Old 08-21-2018, 09:06 PM

Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Stability and use

Do the discs become more understables due to use?
Do you believe that a disc without bumps or imperfections will always behave the same or become understable anyway?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by Rydeen; 08-21-2018 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 38.7
Courses Played: 94
Niced 321 Times in 132 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

All discs become understable with use. Some take longer than others, that depends on the plastic it's made from. Base plastic discs, the cheaper ones, will change quicker that the premium plastics, the more expensive discs.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-21-2018, 10:00 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 522 Times in 257 Posts

I think I read somewhere that discs become more understable when they hit trees and such, because this causes the shape of the disc to change somewhat. Specifically, if the wing is bent down, which hitting trees can do to a disc, the parting line on the disc will likely become lower, making the disc more understable.

Manually bending the wing of a disc upwards will then make it more overstable, probably.

I am pretty sure there are other factors in a disc's stability as well - for instance, turbulence.

Old 08-21-2018, 11:06 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 61 Times in 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydeen View Post
Do the discs become more understables due to use?
Do you believe that a disc without bumps or imperfections will always behave the same or become understable anyway?
Thanks.

yes

they always become less stable

Last edited by gerth_vader; 08-21-2018 at 11:08 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,650 Times in 1,103 Posts

Some discs that are worn in are very sought after. Like Rocs for example will wear in to lose fade so they are dead straight, then wear in to turn so that you can throw them normally RHBH and get a shot that drifts to the right. Teebirds will lose their fade first and hold dead straight lines over a variety of power.

Some other discs get very unpredictable after an amount of wear.

If you watch any pro in the bag videos, some of them will throw like 4 of the same midrange in different wear, and like 5+ drivers in different wear.

Old 08-22-2018, 01:22 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 25
Niced 460 Times in 390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Some discs that are worn in are very sought after. Like Rocs for example will wear in to lose fade so they are dead straight, then wear in to turn so that you can throw them normally RHBH and get a shot that drifts to the right. Teebirds will lose their fade first and hold dead straight lines over a variety of power.

Some other discs get very unpredictable after an amount of wear.

If you watch any pro in the bag videos, some of them will throw like 4 of the same midrange in different wear, and like 5+ drivers in different wear.
Also the other reason is for drivers past 11 speed is that some disc molds have dome variations even in new discs that make one more overstable then the rest but often it can be told that generally one dome type is more overstable then the other.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-22-2018, 01:24 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,650 Times in 1,103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
Also the other reason is for drivers past 11 speed is that some disc molds have dome variations even in new discs that make one more overstable then the rest but often it can be told that generally one dome type is more overstable then the other.
Yeah that's very true that many of the discs start out quite different even in the same mold/plastic. But some of these guys will keep the same disc for a few seasons, starts out OS and works in to be straight, then becomes their understable disc.

Old 08-22-2018, 01:33 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 25
Niced 460 Times in 390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Yeah that's very true that many of the discs start out quite different even in the same mold/plastic. But some of these guys will keep the same disc for a few seasons, starts out OS and works in to be straight, then becomes their understable disc.
Yep because that is how discs work they wear in and get more Understable over time. I tend to have it different with my discs, replacing the mold when it gets too understable by then the disc is too worn in to use for the most part. I am one of the few who will be rotating putting putters as Jawbreaker plastic is this way gets to floppy for a regular putter at some point. This will take the U-2 in Prostyle plastic out of my bag as an uphill/downhill putter as I use the longer putter for the approach putting spot as well as hazard putting. This is the disc I beat to fly straighter and labeled approach putter on it. I do not see the disc rotation to happen until a few years down the road.

Old 08-22-2018, 08:48 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 193 Times in 121 Posts

I usually play with premium plastics so that i have a more consistent disc over time.

Bought a Star Rhyno and a DX Rhyno just for fun. . the first throw i would rate them both att 2/2/0/3 . . . .but after less than 50 throws the DX is more like 2/2/0/1. . at this rate the disc will be flippy in just a few weeks

Really don΄t like discs that changes how thay fly this quick. .

Old 08-22-2018, 10:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 161
Niced 947 Times in 624 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
agreed plh is over rated ive found that the dome impacts the stability far more predictably than the plh when im fingering thru discs at the store i laugh at the people setting them on a table and trying to measure the .01mm difference in plh all you gotta do is peep the dome and your good to go its so easy to predict how the disc will fly based on dome or lack there of