Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: What are your competitive disc golf aspirations?
Win a world title 8 7.48%
Compete at a top professional level 0 0%
Compete at a local professional level 17 15.89%
Compete at an advanced level 22 20.56%
Compete against friends/local league 18 16.82%
I am just out to throw for fun 42 39.25%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-26-2020, 12:29 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 31
Courses Played: 145
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 449 Times in 193 Posts

I'm blowing up my form and starting all over. Currently getting my best putter standstills as far as I used to throw my Rocs with a full x-step just last year. I've been at it all of March and am closing in on somewhere close to 2,000 putter standstills. (I've been regressing a little bit the last few days, gotta focus again on those damned hips of mine...)

I wanna have smooth, accurate, consistent 350' from the tee eventually, then I want to belong back in Am-1 someday like I did over 20 years ago. My putting is already good enough for that. It's the first half of the hole that prevents me from being any good.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 03-26-2020, 12:42 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 0.7
Courses Played: 13
Niced 167 Times in 86 Posts

I'd love to play competently, whether alone or with friends. The social aspect is secondary to the playing of the game. Probably somewhere around scratch golf would be great, but I don't have to get quite that good to be satisfied.

More than that, I just want to keep throwing discs and watching them fly and land and skip about. It's really simple and interesting, and sometimes beautiful, and it keeps me honest.

Last month I watched a huge herd of deer come down to the creek for a drink, as I gave them some space, and then I threw the hole down toward their creek as they gave me some space. Just a perfect private moment; those are nice aspirations too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armus Patheticus View Post
I hope to see some transcendent things here and there. See the leaves blow around. See the flowers come up. Crunch on the snow. Smell the dirt. I hope to watch my freinds being pleased with themselves. I hope to know more than I did before. I ache to hit a canada goose in the neck with a driver, and eat it. I hope to make someone gladder, or more thoughtful, or to make them laugh. I hope to stand behind players on the tee, see the discs in their hands, and prophesy with an unseen outstretched arm the direction in which they will err. I hope to pull a special disc out of the lake and give it to a graceless moron. I hope to miss a five-foot putt on purpose to lose a tournament by one throw. I hope to hit a big dead tree with a drive, and knock it down, and find among its exploded corpse a litter of raccoons which I will take home and care for and finally give away to a Catholic Priest who claims to run an animal rehab but actually does something else that I'll never learn of but which gets him in enough trouble that he leaves town. I hope to play a tournament in the sweltering heat and stash watermelons on ice in the weeds at the backup holes. I aspire to absolutely no competitive goal whatsoever. There's not room in my head for anything so silly.
Love it lol!

Last edited by disco40; 03-26-2020 at 12:44 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:12 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.9
Courses Played: 62
Niced 446 Times in 235 Posts

As long as I see continual improvement, I'm happy. I guess for aspirations, I just want to hit 100 courses, and then start my journey to 1K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWork View Post

It’s such a sweet course, I honestly can’t wait for the world to get to know Magic.
I've seen you post about this course before...are you talking about Magic Mountain in Vermont? I didn't get a chance to hit it last summer when I was back there, but I'm hoping to get to it this summer.

Old 03-26-2020, 10:18 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 194
Niced 823 Times in 525 Posts

I want to beat myself. I want to make the putts or hit the lines, when it counts, that I previously missed but know I shouldn't have missed. And that inevitably comes with fun, as long as I don't take myself too seriously when I disappoint myself.

I like playing competitively, but my work and life situation will never allow me to play enough competitive or enough practice rounds to become an open level player. I'll content myself with playing enough competitive rounds each year to get some kind of objective measure for where I'm at.

Old 03-26-2020, 10:44 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 835 Times in 365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanA View Post
As long as I see continual improvement, I'm happy. I guess for aspirations, I just want to hit 100 courses, and then start my journey to 1K.

I've seen you post about this course before...are you talking about Magic Mountain in Vermont? I didn't get a chance to hit it last summer when I was back there, but I'm hoping to get to it this summer.

Yes! It is awesome. It’s the quintessential VT mountain course with lots of shot shapes and styles of throws required! No place like it, and lots of really good golf in the area too! Let me know when you plan to come I’d be happy to show you around the course and give you some local food & bev recs. We could really use some more reviews, it’s harder to get feedback built up than one might think!

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...1&d=1585233844
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BA7AE699-F16E-4205-A76B-0901F7F56786.jpg (146.8 KB, 39 views)

Niced: (3)
Old 03-26-2020, 10:57 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 305 Times in 106 Posts

I'd be happy if I was able to make my way up to being mediocre intermediate player.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:09 PM
Par Member

Niced 81 Times in 47 Posts

Better mechanics. More distance, more umph behind the shots.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:29 PM

Years Playing: 35.4
Courses Played: 53
Niced 88 Times in 31 Posts

1. Have fun. Always goal #1. (Well, that and "don't get hurt" since that's not fun.)

2. Play some disc golf 2,633 days in a row with my son and "break" Cal Ripken's streak. We're about halfway there.

https://thediscgolfstreak.blogspot.com/

3. To be a 1000-rated doubles team with my son. Obviously that's not a PDGA official rating thing, but just a personal goal. We tend to throw 960-970 rated casual rounds together now so his natural progression should close that gap to 1000. We have more fun playing doubles and playing casual.

Niced: (4)
Old 03-27-2020, 08:24 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,388 Times in 683 Posts

Play smart, make good shots, and have fun. Those are my only goals. If I can do those 3 things, and at least putt the way I should be capable of (70% c1x) I know I can be competitive locally. That's really all I can ask for these days. I'm not good enough to compete for wins in MPO locally but can compete for cash spots, so maybe I can grab a few when I start playing MP40 next year.

Old 03-27-2020, 10:52 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 346 Times in 185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armus Patheticus View Post
There's not room in my head...
You're right.