Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Disc Golf Courses > Course Design

View Poll Results: What pin configuration option do you prefer?
One pin per hole! 1 2.56%
Multiple permanent pins make a good design tool 6 15.38%
Multiple permanent pins create better course variety 11 28.21%
Moveable pins are OK, multiple permanent pins no so much. 9 23.08%
If you have 2 permanent pins, do it on every hole 1 2.56%
No Opinion, I'll play anywhere 11 28.21%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-23-2020, 09:03 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 31.6
Courses Played: 710
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,532 Times in 1,072 Posts

Highbridge will soon have two baskets on every Granite Ridge hole. Blueberry Hill will have two tees per hole with 9 holes having two baskets.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2020, 09:25 PM

Courses Played: 4
Niced 27 Times in 6 Posts

Kind of torn on this...we have a nice course that has movable pins (an A position or B position). The A layout is a shorter, but still challenging and the B layout is much longer and creates more challenging angles and distance which can be fun but it makes many of the holes too challenging for many players. The problem is that the pins are typically either all A or all B. I would like to see a mix of A and B throughout so you get some longer more technical B pins along with some of the shorter A pins. So overall I would say I like the multiple permanent pin positions as long as they are well marked and not confusing as to where the target is.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:45 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 35.4
Courses Played: 264
Niced 281 Times in 159 Posts

The Dane County (Madison WI is in Dane County)Disc Golf Courses have 1 basket, but 3 pin placements (red, white and blue) and 2 tees per hole, I know that they used to put all the baskets at Token Creek in one color (I think even the practice basket moves depending on color) for the whole course. So once you know which color the first basket is in, you will know where the rest of baskets are. I believe that the same formula is used at Capital Springs.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:50 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 0.6
Courses Played: 2
Niced 268 Times in 126 Posts

Said before, I vote for designers to have more tools rather than less.

Don’t cut corners and all is good. You don’t want your review to be WTF was he thinking???

You are obviously trying to deliver a quality course, I’m sure it will turn out great.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,126 Times in 2,001 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discbee View Post
Kind of torn on this...we have a nice course that has movable pins (an A position or B position). The A layout is a shorter, but still challenging and the B layout is much longer and creates more challenging angles and distance which can be fun but it makes many of the holes too challenging for many players. The problem is that the pins are typically either all A or all B. I would like to see a mix of A and B throughout so you get some longer more technical B pins along with some of the shorter A pins. So overall I would say I like the multiple permanent pin positions as long as they are well marked and not confusing as to where the target is.
The one course near me with multiple placements (as many as 4 on some holes) mixes them up. I agree that it's much better than flipping from all-long to all-short. Some weeks it's 75% long, others it's 75% short, or somewhere in between.

The signs show all locations and the posts have labeled metal loops, to which the basket-movers attach small padlocks (prevents mischief).

It's a good system for handling multiple placements.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:25 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 189 Times in 110 Posts

I was fully on multiple permanent's side of things but the comment about moving pins resting the ground is pretty compelling to me as it's the main area where I see DG not living up to my first impressions of being one of the more eco-friendly sports.
The ideal I suppose would be having a couple of pins on each hole but they vary between a couple of locations each that are similar in difficulty but allow for resting the ground. Having some indicator of where the pins are at the tee sign is definitely important.
I find multiple tees more of a problem since it brings in safety issues if not done really well with people walking onto a tee ahead of players already driving off the longer tee.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:02 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 3
Niced 213 Times in 108 Posts

Funny.

The most recent review popped up for the course that I was referencing (Victor Ashe) and among the pros were easy to navigate.
Old 09-25-2020, 03:30 PM

Years Playing: 23.4
Niced 14 Times in 5 Posts

imo the basket is THE TARGET, when I'm playing a hole I want to focus on the goal at hand with no visual distractions aside from the landscape design of the hole itself - even if there is a shorter basket that is on a different line/approach to the green, and I'm not in danger of hitting it or black-acing it, I don't want the distraction --- for me it detracts from the 'purity of play' --- i don't want to see another target anywhere around the current fairway, until the next hole... Better to adjust difficulty/level with alternate tees and/or appropriate pars/levels clearly labeled on tee signs; ie. the long position for an advanced par3 may make for a great beginner par4, especially if the shorter pin/green is absent/capped and can properly serve as a landing zone for the longer beginner par4 position...

Niced: (1)

Old 09-29-2020, 07:20 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 54
Niced 26 Times in 15 Posts

I'm not a fan of moveable pins. My thought is that there is a best pin for a particular skill level. I mentioned an exception for reduced erosion.

I have another exception where I believe it is a tool. I started playing mostly wooded holes. When I played open courses I found it difficult to judge distance with lack of trees. Added pressure to approach into my putting circle. Depth perception thing.

Most find open holes bad, but for reason I stated they are still an element of the game.

Until park mower destroyed collars, I had a wide open moveable pin hole where there was significant distance differences on the pin collars, but still a multiple drive par 4. Alternate locations were not flagged at collar, but distances indicated at tee.

This allowed a different experience on a plain hole where a player not gauging distance correctly could cost a stroke. I believe works best on long par 4 +.