Old 03-10-2020, 12:26 PM
Par Member

Niced 206 Times in 107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan P. View Post
While I want DG to remain kid/family friendly, I don't think we should do it because the Youtube algorithm encourages it. You may or may not be saying that. I'm being clear that DG doesn't need to cater to a computer's logic, and shouldn't.

If the sport grows, it grows. If it doesn't, it doesn't. I don't let computers decide how I live.
It's not the computer's logic. It's culture first, computational logic following that. Youtube is merely following the cultural trend. Everyone knows YouTube is the TV of the future, that's obvious at this point. Cable is dying a slow death as we speak.

If you want a channel that is profitable on that network, you'd best be served making family friendly content or YouTube will bury you into obscurity. We are already seeing that with independent content producers getting their channels yanked off with even the slightest amount of politically incorrect/controversial content. There is no reason for professional Disc Golf to even tread into those waters.

Notice I said professional, and profitable.
There is plenty of room available for independent discgolf content creators to venture into politically incorrect and/or controversial content. Just don't expect it to be monetized in any significant way, or expect to get any support from the major manufacturers or sponsors.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 03-10-2020, 02:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,246 Times in 711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizunodave View Post
You believe "Brodie's Smith's 1st round of Disc Golf (18 holes)" from 3 weeks ago and currently at 167k views is going to go up to 500k views?
maybe...but not anytime soon. Back in Brodies heyday he would get 500-800k-1mil views in a matter of days, weeks. His active viewing base (not his subscriber base) seems to be much smaller, probably due to him branching out and trying the bro thing, the ball golf thing, etc. (I subscribe to a few channels than have similar subscriber numbers and they get way higher views early on.)

I think he realized he would have a better chance at being a big fish in the disc golf world compared to being a much smaller fish in the ball golf world. Time and money (and getting married recently), will tell if he stays in the sport long term.
Old 03-10-2020, 02:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 31
Niced 1,300 Times in 698 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wims View Post
It makes sense, but it's still weird
This statement doesn't make sense, but I agree.
Old 03-10-2020, 03:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 7
Niced 393 Times in 222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Howl View Post
This statement doesn't make sense, but I agree.
It makes sense from a hype point of view, but it's weird that DGPT have chosen to devalue the legitimacy of their brand. DGPT is supposed to be the pinnacle of professional disc golf, so it's weird that they are featuring a player who haven't played a single tournament in his life. This mismatch makes it weird
Old 03-10-2020, 03:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 46
Niced 4,766 Times in 1,994 Posts

Quote:
It makes sense from a hype point of view, but it's weird that DGPT have chosen to devalue the legitimacy of their brand. DGPT is supposed to be the pinnacle of professional disc golf, so it's weird that they are featuring a player who haven't played a single tournament in his life. This mismatch makes it weird
There is nothing "professional" about feature cards. Their only purpose is to get views and nothing else...which I would say is pretty on-brand for DGPT.

Old 03-10-2020, 03:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,388 Times in 683 Posts

Quote:
If LeBron James started playing professional disc golf, you can bet your arse that he's on the R1 feature card for his first event. And probably every single event he plays after that too

It's not devaluing the brand at all, it's smart marketing.

Old 03-10-2020, 03:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 30.1
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,339 Times in 748 Posts

Weema! Weema!

Niced: (2)
Old 03-10-2020, 03:50 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 18.1
Courses Played: 88
Niced 208 Times in 95 Posts

I may be mistaken but I thought I remember there being something like "fan choice" players as members on a feature card before, I want to say they were usually local guys too.

Old 03-10-2020, 04:48 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 81
Niced 128 Times in 75 Posts

Is there going to be post-round production of this or is the subscription the only way to watch?

Old 03-10-2020, 05:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 2,055 Times in 487 Posts

The subscription will be the only way to watch as of now. What the DGPT decides to do later in the season is still up for some debate. But the subscription will be the only way to watch in the near future.