Old 03-25-2020, 08:05 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 207 Times in 101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFlickLuke View Post
I'll try not to hit anyone in the head.
I'm confused by your comment. My point was aimed at the potential loss of life caused by spreading a virus. Not by hitting someone in their head.

Perhaps I misunderstood your pursuit of happiness comment?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2020, 08:47 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.9
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 993 Times in 832 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegelexercise View Post
I mean...this breed of chucker who intentionally throws at other players is absolutely an awful person to have on the course, and if this COVID madness forces him off for good, all the better, but...and I'm only one person, but...I've been playing disc golf since I was in grade school, and in over two decades of playing, I honestly cannot recall a single instance of any other player intentionally throwing discs at other players. Careless rubes who aren't paying attention, sure, but never someone actually trying for head shots.
Try the last time I was playing slightly faster then my new speed for play for that particular course a set of Chukers who I could hear making fun of me and talking about how I must play Fornight or the Minecraft, I do not play super modern video/computer games anyhow as the speed is too fast
Old 03-25-2020, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
Try the last time I was playing slightly faster then my new speed for play for that particular course a set of Chukers who I could hear making fun of me and talking about how I must play Fornight or the Minecraft, I do not play super modern video/computer games anyhow as the speed is too fast, they tried to hit me and I had to slow down for an idiot drunk who was in the park,
Finished my thoughts, I posted too early.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateWesternSky View Post
I'm confused by your comment. My point was aimed at the potential loss of life caused by spreading a virus. Not by hitting someone in their head.

Perhaps I misunderstood your pursuit of happiness comment?
No it was about how these chucker's might not play anymore disc golf as they skip from one hobby to the next hobby in life, some are a specific age group from final era of Millennial's on up of who try to hit others in the USA State I live in due in part to instant gratification online, that the ability to wait for anything in life is not there as they have not really had to wait for things in life. Also the other generation of players who are 75 plus who we might lose or are too afraid or not in shape enough to play again when the COVID pandemic/health Issue has gone down is a sad part. Other then that we should have a return of disc golf back to the USA when the Corona Virus dies down. Those who go from one thing to the next in terms of hobbies and those who are older in life are who we might lose from the Corona Virus.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:54 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 143 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomerang View Post
Ever shoveled crap in a barn or other unpleasant farm animal activities? You aren't touching your face until you're done I can promise you that.
Sure have, though I don't find too many farm animal activities unpleasant. And I touched my face too. Have you ever caught and cleaned bluegill all day then eaten a pile of fried chicken without washing your hands? I have. Have you ever crawled through a cave full of bat, rat, and racoon scat for hours while licking clean your muddy compass lens? I have. It's not deadly at all.

I touch my face a lot
Old 03-26-2020, 12:30 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 12
Niced 1,210 Times in 630 Posts

[QUOTE=Armus Patheticus;3566706Have you ever crawled through a cave full of bat, rat, and racoon scat for hours while licking clean your muddy compass lens? I have. It's not deadly at all.

[/QUOTE]

Brainus Patheticus.....

Old 03-26-2020, 04:19 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 143 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discerdoo View Post
Brainus Patheticus.....
Using that there quote feature sure aint easy, but I think I getted it this time. Did you know that saltpetre prospectors searched for nitre-dirt in caves and beneath old barns, using taste as one primary way to identify suitable material? The years of bat guano and urine, or cattle and rat wastes were a big part of what gave the dirt its mineable properties. Course them fellers is all dead...
Old 03-26-2020, 04:46 AM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 330
Niced 3,502 Times in 1,604 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armus Patheticus View Post
Using that there quote feature sure aint easy, but I think I getted it this time. Did you know that saltpetre prospectors searched for nitre-dirt in caves and beneath old barns, using taste as one primary way to identify suitable material? The years of bat guano and urine, or cattle and rat wastes were a big part of what gave the dirt its mineable properties. Course them fellers is all dead...
Gotta remember this next time I wanna bitch about my job...

Niced: (2)
Old 03-26-2020, 06:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 213
Niced 386 Times in 236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlybakerbest View Post
If you know someone with a private course that has very limited traffic, sure go play solo (with permission obviously). Public facilities with hard surfaces are obvious transmission sites, golf baskets included. Playgrounds have been getting cordoned off with caution tape, and something as easily removed as a basket will be if people don't stop using them. That's why a place like NYC can't slow the spread very well, it's impossible to navigate that city without touching surfaces. But guess what, you can still play golf using trees/objects as targets in appropriately remote areas.
IMHO, private golf courses are a different animal. On nearly every stay home order in my area, they mention, "...outside your own household...." So I can assume that if you have permission from the owner that there is some relationship therein where you would normally come into contact with them/their family whether playing disc golf or not.

Quote:
Yep total CYA and they have to do it. That doesn't mean I have to listen to them, I'm a responsible person, not one of the idiot chuckers.

Keep the businesses closed and the parks open. So far Ohio has it right. And I'll very begrudgingly admit that Mike DeWine has made the right choices so far. (Primaries a perfect example of this).

Speaking of idiot chuckers, they aren't PDGA members. I'm not a member most years either. Most disc golfers are not members. Most people on this forum are not members.

So while I understand the "message" I will do what I have been doing, playing responsibly and going to the store once a week to get food. No other trips, no gathering in groups, limiting my exposure and therefore my family and neighbors exposure as much as possible.

I'm in the high risk group. My wife just had surgery. You can be damned sure I don't want to get this thing but I'm not living my life in fear either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave242 View Post
I haven't read this entire thread, so hopefully I'm not repeating something.....but I want to offer 3 counterpoints that support DG as a social-distancing-complaint activity:

CV is transmitted the most effectively via droplets from sneezing and coughing. If 6' spacing is maintained and people do not use public benches, then only if an infected person coughs/sneezes directly into the basket is there any chance of transmitting. And that chance is absolutely minuscule, especially when considering the fluid will evaporate pretty quickly. And due to the rounded surfaces of all the basket components there is very little surface area of basket touching your disc.

Sneezing and coughing people are less likely to feel motivated to get out and play.

Those who chose to ignore social distancing will chose to ignore social distancing. At least DG forces them apart from each other more so than almost anything else they could be doing as a group.
Talking public courses here.
Many people here don't get MTL's point. Either that or they have the spring breaker's "this-is-America-and-you-can't-make-me-do-anything" mentality. The overwhelming majority of members are responsible. Yes absolutely. I am not doubting that one bit. However, you and your small group of 2-3-4 out on the course, practicing appropriate social distancing and everything else ONLY INFORMS the I.C.'s that "it's ok to be out on the course right now." And like MTL says, it would be worse for our sport if something incredibly low risk actually happens in your community and "those disc golfers" get the blame for it, causing courses to be pulled. It won't matter that some of you were out there doing it the right way with social distancing; we'll all get lumped in together by the city's Parks & Rec department -- all the I.C.'s and the "proper distancing" members -- will all be "those disc golfers" that couldn't follow rules from city/county/state/federal officials and just stay off the course for a few weeks from the common good of everyone. And in most cases, if courses get pulled they won't get pulled for just a few weeks. It'll be FOREVER. I just hope it doesn't happen in my community.

Old 03-26-2020, 07:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,516 Times in 1,018 Posts

Quote:

Ever shoveled crap in a barn or other unpleasant farm animal activities? You aren't touching your face until you're done I can promise you that.
Hundreds if not thousands of times, never gave a single thought to not touching my face.

Niced: (3)