Old 02-20-2011, 08:00 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 828
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 29 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AikoAdam View Post
I may be wrong but from the "pamphlet" I just got with my Wizards and what I have read from Gateway, soft is in relation to the texture or feel of the disc, not necessarily the floppiness. That being said I believe the SSS is supposed to have a flexible rim with a stiff flight plate. Either way it feels pretty rad to me.
This gets missed a lot. They label the plastics by the mix of stuff that goes into them, and it mostly refers to the grip rather than the floppyness.

Personally I putt and approach with SSS wizards, and drive with S and E-HPP wizards.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2011, 12:26 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.6
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,804 Times in 722 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
This gets missed a lot. They label the plastics by the mix of stuff that goes into them, and it mostly refers to the grip rather than the floppyness.
The problem with that is that as a consumer I don't give a flying what the plastic mix is. If you want a disc that is soft to the touch but not floppy, what do you buy? Sometimes it is S, sometimes it is SS and sometimes it is SSS BUT at other times a disc labeled any of those three won't be at all what you are looking for. As a customer it makes it difficult to get what you are looking for, especially if you order online. Then they come back with an explanation that tries to make it seem like my fault, that I just don't "get it." I get it, they can't make consistent runs and don't have the ability to label the end product by anything other that what they put in. They may have a convenient excuse to explain this, but it is still bad customer service.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:28 PM
*Super Moderator*

I get that and I agree for the most part, I was more talking about people arguing over the floppiness of various plastics. I love wizards, but it is irritating to get such wildly different plastics with the same name on them.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:34 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 32
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Somewhere on the Gateway website Dave talks about how they have about 11 plastic mixes which they sort into the 4 softness groups so that anyone can find a perfect disc for them - but due to this, the ideal way to buy Gateway is by touch.
I prefer HPP because they retain their shape, have a grip I like, and are usually pretty flexible, not to mention consistent along these parameters - fun to dye as well.
I also like S for driving and longer stuff, and SSS for actual putting. Organic is nice as well - a firm disc, but fairly soft plastic - love the feel.
When buying online, I'd just call locations with good customer service - MarshallSt and GGGT are my top picks. They'll sort through discs and tell you how floppy they actually are.

Last edited by yawpstang64; 02-20-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:19 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 38
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I would not buy any Gateway putters over the internet. As much as I love their putters, Gateway is very inconsistant with their plastic. I've had SSS that were very hard and smooth, and I've bought (internet) S plastic that was very tacky and super soft. The only plastic I felt safe buying over the internet was their "chalky plastic". If you like a nice tacky grip, but a firm putter, that's one you should check out. But I would buy them at a retail store so you can make sure you are getting the type of plastic you want.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 82
Niced 130 Times in 82 Posts

I've tried all of the Gateway plastics in my Voodoos, and I can honestly say the only ones that I hated were the Ms. I like the tackyness of the firm SSS Voodoos for putting slightly outside the circle and in. I have a "gummy" HPP that I use for anything about 90' and in. I've had an HPP that was super stiff, it was ok for putting inside the circle but not for aproaches, b/c it was too difficult to get good snap on it. The S, SS that I've had have all been fine, just didn't wow me.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:44 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 29
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I like alot of different plastic for wizards. You really have to chein them out in person, or hope what your getting is what you were looking for. I throw soft, evo hpp, and putt with organic wizards. I think the organics are the best runs. They beat in good and have a a nice, grippy feel to them. Check out an orgainc wizard if you want to try one of their putters. You wont be disappointed.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:56 PM
*Super Moderator*

At least with the variations in plastics they still have pretty consistent flights. I haven't found any that didn't fly like a wizard, despite really different feels.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:59 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 53
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't know what run of EVO people are talking about, but I don't like em. I've had 3 of the EVO HPP, and 1 EVO Proline. They are sooo flippy compared to the regular S plastic. (wizards btw)

Although, my buddy had a clear EVO voodoo....that thing was a wizard. Not literally (microbead) but it flew like a brand new out of the box S wizard - maybe even a little more stable.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 53
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think a great idea at least for all their S plastics (and M) would be to make all of the discs for a run, and then sort them out to what is M, S, SS, SSS, and that new SSSS stuff, and then stamp them with the stamp that actually fits what they are.