Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 03-04-2020, 10:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 851 Times in 662 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
I donīt think Paul really had the time to dial in the Zeus for the 2019 season. . but now he have

It was a thing of beauty to see Paige park the 426ft hole 15 at Fountain Hills with her Zeus both rounds. . the flight she got on that Zeus was SO pure
Paige definitely threw the Zeus often, and well. In fact, its pretty obvious she put a lot of work in with the whole Discraft lineup during the offseason. She flat out slaughtered all the other women this past weekend. Her drives were way better than before, and she wasn't needlessly torquing Defenders OB, like last year.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2020, 04:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 851 Times in 662 Posts
Default Zeus

Finally got to throw a Zeus for the first time today. I've thrown 4 of the proto Kongs prior. I feel like I've made my displeasure with those discs abundantly clear, so I'll just move on to discussing the Zeus.

Disc is a first run ESP 174g. Discraft seems to still be doing the swirly ESP. This disc is stunningly gorgeous. Slightly gummy/rubbery feeling plastic. Grippy too. Dome is good, maybe slightly above average.

IDK if Discraft made any tweaks to this mold at all after the proto Kongs, but I liked this Zeus more than any of the Kongs. It has a gentler flight. By that I mean it actually has the advertised -1 turn, which it holds for a while before fading. I was able to get some good rips on the Zeus and pretty much turn it over at will. With the Kong that simply wasn't happening. Even if I torqued the Kong over it was very quick to fade back to hyzer.

My only real gripe about the Zeus is lack of glide and a bizarre late fade. The disc comes out of the hand well and speeds along nicely. However, late in flight the Zeus decides its done going forward and falls out of the air like a rock. It isn't even really a fade. The disc just slows and falls straight down. This happened on multiple throws, and I can't explain it. I figure this inelegant/sharp drop at the end of flight costs the disc at least 30' of distance. I think my best shot with the Zeus today might have been 385'. Wind conditions were a little chaotic.

Overall I liked the disc. For me the Zeus flies like the numbers say it should. I was able to lay into it hard and flat and get some flex. This is a far better flier than any of my 4 Kongs are. Lack of glide and the weird late fade are a little annoying.

I'll pick a calmer day and throw this thing some more. I definitely feel like the Zeus was shorter than it should have been. That despite a full flex flight.

Zeus: 12, 4, -1, 3: Lack of glide hurts a little. The Zeus doesn't get much late distance. It slows down quickly and at times seems sluggish.

Last edited by Twmccoy; 03-26-2020 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-12-2020, 05:48 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 14
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Going lightweight

I was wondering how the lightweight Zues are flying. Like 164 to 168 gram discs. I come from Legacy and the Outlaw which has the exactly same flight numbers. The max weight are overstable beasts and the mid to high 160s absolutely bomb. any help is much appreciated.

Old 04-13-2020, 12:53 AM

Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 14 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavis18 View Post
I was wondering how the lightweight Zues are flying. Like 164 to 168 gram discs. I come from Legacy and the Outlaw which has the exactly same flight numbers. The max weight are overstable beasts and the mid to high 160s absolutely bomb. any help is much appreciated.
I have a newest run Zeus that is 164-166g. It is one of my favorite discs. It flies pretty true to its flight numbers even with my 400ft amateur arm. Thrown flat i can get the -1 turn.