#1  
Old 03-23-2020, 10:32 PM
Jbultman Jbultman is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 231
Niced 18 Times in 13 Posts
Default Explorer vs Undertaker

Can’t decide on which to carry for the understable fairway slot. Would be paired next to 2 or 3 glow fd3s. Both throw approx 360 with a little turn

Pros vs cons...
Explorer:
Pro- straight, slight turn but a reliable os finish
Con- a little domey and difficult to forehand b/c

Undertaker:
Pro-more flat top, super straight flight and finish
Con- a little understable

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-23-2020, 10:43 PM
Twmccoy Twmccoy is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 2,480
Niced 851 Times in 662 Posts
Default

If you're looking for understable, you probably want the Undertaker. I found the Explorer to be more like a Teebird. Straight with a reliable late fade. Not really understable.

Explorer: 7, 5, 0, 2
Undertaker: 9, 5, -2, 2


The Undertaker is longer and flippier than the Explorer.

You could bag both discs and use them for different purposes.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-23-2020, 11:52 PM
wolfhaley's Avatar
wolfhaley wolfhaley is online now
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Marshfield, WI
Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 415
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 781
Niced 607 Times in 313 Posts
Default

I'll be bagging both this year. I love Explorers and have used one for the last two years. I have less experience with Undertakers, but I'm liking them a lot so far. Only tried a TI and Z flx so far but they're more stable than I thought they'd be.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-24-2020, 05:27 AM
Jbultman Jbultman is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 231
Niced 18 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Well, I have some new and some beat of both and I would prefer to carry one not both to limit the number of molds I carry...
If I would go with the undertaker I would carry 2: option#1– 1 beat esp and 1 newish ti paired with 3 glow fd3, newish, sorta beat and super beat.
Option#2– Where as the explorer would be 3: beat recycled, beat Opto and and either a new Opto or Opto-x and 2 glow fd3: newish and sorta beat.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-24-2020, 07:49 AM
VictorB's Avatar
VictorB VictorB is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 91
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,130
Niced 1,388 Times in 683 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
Explorer: 7, 5, 0, 2
Undertaker: 9, 5, -2, 2
The last couple threads I've seen you rate some discs way flippier than my experience...how much power we talkin here? I have a fairly beat z undertaker at 168 that I can max out to 375' and I don't find it to be flippy. Stock run. Brand new I'd say the Undertaker is 8/5/-0.5/2 in ESP (which I use as the baseline for the mold, as it seems to fly best in that plastic)

Never thrown an explorer, but what you list the Undertaker as is what I'd call a new Z or Ti Mantis. Just curious as to how you came to the conclusion there and in the anax/vulture thread. Not trying to say you're wrong, just want to know what sort of power you have, and how much experience you have with those molds.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-24-2020, 11:00 AM
Twmccoy Twmccoy is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 2,480
Niced 851 Times in 662 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
The last couple threads I've seen you rate some discs way flippier than my experience...how much power we talkin here? I have a fairly beat z undertaker at 168 that I can max out to 375' and I don't find it to be flippy. Stock run. Brand new I'd say the Undertaker is 8/5/-0.5/2 in ESP (which I use as the baseline for the mold, as it seems to fly best in that plastic)

Never thrown an explorer, but what you list the Undertaker as is what I'd call a new Z or Ti Mantis. Just curious as to how you came to the conclusion there and in the anax/vulture thread. Not trying to say you're wrong, just want to know what sort of power you have, and how much experience you have with those molds.
I don't have much experience at all with the Undertaker, Anax, or Vulture. Basically a sample size of 1 each.

I figure I could probably do 375' with an Undertaker. The one I had kept wanting to turn and not come back. It wasn't horribly flippy, but it sometimes went right and stayed there.

I think I have a weird Anax. That thing is legitimately flippy. I was surprised how easily I was getting over on it.

For the record, my max distance is right at 450' with something like a Shryke or Sheriff.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-24-2020, 02:19 PM
jmdaire27's Avatar
jmdaire27 jmdaire27 is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Duluth
Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 51
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 945
Niced 384 Times in 242 Posts
Default

I agree with victor about the Undy ‘numbers.’ Fresh Undys are tight line S flyers, and I believe the Explorer is kind of the same thing, but maybe a touch slower.

Go with what is comfortable. And the Undy is quite comfortable, smaller rim, not too deep, and maybe a tad bit ‘plussy.’

FWIW, I’ve been considering ‘exploring’ different molds in the Undy spot, but also considering adding something like a PD for more fairway hyzer shots. Shrugs.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-24-2020, 02:43 PM
Blobfish's Avatar
Blobfish Blobfish is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 788
Niced 263 Times in 150 Posts
Default

I only have the explorer I got with my PDGA membership last year. I threw it a couple times and it flew very similar to my Daredevil Timberwolf. The timberwolf is a tad slower than the undertaker which lets me throw cleaner down a narrow stretch. The undertaker is more of my open space fairway driver and my ESP undertaker is stable enough to fly very predictably for me even in medium winds. But you're also bagging a couple FD3s... If I had to ditch one over the other, I'd ditch the Explorer.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-26-2020, 01:10 PM
Jbultman Jbultman is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 231
Niced 18 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobfish View Post
I only have the explorer I got with my PDGA membership last year. I threw it a couple times and it flew very similar to my Daredevil Timberwolf. The timberwolf is a tad slower than the undertaker which lets me throw cleaner down a narrow stretch. The undertaker is more of my open space fairway driver and my ESP undertaker is stable enough to fly very predictably for me even in medium winds. But you're also bagging a couple FD3s... If I had to ditch one over the other, I'd ditch the Explorer.
Interesting. I’d love undertaker just a bit more overstable or the explorer just a bit more understable.... what would be inbetween that I would be able to have an understable and an overstable based on the plastic choice?
FD, stalker, etc...
Reply With Quote
 

  #10  
Old 03-26-2020, 01:17 PM
VictorB's Avatar
VictorB VictorB is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 91
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,130
Niced 1,388 Times in 683 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbultman View Post
Interesting. I’d love undertaker just a bit more overstable or the explorer just a bit more understable.... what would be inbetween that I would be able to have an understable and an overstable based on the plastic choice?
FD, stalker, etc...
If you can find first run or z glow undertaker, that would be your best bet to have a more overstable version. A cryztal stalker may work also but notably slower and needs more height to work. Not sure for the explorer.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Explorer GoobyPls Discs 289 05-17-2020 05:15 PM
Opto Explorer Streets The Marketplace 0 01-13-2019 05:59 PM
Understable Explorer plastic? Jbultman Discs 12 12-12-2018 04:29 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.