Old 05-22-2020, 11:25 AM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 46.4
Courses Played: 426
Niced 2,213 Times in 1,059 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
I hope I never play a par 2 hole. Have to make an ace to make birdie. Doesn't rub well with me. PGA tour has plenty of holes where the majority of the field birdies them. Nothing wrong with having easy holes.
Nothing wrong with easy holes, but at some point they are so easy (relative to set par) that par should be lower.

If par was supposed to be one higher than the score that an expert disc golfer would be expected to make, the definition would say so. (It doesn't.)

Changing baskets will not fix how par has been set in the past. Setting par according to the actual definition will fix how par is set.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2020, 12:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 832 Times in 360 Posts

Course design fixes putting being “too easy” in good weather. It doesn’t matter if the baskets change what the distance to the pin is, there will always be some circle of “gimmes”.

Making baskets smaller or catch less reliably than a Mach V, or a Discatcher only makes putting even less entertaining than it already is. We don’t need more layups.

Secondary effect is that aces will go way down. Are aces too easy already too?

Besides this is a completely different conversation in poor conditions, e.g. high wind.

I have no interest in laying up 20 footers or watching a pro round at a NT where they are doing the same.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 81
Niced 605 Times in 312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Howl View Post
How is that a mic drop?
Because they literally said everything i mentioned in my posts in this thread.
Having obstacles within the circle doesnt reward a good tee shot/approach. Smaller baskets can add the difficulty we need on the green,rewarding good upshots/drives.

Death putts, elevated baskets, gimmicky o.b. flags and greens obstacles are imo a result of inside the circle putting being too easy.

Just think about it. With a smaller basket you can add difficulty to any course in america without a redesign. This makes more and more sense for the pro tour to at least look into this as an option.
Which they have(as i found out) and its a great discussion to be had.

Dismissing it or describing how u putt with toddlers, is sad.

Layup talk is AM speak and also sad.

Catchability has yet to be determined considering we only have practice baskets right now.

Oakley has the right idea. 2/3 the size.

Its sad i have to explain a mic drop to you, now i know the people im dealing with and it no longer warrants responses. I will just point to the video for my justification.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:57 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoney View Post
Because they literally said everything i mentioned in my posts in this thread.
Having obstacles within the circle doesnt reward a good tee shot/approach. Smaller baskets can add the difficulty we need on the green,rewarding good upshots/drives.

Death putts, elevated baskets, gimmicky o.b. flags and greens obstacles are imo a result of inside the circle putting being too easy.

Just think about it. With a smaller basket you can add difficulty to any course in america without a redesign. This makes more and more sense for the pro tour to at least look into this as an option.
Which they have(as i found out) and its a great discussion to be had.

Catchability has yet to be determined considering we only have practice baskets right now.

Oakley has the right idea. 2/3 the size.

Its sad i have to explain a mic drop to you, now i know the people im dealing with and it no longer warrants responses. I will just point to the video for my justification.
99% of us are bad putters. You claim superiority over us like it's something to be proud of.

Golf is about bettering yourself not putting down your competition.

Meanwhile most of us in the bottom 99% just want to enjoy a round and make some putts. They do not want to practice putting to make 20 footers.

If the pro tour wants to invest a bunch of money in new baskets and lug them around for a couple of events to try them out it's their decision to do so. The results will speak for themselves.

Even the best miss putts inside C1. Putting is mental. Pressure is an amazing thing.

Elevated baskets add pressure, they don't make it more difficult to make the putt.

Death putts are great, instant pressure. After all if putting is so easy inside C1, they shouldn't feel any pressure staring down that ravine 5 feet behind the basket.

Painted OB is just substitute for natural OB. Not all courses have trees, this has been beaten to death a million times.

Obstacles that cannot be maneuvered around inside the circle (or whatever range is considered a 95% make, C1 for now) is bad course design. A small tree you can straddle around is fine though.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomerang View Post
99% of us are bad putters. You claim superiority over us like it's something to be proud of.

Golf is about bettering yourself not putting down your competition.

Meanwhile most of us in the bottom 99% just want to enjoy a round and make some putts. They do not want to practice putting to make 20 footer.
Lol comprehension is fun. Try it sometime. I havent once claimed i was a better putter than anyone. If anything, everyone else has been putting me down...which is fine, im an adult.

I just look at disc golf without bias and i can clearly see this issue(alomg with several other top pros, and im sure some that havent spoke up).

YOU shouldnt have to practice 20 footers but i believe a PRO should.

My reasoning is superior but not because im smarter, its because alot of ppl are blinded by bias.

Maybe go back and re-read the posts. See how much more hate i get than i give.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 33
Niced 1,486 Times in 691 Posts

Quote:
Ouch, i apologize for this mic drop

https://youtu.be/5Ux3MjLIw_Q

I know it hurts now, but it will feel better with time

Mic check, or perhaps check your ego?
Old 05-22-2020, 01:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post
Mic check, or perhaps check your ego?
I have and thats why i apologized. I realized how much it may hurt yall.

I guess i could have put "i told ya so" but i know the sensitive nature of the interwebs.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:29 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Lol comprehension is fun. Try it sometime. I havent once claimed i was a better putter than anyone. If anything, everyone else has been putting me down...which is fine, im an adult.

I just look at disc golf without bias and i can clearly see this issue(alomg with several other top pros, and im sure some that havent spoke up).

YOU shouldnt have to practice 20 footers but i believe a PRO should.

My reasoning is superior but not because im smarter, its because alot of ppl are blinded by bias.

Maybe go back and re-read the posts. See how much more hate i get than i give.
Thanks for the suggestion. I should read more. But since I can't comprehend what's the point?

Quote:

This is why I responded to you. I don't care how warranted you believed it was. You outright insulted 99% of the community.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:31 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 238 Times in 143 Posts

I see smaller baskets not happening. But for an economical reason. Let's say the rule changes and tournaments now use smaller baskets. Every course will have to change to smaller baskets - why? Players who play in tournaments want to use the same equipment they will see/use in tournaments. It lets them practice and improve so they can play well in tournaments. If courses keep the current size baskets, you'll see fewer people playing them and they'll be looking for courses with smaller/tournament baskets to play at. So what happens to all those current size baskets? You might say - just remove chains, but will that make them tournament baskets? Don't the smaller baskets also have a smaller band at the top? How are you going to fix that? And will 'reduced' existing baskets (removing chains, etc) be legal baskets?

I'm an amateur and have played in tournaments. I know that if tournaments went to smaller baskets, I'd only want to play courses that have the smaller baskets. It would be a pain and hurt my scores if I normally played using large baskets and then had to use small baskets in tournaments.

Niced: (2)

Old 05-22-2020, 01:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 31
Niced 1,484 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:

"Sad"? I was laying out what I thought were legitimate concerns. No one was attacking you. They just disagree. No need to be an ass.

I putt on a Marksman and play catch with my toddlers weekly. It's an apt analogy.

I also see pros layup on tour while putting at MachXs and Discatchers all the time.

And your big mic drop is, "See?! Other people have debated shrinking basket size just like we're doing here!"? A mic drop would be if the video confirmed your points, but that video never settled on anything. They just went in circles (like we're doing here) and, acknowledging my bias, seems like course design triumphed over implementing smaller baskets.

Hey, but now that you know who you're "dealing with" I guess that ends the discussion and we can both f-k off.

Niced: (2)