Old 08-19-2018, 04:45 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 401 Times in 180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoobyPls View Post
the best example of an ongoing problem I've had this year, where normally easy-to-execute putts become huge problems for me.

But last night:
  • I missed an 8 foot putt
  • Then three-putted a few holes later from within 25 feet
  • Then four-putted after that from within 20 feet, including a wild airball from about 18 feet

It's really only been a problem in rated rounds this year. My first thought was it was related to tournament pressure or something. But the environment last night was just more like a casual league night (my buddy was even on the card with me).
First, sorry my post is kind of rambling, I'm not as eloquent as many of the others above.

The advice posted so far is really good and I think it basically boils down to developing a consistent approach. Practicing it until the "yips" work out of your system and building some mental resistance (in the form of a routine) to letting a bad putt or an off day spiral into the depths.

Think of it this way: sometimes what it boils down to is simply getting the worse end of your bell curve. Out of 1000 putts within 30 feet you might have 1 putt miss badly, catch bad luck, roll, etc, and you end up further from the basket than you started. When you are standing over the second putt, how you got there doesn't matter unless you let it creep into your mind. It was an anomaly and not a reflection of your ability to putt well, or make the next putt.

If you're sticking really closely to a routine (even when practicing), you are practicing 300-400 putts a week, and this is still a problem for you; then I would practice with some added pressure. That could be a friendly game of around the world for $1, or a reward for making all your 2nd attempts at the practice basket. Anything that would give you motivation. Or play more competitive rounds. It's very common to have to get over the hump before you will feel like your playing (or putting) up to your ability.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2018, 05:18 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 0.5
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 55 Times in 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoobyPls View Post
Last night our regular dubs league had a one-off format change to a PDGA rated singles round. It served as the best example of an ongoing problem I've had this year, where normally easy-to-execute putts become huge problems for me. I have a lofty putt, which lends itself to lower percentages of long putts but very low chance of three-putts since they don't have much speed left when they miss.

But last night:
  • I missed an 8 foot putt
  • Then three-putted a few holes later from within 25 feet
  • Then four-putted after that from within 20 feet, including a wild airball from about 18 feet

It's really only been a problem in rated rounds this year. In fact, my putting's been strong (by my standards) at my tag league. My first thought was it was related to tournament pressure or something. But the environment last night was just more like a casual league night (my buddy was even on the card with me). Has anybody dealt with this in the past, and how did you overcome it?
have one actually balance on the catcher then fall out...devastating
Old 08-19-2018, 08:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 67
Niced 453 Times in 217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomerang View Post
... It's all mental. If you can separate your round from every shot you can get really hot.
This ^^^^^^^^^

Niced: (1)
Old 08-19-2018, 09:18 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 15
Niced 277 Times in 191 Posts

Stop thinking about it so much. Just step up and putt, like 2-3 seconds at most.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-20-2018, 02:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 299 Times in 197 Posts

Definitely something to throw me out of the tilt - start putting with a different disc, change up your style for a hole, make a bunch of 5-footers using your normal putting stance/routine/power.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:49 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 303 Times in 163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhhNegative View Post
Interesting, it's actually opposite for (the top) golfers because of loss aversion.

http://www.golfwrx.com/247705/study-...-birdie-putts/
100%. My PAR save putt is 1020 rated. My birdie putt is 950.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:22 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 27
Niced 408 Times in 220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtydirtybirds View Post
Stop thinking about it so much. Just step up and putt, like 2-3 seconds at most.
I had a tournament last weekend and tried this for short putts so I'd stop overthinking it. Still managed to have a 15-footer chain out, but didn't have any 3-putts. That's improvement, I guess.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:16 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 29
Niced 145 Times in 82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtydirtybirds View Post
This would be my advice. I use it for disc golf putting, ball golf putting, and (most importantly in my world) my baseball pitching routine.

"Don't think, Meat. Just throw." The longer you think and/or the more things you think about lends itself to negative thoughts FAR FAR more often than positive ones. TRUST your muscle memory and athletic instincts/ability. The more you shorten/simplify your routine, the better off you'll be
Old 08-21-2018, 05:45 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 181 Times in 127 Posts

Everyone is right that's its in between the ears, so how do you correct it? I've just switched to the Eagle McMahon routine of practicing all 10-15' putts, and I'll do pushups if I miss one. I think it helps driving muscle memory into place, and it seems to help with driving the disc home. I'm lest shaky getting the disc to the chains, and I hardly yank it right anymore.

Old 08-22-2018, 03:43 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 25
Niced 460 Times in 390 Posts

I have a set routine I use for putts. It is my routine for my putt after having right disc. Routine is first feet in right spot, then my hands with grip I use for putting, and finally the changes I need to do to make the putt work either the further I am from basket or wind conditions. This helps with limiting variation on my putts, and keeps things like feet in the right position for putting, the putting style I use, and then limits how I will overthink my putting 95% of the time.

I used to prior to 2014 do a true Basketball putt with feet togther and almost no spin on the disc, I had such a problem with that putting style that I had to stop using it as I would be convinced I would miss, I would. Now I have a putting style that is going to work, with little things I can do to make it work from further out and when winds get higher and higher up to a point.