Old 03-06-2020, 09:03 AM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 75
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,284 Times in 824 Posts
Default Good DG Vlog content

Hey guys,

Ive been doing a disc golf travel Vlog this year, and trying to get better at making interesting content. What Ive been doing is showcasing different courses Ive played on around the country, giving some commentary and trying to do so in around 5-10 mins. .

My camerawork in some respects has not been great, but it has improved a bit and Ive gotten a little tripod to help for when I dont have someone to film.

Im not pumping for views, but I would like to know what sort of content you are likely to find interesting. My next few vids will likely be a review of a newer course in my area, me exploring a course or two in the Omaha area, and possibly Charlotte, NW Arkansas and Minneapolis.

Ive already shown Golden Gate Park in SF and the Las Vegas DG Park, which is a lighted course, and will probably be able to do another course in those areas later in the year. Also showed some shots on my home course at Etowah since the main critique of my video review was that it didnt have any shots featured.

Overall, could you guys let me know what you would like to see, with keeping in mind that if I go too in depth on things it will bee too long for my target. Ive found that more than 10 mins and I lose an audience, they dont want to look at/listen to me that long.

Thanks
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 03-06-2020, 09:28 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 140
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 483 Times in 218 Posts

I'm not personally a vlog fan, but I am in marketing, so I can provide some best practices and tips.

Timing:
You have the right idea, but I'd push you to try to stay under 7.5 minutes. Humans' attention span is shorter by the day. I think you're more likely to get full views with shorter clips.

Cadence:
Get a consistent cadence down - 1/week, 1/month, etc. Give your subscribers a day to look forward to.

Content:
I think course previews are always relevant. Not the full 18 holes, but maybe an overview with a few signature holes featured.

Disc Comparisons: One thing I think is interesting is disc analysis. These would be filmed (in a field) separately from the round. These are more compelling if you can get a 900, 950, & 100 rated player to throw the same discs.
Include disc details (plastic type, weight, mold, attributes (domey, flat, PLH, etc.)) then have each person throw them at roughly 75,90, & 100%, tracking their flights.

Vlog fans: People that subscribe to and consume vlog content seem to like the human aspect of the "life on the road" of the drama of being human and having to deal with 1st world problems. Maybe a shorter (venting) video where you can explain some of the challenges of being on the road and how stuff doesn't always go your way.

Practice: A lot of people are still trying to improve their game. Some folks may be interested in field work or putting strategy. Putt for 30 minutes or until you throw 100? Distance field work or fairway drivers. How to people practice mids & approaches?

Tournament Approach: With the context from above about helping people get better, maybe the mental approach of how you prepare for an event. Which holes you plan to attack vs shoot for par or where to play safe, how to come back from a double bogey or re-calibrate when the round isn't going according to plan.

Niced: (2)
Old 03-09-2020, 02:32 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 20
Niced 51 Times in 38 Posts

I mainly like to watch videos that are either entertaining because the players or commentary is fun to watch. I do like to watch videos that are instructional as I try to get better at the game. The better I get, the less I in interested in watching an "average" player just throw shots with some commentary on what they are trying to throw.
Old 03-22-2020, 05:53 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

During this time of lockdowns, the travel aspect of my channel and even the playing new course portions is delayed for some time. So I will be going back to short disc reviews/comparisons for a while. Here are some discs I’m considering;

Anax
DDX
Kahu Vs King
Zeus Vs Destroyer
Justice Vs Anvil
Envy Vs Harp

If you have other ideas(obvs I must own the discs) let me know!
Old 03-22-2020, 11:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,245 Times in 710 Posts

There was a guy in the DFW area that did something similar. He wasn't a top player, didn't have a very marketable personality, etc, and after a year or so was only getting a couple hundred views per video. I don't know how popular the channel would be if you're just a casual am player. Maybe if you have the funds to travel, try to tag along with one of the pros and document his or her journey along with what you are doing.

Old 03-23-2020, 10:04 AM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
There was a guy in the DFW area that did something similar. He wasn't a top player, didn't have a very marketable personality, etc, and after a year or so was only getting a couple hundred views per video. I don't know how popular the channel would be if you're just a casual am player. Maybe if you have the funds to travel, try to tag along with one of the pros and document his or her journey along with what you are doing.
I have been doing this for about 4 years with varying degrees of success. I have several videos with views in the 1000+ range and others with 40. Im not a name, so there is no draw there but I travel a lot for work and the main draw was supposed to be seeing all of the courses I travel to.

At this point making videos serves two purposes, to prevent me going crazy/learning a new skill and hopefully providing some decent content that someone wants to watch.

If I were a kid with the skills that I have, I would try to go on tour with a top pro sort of like what Casey White is doing and make a go of it, but Im in my 30s with a career.

I do happen to have some ability at throwing a disc, so with many discs if you wanted to see how a pro would throw it it should be close. Just not as consistent.

Niced: (1)