Old 06-17-2019, 11:28 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 120
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 76 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
One reason the mids might be out of favor is because a niche market has come up in what I call the "approach" category. This category of 'fast putters' or ' real slow mids' has grown, including discs like the Stud and Colt, Mirage, Zone (yes, it's not 'new', but it's in the category), A1-A4 by Prodigy, etc.

As for DD, the Deputy was marketed as a throwing putter as much as a putting putter, and Trilogy has put out faster speed putters like the Crown and Marshal.

And on the other side, 'slow' fairway drivers are being used like faster mids these days. All of this has possibly had an effect on mid purchases. As an example of one, I wasn't using any mids at all much of last year (except the Pink Panther and that as a utility disc).

So not too much surprise the mids were severely curtailed, especially the less stable mids that casual ams use more than the pros.
Indeed, my Proxy and Zone cover most of my approaches and Mids don't go THAT much farther so there is only a small distance range in which mids get used.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2019, 11:39 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 48
Niced 745 Times in 518 Posts

I almost never approach with a mid. If I do, it's because I'm on a par 4, or really messed up off the tee.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:58 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 50 Times in 30 Posts

Well, it's easy to see which of the discontinued discs have their admirers, if Disc Golf Center's top sellers is an indication.

Renegade has moved to #5 and is almost sold out.

Suspect is #9.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-17-2019, 07:52 PM
Par Member

Niced 144 Times in 50 Posts

https://youtu.be/HAOs4fVrb-c?t=2798

Interview with Jeremy Rusco talking about the retired molds he mentions that it was a close call on the Verdict being retired. That surprised me and would have been a tough one to live with. He implied that Latitude would have A LOT of discs cut, some truly OOP as the molds are ready to be replaced and they won't do that with these. I got a minor impression of a much smaller cut for Westside. Sounded like it would be a bit before these molds were settled on and announced.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 48
Niced 745 Times in 518 Posts

Lat needs major cuts. Westside not so much.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:08 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 72
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 925 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
Doesn’t Lat have like 60 molds? Can only think of about 12 that people really seem to love. I’ve bagged a XXX and Ballista/Pro at times but can’t think of just a ton that people would riot over losing.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:32 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 26
Niced 375 Times in 227 Posts

I'd be really annoyed if they OOP'd the Ballista. It's the perfect flippy bomber disc for me. I bag the Ballista Pro too, but that would be easier to replace. I've dabbled with other Lat molds but only the Ballista/Pro stuck in my bag.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-17-2019, 10:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 642 Times in 506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
Yeah, Latitude could cut a whole bunch. They have so much redundancy right now it isn't funny.

Missilen
Raketen
Gladiator
Havoc
Knight OR Bolt. One or the other
Villain OR Riot. Or or the other
Halo

I don't see how any retailer could possibly stock all the molds L64 has.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 642 Times in 506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
I'd be really annoyed if they OOP'd the Ballista. It's the perfect flippy bomber disc for me. I bag the Ballista Pro too, but that would be easier to replace. I've dabbled with other Lat molds but only the Ballista/Pro stuck in my bag.
I can't see that happening. IMO the Ballista is one of L64's best molds. It seems to sell well and be wildly popular.

Ballista is still one of my top 3 longest driver molds.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:42 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 26
Niced 375 Times in 227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizunodave View Post
https://youtu.be/HAOs4fVrb-c?t=2798

Interview with Jeremy Rusco talking about the retired molds he mentions that it was a close call on the Verdict being retired. That surprised me and would have been a tough one to live with. He implied that Latitude would have A LOT of discs cut, some truly OOP as the molds are ready to be replaced and they won't do that with these. I got a minor impression of a much smaller cut for Westside. Sounded like it would be a bit before these molds were settled on and announced.
The fact that they even considered cutting the Verdict tells me that they didn't use a good decision-making process for the OOP list. It should not have been as simple as just "well, let's drop the 12 lowest selling molds." Rather, they should have recognized discs that are BOTH low sellers AND overlapping with other better selling molds. And they should have kept discs in production if they're already cutting a similar disc. With the Suspect now OOP, one can reasonably assume the Verdict will see an uptick in sales. Similarly, if they had left a token flippy mid then that likely would have seen a big boost in sales due to the mass murder they did to all the flippy mids around it (selfishly, I would've liked the Evidence to be the token flippy mid to stay in production). Instead, DD now has some extremely crowded parts of their flight chart (stable putters & overstable drivers) and some completely empty slots. That makes no sense. Obviously that gives them some slots to fill in in 2020 & 2021, but for now they have huge gaps.

Niced: (2)