Old 03-20-2020, 06:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 53
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 5,033 Times in 2,625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrembo View Post
I walked into the restroom at Hudson Mills one time and there was a giant stool sticking out of one of the urinals. I went to the ranger office and when I told the dude there he exclaimed: "oh my god!" and then to one of his lackeys "you, go clean that up!" Truly one time where it sucks to be "you".
I guess the old adage is true, "**** rolls downhill"
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 03-20-2020, 06:41 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 45
Courses Played: 195
Niced 629 Times in 298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadlock86 View Post
looks like we have a serial pooper taking advantage of his down time. 18 drive bys
I might have taken this post a little too literal lol

Old 04-24-2020, 07:02 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 51
Niced 383 Times in 242 Posts

Maybe the most relevant thread near the top:

Has anyone tried standardizing (i.e. assign a point system) course rating? I'm new to course rating, but it is something I'd like to get into. With that, giving a course an arbitrary number rating seems short-sighted. So, I've come up with some categories (teepads, baskets, hole design, course design, etc; some are weighted higher than others), with a few options each (obviously high to low point options). Just curious on peoples takes!

So, for me, I really find value in teepads. Having a solid teepad for your first shot on any hole is important (first impressions matter!). Also, hole variability, use of land, and basket types are important, IMO.

Anywho, just curious!
Old 04-24-2020, 07:08 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 415
Niced 597 Times in 306 Posts

I know there are a few people that do that. Wellsbranch250 probably has a points system like that. He writes the best reviews imo. I'm sure there's quite a few others too.
Lots of great reviewers now.

Old 04-24-2020, 07:15 PM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 330
Niced 3,483 Times in 1,597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdaire27 View Post
Maybe the most relevant thread near the top:

Has anyone tried standardizing (i.e. assign a point system) course rating? I'm new to course rating, but it is something I'd like to get into. With that, giving a course an arbitrary number rating seems short-sighted. So, I've come up with some categories (teepads, baskets, hole design, course design, etc; some are weighted higher than others), with a few options each (obviously high to low point options). Just curious on peoples takes!

So, for me, I really find value in teepads. Having a solid teepad for your first shot on any hole is important (first impressions matter!). Also, hole variability, use of land, and basket types are important, IMO.

Anywho, just curious!
I could be wrong, but I think the term you're looking for is rubric.

I think Olorin developed rating scoring criteria at least that detailed many years ago, but for his own personal use. Pretty sure you can see it if you look at some of the courses he's reviewed. I believe he attached it as a file or something along those lines.

Wellsbranch seems to break down and quantify the various aspects of each course he reviews.

And I myself do it, but not with a great deal of "quantitative" analysis. I certainly consider multiple aspects of the course, but I break each attribute down into being good, excellent, phenomenal, fair, or poor... to align with the descriptions Tim provides for each rating.

The beauty/curse of DGCR is: reviewers are free to do things their way.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 04-24-2020 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.9
Courses Played: 127
Niced 4,213 Times in 1,739 Posts

I've known of a number of people to do it, for themselves.

The PDGA created a system like that, to create a "definitive" rating system. Is was unwieldy and unuseful.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:37 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 51
Niced 383 Times in 242 Posts

Guess we will give it a shot!

Also, for those who review regularly, do you only rate on DGCR or do you add your ratings to UDisc, too?

And it is definitely a rubric
Old 04-24-2020, 08:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 334
Niced 392 Times in 194 Posts

not to be overlooked: dave242

he was the first one i saw doing a clear/consistent rubric. a lot of people didn't like it but i always appreciated his perspective. i always hoped he'd someday reach 60% helpful votes and jump from non-TR directly to probably diamond.

Niced: (2)
Old 04-25-2020, 08:01 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.7
Courses Played: 386
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 180 Times in 96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdaire27 View Post

Anywho, just curious!

Homemade baskets that can only be holed from a 90 arc are poor. Tone poles made from 3 one-pound coffee cans are poor. Suspended hulahoops are poor. 50-gallon plastic barrels are poor. Bullseye targets painted on plywood are poor.

Relative to these, Mach 3s don't qualify as poor. Your rubric doesn't cover all the bases.

Old 04-25-2020, 08:47 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 343
Niced 379 Times in 155 Posts

How has nobody posted the back-to-back troll reviews for Walnut Hill in Columbus, OH? They really look as if they were written by the same person. From 2015 until April 2020, 13 reviews ranging in ratings from 1.5 to 4.0, then within 10 minutes a 0 and a 5.0. Hmmmm.

From TywinL:
Pros: Nothing. Well, maybe pulling the baskets will be permeant. That would be an improvement.
Cons: Course is in the Ghetto and run by Nazis. My car was broken into by meth heads while playing here last year and now the people who run the course have pulled the baskets.
Other Thoughts: Brilliant idea. Close down and outdoor activity that actually allows separation while the state allows real golf courses, mountain bike trails and other outdoor activities to stay open (as they should!). From the bottom of my heart F@#K the Flyers.

From Chain Clanger:
Pros: If you're looking to learn how to control long drives and really get some practice on your up game up, this is the course.
Cons: This course is controlled by the Columbus Flyers, so it is prone to their dictatorship. Hence why there are no baskets at this time. although there really isn't much better of a social distancing sport, you have people that have control issues who like to put their two cents in and ruin it for everyone else.