Old 03-23-2020, 05:34 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 46
Niced 112 Times in 82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
Discmania killed the P-PD, which I thought flew the best of all of them (aside from beat in S-PD) long ago.

Finding a P-PD flight, off the shelf, is probably still important to a lot of people.
I feel like the Ti-Vulture (or the one I got) fits that bill. Vulture "clicks" with me in several different areas.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 03-23-2020, 06:05 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.9
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 990 Times in 829 Posts

This is where I would have gone with a Z XL that is a Teebird in flight despite the numbers. The ESP XL was and still is in limmited runs from those I have seen being thrown the flight of more the OS low dome/no dome L Eagle straight but that major hook up that the Eagle has. No dome/low dome X wing Eagle is nearly a Banshee in flight. I tend to now go with the Stalker for the OS though it is not as OS as people like. If I had to get a really OS disc, would go with a Raptor as that is close to what a Z FLX or very flexible run of Z is like in XL they had but since the XL is basically made in just a plastic that since mid 2006 to 2007 works only for putters and very slow midrange/fast approach putter disc type shot.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 03-23-2020 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 851 Times in 662 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post
One of us got a dud.

The Anax I have is beefy and not really glidey. My Vultures have a touch of high speed turn and decent glide.

If I assigned my own numbers for comparison it would probably be something like this.

Vulture - 10/5/-.5/1.5

Anax - 10/4/0/3

For reference, I only have the one Anax and it is either a prototype or first run. I have five or six Vultures.

I am also old, max out around 350 on a good day, and never play below 5,000 feet so take that into consideration.

Interesting. With the Anax and Vulture I only have 1 of each, so that's what I'm basing my conclusions on. My Anax is a first run. It is quite a bit less stable than the Vulture. With the Anax I was able to flatten it out or turn it over pretty much at will.

Based on reading the observations of others I think I may have an abnormally flippy Anax. The glide is there though. Very floaty. I don't rate many drivers at 6, but this one is.

I've never thrown discs outside of CO, so I have zero clue how the flight differs at sea level. Weather was also a little unsettled and windy today. I'll throw the Anax some more on a calmer, warmer day.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydex View Post
I find the Vulture to be less stable than a Thunderbird. The ESP Vulture I have I'd rate it 9/5/-1/2. The Thunderbirds closest to the Vulture would be my GStar ones. In fact, they definitely overlap. Champion 3x Thunderbirds are similar too with 4x Thunderbirds being the most stable of the group. Star Thunderbirds are wonderfully beefy bricks, at least the run I have are. I've since heard they've taken the beef out.

I haven't thrown an Anax, simply because I have enough Thunderbirds already.
My Vulture is pretty damn beefy. Upon further reflection, this disc reminds me of a fresh Starfire or maybe even a McBeth Destroyer. I can flatten it out for good yardage, but if I miss my throw even a little the disc will flare out and stall way short.

The Anax was nothing like the Thunderbird or Vulture. Way longer, glidier, and flippier.

I have a Thunderbird in the bag now, and its going to stay there. I like the Vulture fine, but it doesn't do anything different than a Thunderbird. I see no need to switch. I should have added a Getaway to this mix today for an even better comparison.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-23-2020, 08:03 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 51
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 70 Times in 38 Posts

Where does a stalker fit in here? a little slower and less fade? rim width seem to be similar between the thunderbird and stalker
Old 03-23-2020, 08:15 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 19
Niced 192 Times in 106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
My Vulture is pretty damn beefy. Upon further reflection, this disc reminds me of a fresh Starfire or maybe even a McBeth Destroyer. I can flatten it out for good yardage, but if I miss my throw even a little the disc will flare out and stall way short.

The Anax was nothing like the Thunderbird or Vulture. Way longer, glidier, and flippier.

I have a Thunderbird in the bag now, and its going to stay there. I like the Vulture fine, but it doesn't do anything different than a Thunderbird. I see no need to switch. I should have added a Getaway to this mix today for an even better comparison.
I have a vulture that could cover every line you described. The plastics can range very differently from 9/5/-1/2( beat up cd2) to 9/4/0/3( Sexton firebird)
Old 03-23-2020, 09:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtex View Post
Where does a stalker fit in here? a little slower and less fade? rim width seem to be similar between the thunderbird and stalker
A Stalker for me is something like 7, 5 ,-2, 1. Its a pretty good, straight flier out to about 340'. The Stalker will obviously go further than 340', but it starts turning a lot when you put big power on it.

Stalkers work well for controlled drives that you want to finish straight. Not much late fade at all.

So, straighter than a Vulture. 3 speeds slower too.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:13 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 828 Times in 364 Posts

Having thrown the vulture and the Thundy a decent amount, I just want to suggest that you add the Kastaplast Lots to the mix. At 9,5,-1,2 the numbers aren’t far off, and in my short experience with it so far, it has a huge sweet spot and is very easy to throw extremely accurately. Also K1 plastic is unreal nice.

The Anax never really came out of my hand like I wanted it to, so while it’s very pretty it just never stayed in the bag.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:27 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 46
Niced 112 Times in 82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owensjef View Post
I have a vulture that could cover every line you described. The plastics can range very differently from 9/5/-1/2( beat up cd2) to 9/4/0/3( Sexton firebird)
And doing all those shots while being controllable.

My comparison with the Vulture has been against a seasoned PD (probably flies like a Thunderbird), seasoned OLF, and a Getaway. PDs use to be one of my main drivers back in the day.

Out of the extensive throws that I have had with each, I chose the Vulture. I felt like I had more control and consistent distance than with the other discs. And yes, I was getting the same or more distance with the Vulture.

While I haven't thrown it against a Thunderbird, I have felt the rim and the Vulture is a little smaller than the Thunderbird. I know I get more control on smaller rim. That and I have heard the Thunderbird is a little more beefy than the Vulture which may not be what I want for some shots. However, I can get a beefy Vulture.

Anyway, I like the Vulture.

Old 03-24-2020, 09:22 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 19
Niced 192 Times in 106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crd 81 View Post
And doing all those shots while being controllable.

My comparison with the Vulture has been against a seasoned PD (probably flies like a Thunderbird), seasoned OLF, and a Getaway. PDs use to be one of my main drivers back in the day.

Out of the extensive throws that I have had with each, I chose the Vulture. I felt like I had more control and consistent distance than with the other discs. And yes, I was getting the same or more distance with the Vulture.

While I haven't thrown it against a Thunderbird, I have felt the rim and the Vulture is a little smaller than the Thunderbird. I know I get more control on smaller rim. That and I have heard the Thunderbird is a little more beefy than the Vulture which may not be what I want for some shots. However, I can get a beefy Vulture.

Anyway, I like the Vulture.
I love the PD , but the scarcity and inconsistency from run to run lead me to other discs. The cd2 was great when the roaming thunder 1 showed up. It gave over and understable in 1 mold. Again, scarcity with discmania lead me away.