Old 03-22-2020, 10:25 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Mid selection for learning different angles

Hey guys,

I have made some research before, but I am not that knowledgable yet for what should be in my bag and what each disc can do for me. Few weeks ago I lost my only midrange which I have been using a lot (it was my very first disk I felt comfortable throwing: M4 - 750 (Prodigy)), so I am looking for one or two mids that can help me grow a bit.

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: DG for like half a year, but playing once a week in average
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH, some OH (more and more lately, but I want to revert this trend), RHFH is a work in progress
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Aviar 130 ft semi accurately, ceiling for my drivers would be around 240, further would be very inconsistent

Optional:
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: Both knees surgically repaired, giving trouble sometimes (more often I would like to)
Other sport proficiencies?: Basketball
Specific areas of desired feedback: I started building my bag without much knowledge or help whatsoever and been adding some specific discs for trying new things. Have to admit, without mastering what I already have. I just need something I can grow with. Would also welcome suggestions to what is really missing/mispicked in my bag. Do not plan to buy any more discs than this

Bag:

Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use). Just realized all of my drivers are Latitude64, it is just a coincidence:

Jade - Opto (Latitude64) - probably my primary driver. Though sometimes I do have trouble with drawing too much air, destroying my distance
Riot - Opto (Latitude64) - only when I feel confident. Somehow I feel like I do better with Jade
Explorer - Opto (Latitude64) - just for drives I need to turn left
XXX - Opto (Latitude64) -for thumbers, is becoming my most consistent shot selection and I feel bad about it. I am not confident at all to throw anything else with it

Mids: Been looking at Mako3 or Buzzz. I feel like I can make some turny approaches with my Aviar X3, so I would be looking either for one versatile disk or one as straight as possible (Mako3) - something that flies like a putter but gives me more distance and one understable like Meteor maybe? My forehand is trash so I would like to learn some anhyzers, since these are very needed at our local DG course

Putters:
Aviar - DX (Innova) - primary putter
Aviar X3 - DX (Innova) - secondary putter, but also a utility/turny approach disk

Overall, my technique leaves a lot to be desired, and my hands are very small for my size (being 6 feet tall). Also, I dont have much power in my shots, but that probably comes down to the technique a lot...

Thank you very much!
Sponsored Links

Last edited by MalejKugi; 03-22-2020 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Providing more info
Old 03-22-2020, 10:35 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 141 Times in 70 Posts

Mako, meteor, dx rocs and sharks and cobras, comet, buzzz (and many more) are all very versatile discs. None of these have so much turn that they can't fly straight or hyzer lines, and all are excellent for turnover or anhyzer lines too. Any one of them will work fine, all you need is the time to learn them.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-22-2020, 10:47 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

That sounds like I do not need to have two midranges, i.e. one straight and one understable? Are these disks that versatile that over time I can accomplish it with only one mid? Thanks
Old 03-22-2020, 11:02 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 141 Times in 70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalejKugi View Post
That sounds like I do not need to have two midranges, i.e. one straight and one understable? Are these disks that versatile that over time I can accomplish it with only one mid? Thanks
The most versatile discs are slightly understable. You can accomplish almost any flight with them. But it takes practice, and some measure of skill. Many mids will not be understable initially but will quickly become so. Like a dx Roc. Others are understable initially, but may become very difficult to throw on hyzer shots as they wear. These mids with lots of built-in turn are the least versatile and most inefficient over time. Something like an esp meteor or heavy dx shark will turn a little when new and remain functional for a wide variety of shots for a long time.
Old 03-22-2020, 11:25 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oh that is something I had no idea was a thing. Is it with all discs that they become more and more understable with time and wear? Could a solution be to have one primary mid that can become understable over time (anything mentioned before) - something like dx Roc or Buzzz and then have a very straight mid I will use once in a while for tunnel shots, so it preserves its flying characteristics (we have plenty here and I have been struggling so hard)? Or is it just an overkill and overcomplicating things, so just buy one and learn, because even tunnel shots are more about the technique than the disc?
Old 03-22-2020, 11:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 5
Niced 1,025 Times in 697 Posts

Comet, Comet and COMET

Can't believe I'm first to mention it haha. It's coming...

Or X Comet, ESP Comet, Z Comet

If you spend a lot of time here you will likely throw one sooner or later.. Peer pressure.. If I was you I'd aim for sooner.

Ooh or:
167 X Comet, 174 ESP Comet, 180 Z Comet

Last edited by ThrowaEnvy; 03-22-2020 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-22-2020, 02:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 36
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 164 Times in 117 Posts

I love mids and bag a ton of them. My line-up looks much like the one that many have mentioned already: beat-in X Comet for US duties, ESP Comet for any line really depending on how you throw it, Buzzz SS for dead straight shots, Champ Roc3 for OS, and VIP Bard for beefier OS lines. I threw a Verdict for a long time and loved it but lost mine and tried a Bard, which I am really liking as the hand feel is simlar to my Buzzz SS and both are great forehand discs as well. I also bag a Pro Leo and a Kaxe Z, which are tweeners and are great discs, especially the Leo. Claymore and Mako3 are worth a look, too; I threw both for a long time. If I had to pick one mid and one mid only though, ESP Comet would be it. It's so versatile and glides a long way.

Old 03-22-2020, 02:55 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 12
Niced 529 Times in 374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy View Post
Comet, Comet and COMET

Can't believe I'm first to mention it haha. It's coming...

Or X Comet, ESP Comet, Z Comet

If you spend a lot of time here you will likely throw one sooner or later.. Peer pressure.. If I was you I'd aim for sooner.

Ooh or:
167 X Comet, 174 ESP Comet, 180 Z Comet

I can't agree more with what ThrowaEnvy said. I put off throwing a Comet for at least 5 years of my DG career, but now I always have 1 or more in the bag. If you don't like beaded mids though, a Meteor is an ok replacement.

Niced: (3)
Old 03-23-2020, 10:13 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 187 Times in 112 Posts

I think for what you’re looking for in a mid the Mako3 would be an excellent choice.

It should do just about anything you tell it to do even with your current power/distance.

If you’re looking for a mid specifically to use for turnover shots that go right, you might look at the Westside Tursas.

When I was starting out I leaned heavily on my mids and my go-to discs were a Warship and the Tursas. As I progressed, the Tursas came out of the bag because I could get the Warship to do whatever shot I wanted. These days I pretty much just use the MD3 as my go-to mid for everything. (Max weight, metal flake glow Iron Samurai)

Old 03-23-2020, 10:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 5
Niced 1,025 Times in 697 Posts

Comet!

I don't think the meteor is a good choice, I used to like the disc but once you hit a certain power level it doesn't hold a true line it will turn so you go to little hyzer flips rather than a flat throw. I always wanted a rare Crystal Meteor though, I figured that would be good...(they didn't make it in Z) now they have production run Z.. Makes me curious because of previous good times but it's no Comet, I couldn't imagine going back.

You can also get a Comet in Glow Z plastic one of my personal favorites. Nice blend and you can play in the dark!

Always copied, never duplicated.. Get one and you can become....

A Cometeer!

Niced: (3)

Last edited by ThrowaEnvy; 03-23-2020 at 10:49 AM.