Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 40 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceALot View Post
sorry if I missed it...

Is the wizard a retool? From 21.0 diam to 21.2 now?

Are PWPs the closest to G9is? I use 2 mediums acquired from a PIAS years ago, and would like backups as close as possible...TIA
If you're looking for a couple G9i's, I could probably help you out there.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2018, 02:36 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 208
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 841 Times in 432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODRB View Post
I thought you were saying there was another recent batch. Which, if true, would require me to call Gateway and get 20 stamped up with the SP logo.
I can't imagine you liking the G9i more than the PWs anyway. The PWs seem like exactly what you love about the mold.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 127
Niced 927 Times in 464 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
I can't imagine you liking the G9i more than the PWs anyway. The PWs seem like exactly what you love about the mold.
I have a couple G9i that I like very much.

I like throwing the PWs, but they feel off--too deep and high shouldered--for putting (since I am used to lower profiled putting Wizards). I', sure I could switch over time, but....

I am still rotating through my G25s for putting (they're the prefect blend and low profile shape for me). G9i and G25 have about the same profile, and are both very stiff.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:05 PM
I Don't Actually Disc Golf

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,149 Times in 917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
If i look at Infinite Discs and there "softness bar" under the discs,
The Judge Classic is at 4 for softness. . .blend at 5 and soft at 7
Wizard soft is at 4 . . .super soft 7 and super stupid soft at 8
So if this i right the super soft is alot softer than a "blend"
Quote:
But i got my Gateway Evolution Magic today that is listed at a 4 in softness . . but it΄s WAY softer than my DD Classic or Lat64 zero hard that also have a 4 in softness
I have somehow managed to accumulate three Supersoft Wizards and one Soft Wizard, and a whole lot of DD putters in Classic (hard), Classic Blend, and one Prime Deputy.

First, with Gateway, "Soft" is anything but. Soft is more firm than Classic, by a lot, for the most part. "Supersoft" is more in the range of Classic, and Supersoft is more firm than Classic Blend.

I should note that Classic Blend can be pretty firm fresh out of the box, but softens up fairly quickly with putting and/or throwing use.

Second, Gateway's plastics are good, but are all over the map in firmness. SSS can be pretty firm or relatively soft. Supersoft can vary from run to run, from as firm as Soft to as less firm as SSS.

And third, and just like flight numbers, the "softness bar" should not be relied upon with Gospel certitude, so sorry. Especially when talking Gateway plastics.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:03 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 18
Niced 275 Times in 183 Posts

Quote:
If i look at Infinite Discs and there "softness bar" under the discs,

The Judge Classic is at 4 for softness. . .blend at 5 and soft at 7

Wizard soft is at 4 . . .super soft 7 and super stupid soft at 8

So if this i right the super soft is alot softer than a "blend"
No. SSS is often close to Blend, but as a previous poster said, it is not always the case. I have a SSS that is as firm as any Classic Hard Judge I own.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 18
Niced 275 Times in 183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODRB View Post

I am still rotating through my G25s for putting (they're the prefect blend and low profile shape for me). G9i and G25 have about the same profile, and are both very stiff.
I only have one, but I love my G25. I really wish it had become a regular run plastic. I understand most of these one of blends are just a mix of plastic that Gateway happens to get in, but man I wish I could find more of these at reasonable prices. Not that I need any more Wizards. I am still putting with one of the first two I ever got about 3 years later.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:37 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 145 Times in 90 Posts

Quote:
I have somehow managed to accumulate three Supersoft Wizards and one Soft Wizard, and a whole lot of DD putters in Classic (hard), Classic Blend, and one Prime Deputy.

First, with Gateway, "Soft" is anything but. Soft is more firm than Classic, by a lot, for the most part. "Supersoft" is more in the range of Classic, and Supersoft is more firm than Classic Blend.

I should note that Classic Blend can be pretty firm fresh out of the box, but softens up fairly quickly with putting and/or throwing use.

Second, Gateway's plastics are good, but are all over the map in firmness. SSS can be pretty firm or relatively soft. Supersoft can vary from run to run, from as firm as Soft to as less firm as SSS.

And third, and just like flight numbers, the "softness bar" should not be relied upon with Gospel certitude, so sorry. Especially when talking Gateway plastics.
Quote:
No. SSS is often close to Blend, but as a previous poster said, it is not always the case. I have a SSS that is as firm as any Classic Hard Judge I own.
Thanks. . looks like Gatway is not for me, i have too order online and with that much variance in the plastics softness it feels like to much of a gamble
Old 08-22-2018, 08:41 AM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 208
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 841 Times in 432 Posts

Quote:
Thanks. . looks like Gatway is not for me, i have too order online and with that much variance in the plastics softness it feels like to much of a gamble
There are a couple ways to look at this. 1. Plastic feel is #1 for you. No matter how much you fall for any company's blends, chances are when you're ready to replace your putter, the blend will be different because they ran out of the plastic that made your baby and bought more that was close but not the same. 2. For the most part every S-Series (pretty much anything but their Champ-style blend) Wizard flies like a Wizard.

So do you want that perfect feel in hand that isn't really repeatable, or do you want a disc that flies like it should every time?
Old 08-22-2018, 08:51 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 145 Times in 90 Posts

For a putter i basicly want 5-10 in same weight, color, stamp and plastic that all feel the same . . i usually buy one to try, and if i like it so much that it will be my new putter, then i buy 5-10 more.

My plan was to try Gateway and buy one Wizard, Voodoo, Warlock and Magic and to try them out

Old 08-22-2018, 08:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 42
Niced 1,766 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:
For a putter i basicly want 5-10 in same weight, color, stamp and plastic that all feel the same . . i usually buy one to try, and if i like it so much that it will be my new putter, then i buy 5-10 more.

My plan was to try Gateway and buy one Wizard, Voodoo, Warlock and Magic and to try them out
Gateway is really good if you call them directly and outline what you want in a disc and will let you order several of the same feel, flex, plastic etc.

Niced: (2)