
SpikeHyzer SpikeHyzer is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In my cubicle...
Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 101
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 995
Niced 233 Times in 109 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirepizza View Post
The last new x comet I had was pretty stable (read: finished with fade) for a comet. I have a lot of comets and none ever started "beefy" like that. It was more of a roc ish flight. I gave it to my dad. That being said, I'm sure it'll beat into a nice comet eventually, he hits a lot of trees.


Ive found a lot of the new runs of comets have the high shoulder, a little more dome and some extra stability. Even the new Xs have decent stability...I mean for an X-Comet.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
 

  #3100  
Old 03-08-2020, 07:02 PM
ThrowaEnvy's Avatar
ThrowaEnvy ThrowaEnvy is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pender Is. B.C.
Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 5
Posts: 2,588
Niced 1,025 Times in 697 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeHyzer View Post
I’ve found a lot of the new runs of comets have the high shoulder, a little more dome and some extra stability. Even the new X’s have decent stability...I mean for an X-Comet.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You know I was just flipping open my phone to see what was new in the Comet thread... and I thought:

"Damn I need more Comet's, I don't know why, I don't know which Comet I will throw today... Hey where's that pink 180 Z? Where's my ESP LE red 176 it should be time for that to get back in the bag... hmmm maybe it's " meatball" day. 172 style... maybe go retro with 174 clear Z, or 176 blue, the first and second Comet's I bought"....

.. And just like that you cured me. Thanks!

.. I still am not sure which one to throw, I better take two.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Ask MJ & Comet Love Thread dusty5150 General Disc Golf Chat 3484 05-22-2020 11:42 AM
COMET LOVE! fullnelson The Marketplace 4 01-30-2016 01:47 PM
Discs you used to bag and love, but then you switched and found a new love ;) ThomasOrion Discs 115 10-01-2015 01:34 PM
LOVE THE ESP COMET!!!! dkoz Discs 1 05-23-2011 10:33 AM
Love my comet, would a Roadrunner be a good choice? RoundWounds Discs 21 05-07-2011 01:44 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.